PDA

View Full Version : extracting ESV section headings

David W. DeBerry
07-28-2007, 10:50 AM
I think it would be handy to have an ascii file containing all of the ESV section headings for personal study, outlining, etc. These appear in the top pulldown box of the main text screen, so I know that ESV "knows" what they are. Is there some way to extract these into an ascii file? What database file are they in?

Thanks much,

David

Michael Hanel
07-28-2007, 12:38 PM
If I understand you correctly, what you're looking for can be found in the BibleWorks 7 directory in the subfolder called "init" I have in mine a file called outline.txt. Is that what you're looking for?

Steve Watkins
07-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Right, that's the Outline file that provides the text for that pulldown menu.

David, Notice that it's a single file - a BibleWorks outline - not specifically an ESV outline. It remains unchanged in that pulldown menu regardless of the version you are using. But you can open it up, print it, even modify it.

jdarlack
07-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I think it would be handy to have an ascii file containing all of the ESV section headings for personal study, outlining, etc. These appear in the top pulldown box of the main text screen, so I know that ESV "knows" what they are. Is there some way to extract these into an ascii file? What database file are they in?Do you know of any text file that is "out there" with these subject headings? I have contacted the ESV blog to see if they know of such a file. If they have one then an outline file for BW would be relatively easy to produce.

SkipB
07-30-2007, 01:45 AM
The Outline in the drop down box is Metzger's originally from RSV. You can export this if you use resource menu. Choose Bible Outline. There is a dialog that lets you export as much as you need

David W. DeBerry
07-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I found the outline.txt file, learned about its source, AND learned more about the Resources resource. Thanks to all!

David