PDA

View Full Version : How to help?

kyriosjesus
07-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi, I'm obviously new as my questions will show:

1) Why does my display window keep going back to only showing one verse at a time, after I already typed "eph 2:11-22"? It displays the section of text properly, but if I do any action, i.e. change to another search tab, etc. It shoots me back to only eph 2:11... what is the deal?

2) I am an intermediate greek student, and searching is very important to me.... I can't seem to find good instructions on how to do basic searches (maybe more advanced than the help section included in BW).

3) Also, the export feature to Teknia Greek doesn't work right, why??? I really like Teknia for no other reason than I am very used to the keyboard layout.

Please help!

paul
07-24-2007, 02:00 PM
on the bottom edge of the program are words in boxes, many of which are probably grayed out. if you click on the "browse" button-word, this may fix your problem. the "browse" is a toggle button that changes the display.

Adelphos
07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
2) I am an intermediate greek student, and searching is very important to me.... I can't seem to find good instructions on how to do basic searches (maybe more advanced than the help section included in BW).

In section 19 of the Help File there are numerous examples of how to do searches. Have you tried any of those?

If you have a specific search that you don't know how to do, post the details here and someone can probably give you the steps you need.

However, it would be a good idea to first go through the examples in the help file and also to watch the videos that come with BW which demonstrate how numerous searches are done.

The examples in section 19 of the help file cover quite a range of searches.

doc_dave
07-25-2007, 08:38 AM
I'll take a shot, though some of these are guesses, and I'm not always clear on what it is you're trying to do....

1) Why does my display window keep going back to only showing one verse at a time, after I already typed "eph 2:11-22"? It displays the section of text properly, but if I do any action, i.e. change to another search tab, etc. It shoots me back to only eph 2:11... what is the deal?

My hunch is that although the "Search" window has 12 different tabs, the window only has a single instance of "settings". When you do something in any one tab, it affects the display of the others. The best you might hope for is to use the "browse" toggle as Paul already suggested. Or, if you want to keep a passage open in a given display while performing other searches, you could use the "Parallel Versions" button (looks like a 4-paned window) to keep your primary text open (e.g., Eph 2:11-22 in a couple English versions plus Greek) while performing other searches in the "Search" window itself. Works for me....

As Adelphos suggested, the Help section 19 ("Command Line - Examples and Shortcuts") gives you quick access to a wide variety of searches, some of them quite powerful. I'm not sure what "more advanced" searching you would be wanting while asking about "how to do basic searches"! ;) If you want to look for instances of the genetive absolute, etc., see the online help for the "Graphical Search Engine (GSE)", sections 20-23, and be prepared to give it a bit of time.

3) Also, the export feature to Teknia Greek doesn't work right, why??? I really like Teknia for no other reason than I am very used to the keyboard layout.

I don't know Teknia Greek, but a quick check suggests it is a "legacy" True-Type Font. BibleWorks uses its own TTF fonts, of course, and these types of fonts are not interchangeable, as you have discovered. :( But! :) I would strongly recommend you begin to learn how to use Unicode fonts, which are interchangeable. Windows' Palatino Linotype is a good one for Greek (not Hebrew!). See Help section 30: "Setup Options", > "Font Options" for further information.

It might be a bit of a climb to start with, but the resources unleashed fairly soon will make it all worth it!

David Reimer