PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP - no text in search window

Egregora
07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I am a newbie in this.. and I apologize if my questions is rather idiotic.

I have a strange problem: whichever version I choose to be displayed in search window, no text shows up under the command line - it is always blank. Consequently when I type in some word for searching, nothing happens.

Could someone please tell me solve this?

Thank you very much!

Steve Watkins
07-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Hmm. Start with the easiest things first (which you probably already have!)

One common oversight in searching from the command line is the code tag that has to preface the search words. For a basic word or multi-word (AND) search, you need to type a period (".") first, then the word or words you want to search for. Again, you probably knew that - but without any other info, that's a good place to start.

Egregora
07-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Thank you for your reply. As you can see in the attached photo of my screen, there is simply no text in the "search" part of the program. Whichever text verion I happen to choose, it is always blank.

Any idea?

paul
07-21-2007, 03:05 AM
Steve's response is a good one. try typing ".grace" w/out the quotation marks in the white space above the empty search window.

alpha0r
07-21-2007, 04:31 PM
You can also try right clicking on a word and selecting "search on word" for english texts or "search on form" for Greek and Hebrew texts.

Steve Watkins
07-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Thank you for your reply. As you can see in the attached photo of my screen, there is simply no text in the "search" part of the program. Whichever text verion I happen to choose, it is always blank.

Any idea?

The text itself will appear in the middle frame (the "Browse Window"), once you have initiated a search. The left pane - the one that is empty in your screen capture - is called the "Search Window". It won't contain any results until you specify a search. The line above the search window is the "Command Line", where you can enter a search string. For example, click inside the Command Line, and type ".kingdom god" - without the quotes. Just a period, and the words. This initiates a search of all verses which contain the words "kingdom" and "god" in the same verse. The list of those verses will appear in the Search Window below, in the left pane. Then you can click on those verses to show them in their context, and they will appear that way in the center Browse Window.

Does that help?

Egregora
07-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Thank you guys! It indeed solved my problem!