PDA

View Full Version : Features *removed* in BWks 7?

doc_dave
07-12-2007, 03:59 PM
I have BWks 7 installed, updated, and working happily on my machine. Basically, I'm happy too!

Who isn't happy is Mrs. Doc_Dave! She used to use the simple interface in version 6 that was dumped in v. 7. She does not want to bother learning the command line. She made frequent use of the easy user interface in v. 6, but I doubt she'll be firing up v. 7 very often, if at all. Quite a shame!

And then I noticed something. Having used BWks since v. 3 on Win 3.11, I much preferred the "browse" behaviour of the "browse" button that seems to be missing from v. 7. I found it much to be preferred over the drop-down menus for book-chapter-verse from the Browse Window, since you could set up a complete reference before hitting "go", rather than getting first Book 1:1, then Book 6:1, then Book 6:12 (which is what you wanted in the first place) (if you see what I mean).

I have searched the forum in vain, and checked FAQs and the main BWks website to see what has been removed from BWks 7 that was present in 6. Can anyone point me to a list of such? And does anyone know if there is any way of getting some of that old functionality back!!

Many thanks, David Reimer

SCSaunders
07-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Dave,

Just give this a thought: I tried it for awhile. Load 6 back on, but in a different folder and only with the options [custom installation] that your wife likes.

There was a time when I had 5, 6 and 7 loaded on mine. Don't ask me why. Not a real good use of my HD real estate. I'm over it.

As for the list you are looking for, don't know what to tell you.

Hope things work out!

Glenn Weaver
07-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi David,

Sorry for the problems you are experiencing with the revised interface in BW7. Maybe these comparisons between the BW6 Beginner Mode and BW7 interface will help:

Instead of the Search button:
--to search for a word, type a period "." on the Command Line, followed by the word, and hit Enter.
--to search for a phrase, type a single quote mark "/" followed by the phrase, and hit Enter.

Instead of the Lookup button:
To display a bible verse, type it on the Command Line and hit enter.

I'm not sure what "Browse button" you are missing. If you could be more specific about the location of the button, I may be able to help. Do you have an buttons displaying at the top of the Browse Window?

BTW, you can type the reference on the Command Line. The fastest way to get to the Command Line is to press the Escape key on your keyboard. Then type the book name abbreviation, followed by the chapter and verse, and hit Enter. There is no need to use a colon or comma between the chapter and verse. If you are already displaying the book you want, then you can simply type the chapter and verse. If the proper chapter is already displaying, you can simply enter the verse number.

I know this isn't quite what you are wanting to hear, but I hope this helps.

Glenn

doc_dave
07-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks SC: reinstalling the old version has crossed my mind!

Thanks, too, Glenn: education seems so much more preferable than reinstalling! I have given the "dot + word" tutorial ... shocking what resistance there is to this procedure when before you only had to type in the word without a dot! ;)

I have long been typing references onto the command line -- I didn't know you could leave off book name and chapter number as appropriate. Thanks for that!

Just so you know, I append below the pictures of the relevant button and the "box" it opens ... or used to!

http://www.reimer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tfr/Bwks_button.png

http://www.reimer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tfr/Bwks_box.png

Glenn Weaver
07-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi David,

Oh yes, the Browse Box. Now I remember. It seemed so redundant with the dropdown lists boxes that we removed it. We tried to remove as many popup windows as we could without sacrificing functionality.

Blessings,
Glenn

MGVH
07-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Well, there is still the "Bible Outline" button which can be added to the buttonbar, and it does pretty much the same thing.

SCSaunders
07-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Here's a hidden gem (among others) that makes learning BW7 worth the effort ...
http://i19.tinypic.com/6ff9cg7.jpg
Red has been good. Blue reminded me too much of hyperlinks.

doc_dave
07-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Oh yes, the Browse Box. Now I remember. It seemed so redundant with the dropdown lists boxes that we removed it. We tried to remove as many popup windows as we could without sacrificing functionality.

Ah! So that explains it. It's a wee shame all the same, as it does the job differently from the dropdown list boxes (as I noted in my first post).

As long as you're not sacrificing performance or bloat, a bit of redundancy like this is a good thing, I reckon: when I'm working hands-to-keyboard, I use the "type reference on command line" method; but if I was hand-to-mouse, I used the browse box which, to my mind, is preferable to the dropdown lists which clutter your verse history (since it jumps to "incomplete" references).

Anyway, thanks for the insight. I will mourn the loss of the browse box ... and hope for its resurrection! :)

And yes, after many years there is still plenty more of BibleWorks to learn!

David Kummerow
07-15-2007, 11:46 PM
As I raised here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1625), the Whitaker lexicon was removed in BW 7. The possible suggested solution (other than having both BW 6 and 7 loaded) did not work, so Whitaker is lost when upgrading.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

SCSaunders
07-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Anyway, thanks for the insight. I will mourn the loss of the browse box ... and hope for its resurrection! :)I hear ya Doc_Dave. But look at it this way ... if it hadn't been sacrificed, nobody would have been moved to compose such a wonderfully emotional piece as: Via Dolorosa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4G5b9ohl1s).

doc_dave
07-17-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks for all the input on this.

(@David Kummerow: I read the thread you linked with interest!)

I guess one upshot of this -- since clearly other users are caught off guard by things "missing" from upgrades, rather than "added" -- is that the use of the forum to inform current users of differences (not just additions) between versions will be a great help!

Bottom line for me is, there isn't another Bible software programme I would rather use!

... and when will the cross-platform version be ready? ;)

David

SCSaunders
07-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the input on this.

(@David Kummerow: I read the thread you linked with interest!)

I guess one upshot of this -- since clearly other users are caught off guard by things "missing" from upgrades, rather than "added" -- is that the use of the forum to inform current users of differences (not just additions) between versions will be a great help!

Bottom line for me is, there isn't another Bible software programme I would rather use!

... and when will the cross-platform version be ready? ;)

DavidThe Bible Works folks could have some fun with this in future publications, given that the software is designed for people who read very carefully. Maybe the missing or old school stuff could be under a heading called "Anarthrous" or "Elided" or "Apocapated."

Exegetes as a group should show [once every blue or purple moon] that we are capable of inside humor that everyone can grasp.