PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy

JosephPrude
07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Hello everyone

I am a Pastor in Cleveland Ohio. I don't have a working knowledge of Greek or Hebrew. I currently use Word Search 7 for all my study. I have used the strong number system for many years and have made myself familiar with many Hebrew and Greek words. My question is, is this program over kill for me or would it be a step up that I could get use out of without have the knowledge of the these languages.

Thanks

arggem
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Is it overkill? Probably. I think very few people use this program to its fullest potential. But it is, I believe, the best original language tool on the PC platform.

I'm recovering from pneumonia, so I don't really have the energy to respond too much to your question, but here is a link to a similar thread (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566&).

There are tools that require minimal or non existent original language knowledge, AND there are ways to get at some of the technical data even if you don't know the language (certainly, though, not a substitute for knowledge of Greek/Hebrew).

BW7 is CERTAINLY a step up, and probably has tools you can use. In the final analysis it depends on what you want to do that you can't do in Word Search and if you have the money to purchase BW.

Any how, I need to go take a nap, so I'll let someone else give you a better (more coherent answer).

oh, btw...there is a no risk, money back guarantee.

Adelphos
07-11-2007, 05:59 PM
I am a Pastor in Cleveland Ohio. I don't have a working knowledge of Greek or Hebrew. I currently use Word Search 7 for all my study. I have used the strong number system for many years and have made myself familiar with many Hebrew and Greek words. My question is, is this program over kill for me or would it be a step up that I could get use out of without have the knowledge of the these languages.

You will benefit greatly from the pop-ups alone (IOW, when you hover over a Greek or Hebrew word, the pop-up will give you the meaning AND the parsing), even if you don't utilize any other feature in BW. But of course, you will not be able to help yourself from exploring other features.

In short, the program will not only help you improve your original language skills, but it will do many other things that you will just sort of fall into once you begin using it.

And for what you get, the price is ridicuously low. (Any BW folks who might happen to be reading this can ignore that comment). :cool:

I think you will be amazed at what benefits you will enjoy from this program, even without knowing Greek or Hebrew. The color coding, for example, will allow you to compare between English versions. You will be able to see all sorts of different statistics with even a simple search. And so forth and so on.

You can't go wrong with this package, and you get so very, very, very much in the base package alone, especially when compared to all other programs. That is, you get in BW for free what you have to pay royalites for in other software programs. There is simply a plethora of products involved in the base package of BW, and in that domain, as well as many others, BW is simply head and shoulders above any other available product.

So in case you can't tell, my advice is to buy the package right away! -:) Furthermore, and this really should be the clincher, you can use BW for thirty days, and then if you're not satisfied with it, you can send it back and get a full refund. That's a deal that don't require rocket scientry.

Of course, as I'm sure you know, nothing will replace prayer and personal Bible study, regardless of the language.

JosephPrude
07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for prompt response and info.

Gontroppo
07-12-2007, 10:54 AM
And ... it would be worthwhile to work towards gaining as much facility in biblical languages as you can, Joseph, if you are going to be teaching others about God's Word, which was not written in English.

The more you learn, the more you will appreciate the published English translations of the bible, and the more you will be able to evaluate the arguments in commentaries and books about the bible.

Harold6
07-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Pastor,

Trust me! With this program, it is not a matter of "if" you should buy, the question is: "When are you going to place your order?"

Harold Miller, Jr., Pastor
New Hope Baptist Church
Covington, GA