PDA

View Full Version : Are there drawbacks in changing to Mac?

rrgonzales
06-30-2007, 05:25 PM
I am currently a PC user who is seriously considering a switch to MacBook Pro. However, I love my Bibleworks 7 program, and I'm not crazy about the idea of switching to Accordance. From what I understand, the new Macs can run windows or a program the runs windows based software. Can those who use Bibleworks with Mac share some of the pros and cons of using Bibleworks with Mac?

Thanks,
Bob Gonzales, Dean
Reformed Baptist Seminary

paul
07-01-2007, 12:24 PM
i am exactly with you, except my next WILL BE a mac.

Dogfish Jones
07-01-2007, 04:27 PM
With virtualization options like VMWare and Parallels (which is what I use), you'll hardly notice the difference between using BW on a mac or on a PC. I haven't noticed any cons to running BW on my mac. It's just awesome.

The only main disadvantage is the power consumption hit taken when running Parallels while on battery power. That isn't so much a knock on running BW on a mac as it is a reality of running a VM machine while on batteries.

deut3221
07-01-2007, 04:49 PM
A few years ago I bought a Mac just to find out why their customers were so loyal. Now I know, having jettisoned all of my PCs.

I too appreciate Bible Works. It is an excellent program, especially for original language work, but so is Accordance. My aim is not to try to convince you that one program is better than the other; both are outstanding.

If you want to run Windows apps, both Parallels and VM Wares simulators are terrific. Both make it a snap; however, you do have the pain of still having to put up with Windows.

And, it is a pain! Takes time, etc. If you are willing to maintain two OSs then, by all means buy a Mac. But, count the cost first.

The bottom line is time, time to learn a new OS, time to learn new programs, and time to maintain two operating systems.

Personally, I'd never run another Windows OS if I didn't have to. Mac is so much easier, more elegant, etc etc. It's not even a fair comparison. For the life of me, I don't know why anyone would put up with a Windows PC. But, I'm a turncoat, Mac true believer.

Good luck with your decision.

Andrew Fincke
07-01-2007, 09:55 PM
I need help with the display of the Targum. The variants arfe in the same color as the text. I tried to start a new thread, but don't know how.

Dogfish Jones
07-02-2007, 11:03 AM
I need help with the display of the Targum. The variants arfe in the same color as the text. I tried to start a new thread, but don't know how.On the General Bibleworks Discussion page, the page that lists all of the threads to read, click the "new thread" button at the top left of the board. Voila! New thread.

Dogfish Jones
07-02-2007, 11:05 AM
btw, for those interested in running BW on a Mac, do a search for 'mac' and you'll get a ton of threads discussing using BW on a Mac with parallels, bootcamp (both of which work great) and crossover (which doesn't work for any version of BW after version 5). To my knowledge, no one is using VMWare yet, but I would expect that to be a good option as well.

Ben Spackman
07-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Once I figured out what I was doing, (setting up Parallels correctly) I've had no problems at all. Not going back to PCs. When my Dell desktop dies, it will be replaced with an Apple.

jkragenb
07-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Bob -

I was actually one of the first (perhaps the first? http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529) to use BW7 on a MacBook Pro via Parallels, and I have never had any problems, even back when the Intel Macs first came out and Parallels was in beta. The only real drawbacks (beyond those mentioned above) are:
(1) copying and pasting from BW to Mac loses formatting
(2) cost
(3) modest hassle factor of booting Windows everytime you want to use your Bible software

I know you said you are not crazy about switching to Accordance, so don't - use both! I became a BW user long ago on my PC, but I have really come to appreciate Accordance in my 1.5 yrs on the Mac. If you have the resources available to you, give Accordance a try - it has many wonderful features you can't get elsewhere. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how you can use both BW and Accordance profitably in your study. And the folks at Oak Tree (Accordance) - like the folks at BW - are very friendly and helpful. We are blessed to have such excellent options on both platforms.

Jim

tlw5560
07-03-2007, 10:56 AM
I run BW 7.0 on a intel macbook via parallels 3.0 and it runs great--I use Accordance on my power PC imac. (And yes--I do spend too much money on computers and software!). Accordance is not yet "Universal" so it runs on Rosetta on intel macs. The performance hit is slight, but at times noticeably slow (Mac users will note the infamous "spinning wheel" when your system's resources are taxed to the max). BW 7.0 on parallels is really fast--I do have a bug when I use the command line assistant. I will type a word/phrase and the first letter will appear in the command line assistant then the rest will be "appear" in the command line. I loaded Windows 2000 instead of XP on parallels--It is a less demanding and less buggy than XP and runs BW well. Parallels does take some time to load, but it has a coherence mode that allows BW to function as if it were a mac program. BW 7.0 is the only windows program I use--so I am pretty much a total mac convert.

brian stewart
07-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I just purchased a new Apple MacBook and I am trying to figure out how to load my BibleWorks 7 on to it. Can anyone offer some simple instructions.

Thanks

Brian

Ben Spackman
07-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Do you have a copy of Parallels or VMWare? You need one of the two and a legitimate copy of Windows before you can get started.