PDA

View Full Version : Calvin's Commentaries Old Testament

Attie Bogaards
06-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Calvin's commentaries (Old Testament) for BW is available at the following address:

www.enigstetroos.org/usermodules.htm (http://www.enigstetroos.org/usermodules.htm)

Again this is the result of the hard work and great effort of mr Willem Swanepoel of Krugersdorp in Sout Africa. And this really was a hard work. Great thanks to Willem.

He is already busy with the commentaries on the New Testament.

Enjoy it!

In Christ,
Attie Bogaards

Steve Watkins
06-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Thanks so much for these modules.

One problem:

I renamed each file as Pasquale instructed, and modified the CHD file. Then I placed them into the 'databases' directory and launched BibleWorks. The resource came up fine, but it does not display any content in the HTML window.

I think that this is because the SDX file is looking for "calvin.chm", where the name has been changed to "calvinOT.chm". Am I correct that the content of SDX file needs to be changed as well as the CHD content? If so - how is that changed, since the SDX is not a simple text-file? I suspect it needs to be recomipled, and am not familiar with that procedure.

Thanks again, guys!

Steve Watkins
06-15-2007, 02:33 AM
That did it!

Thanks so much, Pasquale.

And many thanks to Willem for the creation of this module, and to Attie and Pasquale and all the others who do so much work that we all benefit from.

It is greatly appreciated!

Attie Bogaards
06-15-2007, 02:46 AM
I have uploaded a patch at http://www.enigstetroos.org/usermodules.htm with the following message:

You must rename the calvin.chm to calvinot.chm
Downoad the following patch: Download (http://www.enigstetroos.org/calvin_patch.zip)
There is two files in the zip file: calvinot.chd and calvinot.sdx
Copy these two files plus calvinot.chm to c:\program files\bibleworks\databases

Attie

jdarlack
06-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi Attie,

We can post the revised files as a zip file to the BibleWorks blog (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org) if you like. If not, we can simply link to your page.

Blessings,

Dan Phillips
06-15-2007, 01:15 PM
All right (sigh). What did I do wrong?

Here's what I have in databases:

calvin.chd 1KB
calvin.chm 2591KB
calvin.sdx 72KB
calvinot.chd 1KB
calvinot.sdx 532KB

kimuspr
06-15-2007, 02:09 PM
I changed the file name to calvinot.chm
But I got a message...
"The resource file is no unlocked..."
I cannot find the calvin comm. in the section of UNLOCK DATABASE to unlock.
Any idea?
Many thanks.

jdarlack
06-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Just delete ALL your Calvin OT commentary files. Then, download and unzip this file and put the unzipped files in your /bibleworks/databases/ folder.

Download Updated files here. (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/module/calvinot.zip)

Dan Phillips
06-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Darlack Rocks.

Thanks!

kimuspr
06-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Finally, we got it.
Thank you.

Willem Swanepoel
06-16-2007, 04:57 AM
To everyone who find it useful:

Converting the Online Bible version of the commentaries to BibleWorks is a huge task. There are several problems to overcome in the conversion:

The source is not in HTML and needs to be converted.
Extracting from Online Bible is not a simple task. It essentially has to be done one chapter at a time.
The are many errors in the various versions which are available. These errors range from incorrect footnotes to left out portions of the commentary. These need to be corrected as they are spotted. Often, I have to revert back to my printed version to correct such errors.
Scripture references for BibleWorks work differently to those in Online Bible and need to be converted. This means that one has to actually page through the entire commentary!
Just converting the existing to HTML would not give it the look and feel that you see in the final product. I do a lot of touching up particularly in the way footnotes are displayed to make things look pretty.What makes the effort worthwhile for me is to see that the BibleWorks user-community out there finds the result useful and appreciates my efforts.

I have already started the conversion of the New Testament commentaries by John Calvin and will make those available as soon as they are done. It will be incorporated with the current Old Testament commentaries.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Willem Swanepoel

Steve Watkins
06-16-2007, 12:50 PM
What makes the effort worthwhile for me is to see that the BibleWorks user-community out there finds the result useful and appreciates my efforts.

Well I for one am very, very grateful for all of the effort, Willem. I know that it is a huge undertaking, and requires a lot of time, patience, and skill. But the end-result is an extremely valuable module for BibleWorks users. I look forward to the next installment! Thanks so much.

Dan Phillips
06-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks so much, Willem.

BigJayOneill
06-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Willem and Darlack,

Thanks for your efforts! :)

If we could only get a translation of the "Prophets Targum" in English!:rolleyes:

paul
06-18-2007, 01:19 AM
Willem, i want to add another thank you for the gift you have provided us.

xhapis
06-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi!

Can't seem to open the file although i can access it to
resources>commentary>John Calvin, Commentary

All the books are there but can't seem to display the actual text file.

Dan Phillips
06-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Did you use Darlack's zip file, on the previous page?

Do you get an error? If so, which?

alpha0r
06-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Hi!

Can't seem to open the file although i can access it to
resources>commentary>John Calvin, Commentary

All the books are there but can't seem to display the actual text file.

To see the text, you must "unblock" the html file. Go to the Bibleworks 7 database folder, right click on the html file, and click on properties. Now at the bottom of the properties box click the button labeled "unblock" then the "apply" button. Now you should be all set.

xhapis
06-19-2007, 12:43 PM
The "unblock" properties did it!
Its working already!

xhapis
06-19-2007, 12:56 PM
To see the text, you must "unblock" the html file. Go to the Bibleworks 7 database folder, right click on the html file, and click on properties. Now at the bottom of the properties box click the button labeled "unblock" then the "apply" button. Now you should be all set.

This feature seems to be for Vista users only.
Thanks for the prompt reply! :)

alpha0r
06-19-2007, 03:43 PM
This feature seems to be for Vista users only.
Thanks for the prompt reply! :)

This problem also happens with XP. I'm not sure why some computers do this but I think it is some sort of security feature.

kitwalker
07-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Absolutely brilliant!! Thanks a million!!

So happy to have saved so much money and so much shelf space!

Willem Swanepoel
07-05-2007, 04:38 AM
Willem and Darlack,

Thanks for your efforts! :)

If we could only get a translation of the "Prophets Targum" in English!:rolleyes:

Hi,
Do you have this in some electronic form? I will gladly attempt to convert it for BibleWorks.

Regards,
Willem Swanepoel