PDA

View Full Version : SBL font

Stefan Green
05-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi
I changed the Hebrew font under Tools/Options to SBL Hebrew Font, both for the Search Windows Fonts and Browse Windows Fonts. Everything looked fine after having restarted BW 7 18x.10 (Win XP) until I opened the window for Greek/Hebrew Lexicon. In HALOT all hebrew text/words changed to questionmarks (?). When I changes back to BW heb font everything was ok, also with HALOT. Is this something that has been discussed before in this Forum? If this is the way BW functions when chosing SBL Hebrew Font in Options, then SBL Hebrew Font cannot be used in this way (?). Any solutions? Answers?
Thank you
Stefan Green

Adelphos
05-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi
I changed the Hebrew font under Tools/Options to SBL Hebrew Font, both for the Search Windows Fonts and Browse Windows Fonts. Everything looked fine after having restarted BW 7 18x.10 (Win XP) until I opened the window for Greek/Hebrew Lexicon...

When I change the Search and Browse window fonts to SBL Hebrew, I get question marks in the Search and Browse windows, not just in the lexicons.

IOW, SBL Hebrew doesn't work at all for me except in export unicode fonts, which I suspect is really all that the SBL font was included for in the first place. I don't think the SBL font was intended to replace the BWHEBB font in the Browse and Search windows, but I could be wrong.

David Kummerow
05-27-2007, 09:30 PM
The font problem you are experiencing is due to the fact that BW is still non-unicode internally. So selecting a Hebrew unicode font for internal display in the program will have problems. Unicode exporting is supported in which BW converts the selected internal non-unicode Hebrew text to unicode.

Perhaps in the future BW will support unicode internally. I would like this myself as I could then use the Microsoft language bar to type Hebrew with a keyboard mapping I prefer.

Hope this helps,
David.

Stefan Green
05-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Thank you for the answers.
Let see forward to 100% unicode support in perhaps next future version of BW, so there is a freedom for the user to streamline even more BW according to needs. Because is it is possible to change to SBL Fonts in Options it would strange not to have the possibility to use unicode 100%, especially when there are clear advantages in doing so (e.g. on my computer I find SBL fonts more clear on screen than BW heb fonts).
Stefan

Stefan Green
05-28-2007, 09:00 AM
When I change the Search and Browse window fonts to SBL Hebrew, I get question marks in the Search and Browse windows, not just in the lexicons.

When I changed to SBL Hebrew for my Search and Browse window the heb text was ok and actually little bit more clear than the BW Heb font. It did not have the effect you describe above.

IOW, SBL Hebrew doesn't work at all for me except in export unicode fonts, which I suspect is really all that the SBL font was included for in the first place. I don't think the SBL font was intended to replace the BWHEBB font in the Browse and Search windows, but I could be wrong.

Well, it is strange that you can change to SBL Hebrew if it is not supposed to work in Search and Browse window. Just a thought and a question to BW support.

Stefan