PDA

View Full Version : Generating a Vocabulary List

KramerK
05-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Besides the vocabulary flashcard module, is there any way of generating vocabulary lists (with definitions) using BW, say for the Septuagint?

Thanks.

Ben Spackman
05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Yes there is, via TOOLS>REPORT Generator.

Pick your range of verses (or whole testament) you want the vocab from, and pick which lexicon(s) you want as the definition source. Uncheck everything from teh "report options" box except "include lexicon entries."

Hit build report. You can include the analyzed text, filter out common words, etc., by playing with the report generator options.

SCSaunders
05-24-2007, 07:03 AM

Pick your range of verses (or whole testament) you want the vocab from, and pick which lexicon(s) you want as the definition source. Uncheck everything from teh "report options" box except "include lexicon entries."

Hit build report. You can include the analyzed text, filter out common words, etc., by playing with the report generator options.Very helpful! Thanks.

KramerK
05-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Hit build report. You can include the analyzed text, filter out common words, etc., by playing with the report generator options.

Thanks for the help, but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for (or I could be really dense). How would you go about doing that for the Septuagint? Would it be possible to take that information and import it into the Flashcard module? Even more dreamy: would it be possible to export the list into something like Excel?

Is anyone catching my drift? I'm trying to compile a list of Septuagint vocabulary similar to the ones in the flashcard module:

Lemma | Oversimplified definition
" | "

I'm trying to build a reading vocabulary for the LXX.

Thought/Ideas?

Michael Hanel
05-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the help, but I don't think that's exactly what I'm looking for (or I could be really dense). How would you go about doing that for the Septuagint? Would it be possible to take that information and import it into the Flashcard module? Even more dreamy: would it be possible to export the list into something like Excel?

Is anyone catching my drift? I'm trying to compile a list of Septuagint vocabulary similar to the ones in the flashcard module:

Lemma | Oversimplified definition
" | "

I'm trying to build a reading vocabulary for the LXX.

Thought/Ideas?

A BW user emailed me the other day saying he had an addition of all words in the LXX that occur 100+ times. He took his definitions from LEH I believe. I have not yet received the files, but when I do, I will post them.

Otherwise, to my knowledge no one has done a Vocab file for all of the vocab in the LXX, but it would be quite helpful! If you do it or have others help, I would suggest at gradually winnowing it down, like taking words that occur 50x+, 30x+ etc. It'll help give you goals to work for rather than having one large mess of words.

Ben Spackman
05-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Whether it's in the simplified form you're looking for, you can do this for the LXX by setting BGT or LXT as your version to analyze in the report generator, and the LEH as your lexicon. Probably too much information for flash cards.

alpha0r
05-24-2007, 09:26 PM
A BW user emailed me the other day saying he had an addition of all words in the LXX that occur 100+ times. He took his definitions from LEH I believe. I have not yet received the files, but when I do, I will post them.

Michael, I have the vocab file but I do not have your email. I messaged you through the fourm and I dont belive you can send a file though the fourm email.

Besides the vocabulary flashcard module, is there any way of generating vocabulary lists (with definitions) using BW, say for the Septuagint?

Thanks.

The word list manager is your best bet for this job. Bibleworks html help
has a section that covers this question. Open up the word list manager and hit
F1 to get a good feel for how it works. Then open up the html help and search for
"lexicon, making a; using the word list manager." The tutorial is very good and easy to follow.

Michael Hanel
05-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Michael, I have the vocab file but I do not have your email. I messaged you through the fourm and I dont belive you can send a file though the fourm email.

Hmm, I emailed you back but apparently it never happened. Email me at my full name listed above with a period in the middle instead of a space and followed by gmail.com