PDA

View Full Version : To Vista or Not to Vista

MBushell
05-21-2007, 01:55 PM
We get occasional questions about whether or not we recommend people switching to Vista. We have generally recommended that people stay away from Vista. BibleWorks runs on Vista, but there are fewer problems on XP (for all apps, not just BW). The disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. It seems however like Microsoft won't take "no" for an anwer. Not only will they be discontinuing support for XP in a couple of years, they are also taking steps to make your hardware incompatible with the next OS. Most PC platforms are still 32 bit but Microsoft says that the next OS will be 64 bit only. That means that most of you cannot run the next OS (due out in a couple of years - haha) on your current PC. The announcement is described below. It seems clear that Microsoft has little concern for the welfare of its users. My advice: stick with XP for as long as you can and don't buy any new hardware.

"Microsoft has used its annual hardware engineering conference to announce that Windows Vista and Server 2008 will be the last versions of Windows capable of booting on 32-bit CPUs such as Intel Pentium 4 and Core Duo. AMD, which introduced 64-bit CPUs early - much to the derision of Intel, which said there was no use for them at the time - must be delighted with Microsoft's decision. Owners of first-generation Intel Macs that used (32-bit only) Core Duo CPUs may not be so happy knowing that Vista will be the last Windows they will be able to run."

Michael Hanel
05-21-2007, 02:09 PM
We get occasional questions about whether or not we recommend people switching to Vista. We have generally recommended that people stay away from Vista. BibleWorks runs on Vista, but there are fewer problems on XP (for all apps, not just BW). The disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. It seems however like Microsoft won't take "no" for an anwer. Not only will they be discontinuing support for XP in a couple of years, they are also taking steps to make your hardware incompatible with the next OS. Most PC platforms are still 32 bit but Microsoft says that the next OS will be 64 bit only. That means that most of you cannot run the next OS (due out in a couple of years - haha) on your current PC. The announcement is described below. It seems clear that Microsoft has little concern for the welfare of its users. My advice: stick with XP for as long as you can and don't buy any new hardware.

"Microsoft has used its annual hardware engineering conference to announce that Windows Vista and Server 2008 will be the last versions of Windows capable of booting on 32-bit CPUs such as Intel Pentium 4 and Core Duo. AMD, which introduced 64-bit CPUs early - much to the derision of Intel, which said there was no use for them at the time - must be delighted with Microsoft's decision. Owners of first-generation Intel Macs that used (32-bit only) Core Duo CPUs may not be so happy knowing that Vista will be the last Windows they will be able to run."

I suppose it's still to unrealistic to hope another operating system like Linux can step up and fill the gap. Someone out there needs to buy up hoards of Windows XP CDs. Trust me there will always be a market for them in the next couple of years.

Columcille
05-21-2007, 03:33 PM
BibleWorks forums become Slashdot, obligatory Microsoft bashing included? Wow. Seems a bit off topic to me, however. Protests about this news are somewhat silly. Even assuming MS releases a new OS in a couple of years, the need for new hardware would already be somewhat established. Can you run Vista on that PC you bought two years ago? New operating systems tend to require new hardware, and 64 bit processors are becoming more common. I'm surprised that Microsoft is making this move, but not altogether displeased.

As for Vista vs XP, this announcement has nothing to do with either Vista or XP. I agree that Vista was released too early, a little more debugging should have been done first, but it's still a good OS and an improvement on XP. Wait for Vista SP1 then go out and buy it. And when their next OS is released, use it as an excuse to buy that shiny new 64 bit machine that you will by then be wanting.

MBushell
05-22-2007, 09:42 AM
The question of what the best platform is to run BibleWorks really isn't off topic. There are some features in BibleWorks that won't work in BW on Vista or won't work as well because of the new UAC "features". There are some things that are better in Vista. They fixed some long-standing bugs in the way Chinese is handled, for example. But the list of such things is short and the list of problems is long. For support reasons I dual boot with Vista and XP on a daily basis and I am always amazed at how much more responsive XP is. That's not bashing. It's just a sad fact. I really WANT to like Microsoft. But they make it hard. So when someone asks "what is the best OS to run BibleWorks?" we have to say "XP by a mile". That's on topic I think.
Mike

MBushell
05-22-2007, 01:34 PM
That's a whole other story. Mac has it's own problems. The problem is not the OS, it's a mentality that is pervading all of Western civilzation, that short term profit is more important than producing a quality product. Companies used to be controlled by a Christian work ethic. That seems to be true of fewer and fewer companies. Mac is not immune to it. It just can't get away with as much because it is smaller. Switching platforms is not a solution. Prayer is. OK, I guess we are off topic now. Mea culpa.

Mike Lane
05-23-2007, 01:19 AM
So Michael any chance in the coming year or two that there might be a Mac version of BW? That would be really cool!! :cool:

Dogfish Jones
05-23-2007, 08:01 PM
ha! that was a great reply.