PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Purchase an English Lexicon (Dictionary)

SCSaunders
05-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Given that I do all of my teaching in English and everyone I teach to comes with an English Bible, I'd like to purchase the best electronic English Lexicon possible. I love the speed. I love copying and pasting. My spelling is atrocious. The electronic lexicons often offer "Did you mean " spelling suggestions.

Since I'm considering purchasing, I've already set aside a certain amount of money. Maybe I'll need to save a little longer. No big deal. I'm looking for the best.

My current electronic version is The Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate Dictionary. I have no idea how many hundreds of thousands of entries it has. I haven't read every single one. But I am concerned that one of them may reflect a liberal attitude that has secretly skewed all the rest. Didn't seem to give me any liberal attitude clues in the foreword. Plus, why an 11th? What could have been wrong with the first 10? Would a Funk & Wagnall's be superior?

I feel safe that once I have the single right one, I'll be able to use it. Two reasons.

One: I can sound out the words I don't know. Like infecund. I heard it used the other day. I was channel surfing, so I didn't get the full context. I can sound it out. But I don't know what it means? I'm sure the definition in the lexicon/dictionary will be in English thank God!
Two: My primary uses will be looking up the different English translation word choices. My audience doesn't all use the same translation. They often ask, "Why the different words?" I always take the class back to the wholistic context, so we're never left adrift. But, it would be helpful looking the various words up. Comparing them. Maybe inferring a nuance or bias that would explain the translator's different choices. Either way, the clarity will be nice.Any help will be appreciated. I don't know everything. This forum has a brain trust of knowledgeable and experienced folks. Just looking to you for studying, teaching and preaching helps.

My ultimate goal: To rightly divide the word of truth.

Thanks!

frdee
05-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Does your institution not have a subscription to OED online (you can even check with your local public library)? This is my first port of call... though, for $300 a year or $30 a month, I doubt I'd take out a personal subscription.

SCSaunders
05-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Does your institution not have a subscription to OED online (you can even check with your local public library)? This is my first port of call... though, for $300 a year or $30 a month, I doubt I'd take out a personal subscription.Thanks frdee. I'm preparing my lessons from home these days, so no access to institution databases. I can checkout the local library. I'm there on a regular basis. They may have it.

In fact, now that I think about it, I access them regular enough online. I search for titles, request holds and extend due dates through my account. Maybe there's a place I can access other types of databases. I'll check into it. I'd love to be able to do all this from my laptop in my home study.

frdee
05-19-2007, 09:24 PM
You're welcome. BTW they do have a CD for the 20 volume edition though I believe the software is quite buggy. I love OED for all the etymology and quotes from classical sources. I can't find it on the OUP site (only the $1000 package for the books + cd)

The Shorter OED (this is the two volume one - still plenty big) is available also on CD - currently $125 for the books and cd:
http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/25965/subject/Dictionaries/?view=usa&ci=9780195219555

This may be all you need.

SCSaunders
05-22-2007, 06:22 AM
The Shorter OED (this is the two volume one - still plenty big) is available also on CD - currently $125 for the books and cd:
http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/25965/subject/Dictionaries/?view=usa&ci=9780195219555

This may be all you need.$125. That sounds very doable; maybe not right away, but I can plan and budget for it.

It's funny, but I actually do run across English words that I can't find in my current electronic dictionary. I'll double check with a hard copy: it's a different brand. Sometimes though, it's a "strike two."

I'd like to have an electronic resource that has most things I'm looking up.

Thanks again!