PDA

View Full Version : Automated User Module Install/Update

dbielby
05-14-2007, 11:14 AM
I have been installing some of the user modules this morning. I appreciate all the work that is represented by literally dozens of modules.

I have been downloading and installing for over an hour and still have a lot of modules left to unzip. Is there a way to automate the process as we do with the regular BW modules through the update BW menu? I don't know how I will keep track of all the modules I have and don't have and if one is tweaked, I probably won't know whether I have the new edition or not...any ideas on this?

Michael Hanel
05-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I have been installing some of the user modules this morning. I appreciate all the work that is represented by literally dozens of modules.

I have been downloading and installing for over an hour and still have a lot of modules left to unzip. Is there a way to automate the process as we do with the regular BW modules through the update BW menu? I don't know how I will keep track of all the modules I have and don't have and if one is tweaked, I probably won't know whether I have the new edition or not...any ideas on this?

There is no good way that I know of. I am constantly adding user versions as I find the time and when I become aware of big mistakes, I try to update the versions I make. The way I have to keep track of what I've done is the BibleWorks blog (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/) that Jim Darlack and I host. If you subscribe to that, it's the nearest thing to being kept aware of what's going on. It doesn't take much time to download and add any given user module, but I do understand it would take quite a bit of time to update all of them. In case of any untimely crashes or whatever I do recommend backing up the \userdb\ directory of BibleWorks to prevent this. Or if you are running multiple computers to have one computer as your master and always copy the directory from that computer to your other one. This will prevent you from having to re-download and re-install. It's pretty hard to manage all aspects of this since it is a free service and has to be done in my spare time (although I did manage two master's degrees while doing it!), so I surely wouldn't say there is not a better way, but if there is a better way, I don't think I am aware of it.

alpha0r
05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I would recommend that you start a new plain text file and add all the new book names to it as you add them to the regular books.bna file. This way you know what user versions you have added and when Bibleworks updates the bna, which deletes all the user added book names, you can add all the user book names to the updated bna with one copy and paste.