PDA

View Full Version : Help with Report Generator

DeMody
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
I was not sure which forum to post this; anyway, here goes...

I have BW7 with 18x update. I'm attempting to use Report Generator. All seems well enough when I click 'Build Report', but nothing happens.

Can someone help? Thanks.

Steve Watkins
05-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm attempting to use Report Generator. All seems well enough when I click 'Build Report', but nothing happens.

Without more specific information, I'm not entirely sure what's happening with the Report Generator on your machine. But I do know that this feature can take quite a while to compile its reports (lots of data being assimilated), and what can look like a computer hang is sometimes really just the CPU crunching its way through all that data - especially if you are building a report for a large range of verses. Lexical data has to be collected for each word in each verse, so it can take a while.

This can especially be true on older machines, or machines with smaller amounts of RAM.

If in fact this is your problem (it may well not be - you may have a malfunction!) - then here's a few tips to speed things up:

- shorten the verse range
- Don't include too many versions in the 'include Biblical Texts for these Versions" box;
-Don't include too many versions in the 'Analyze these Greek/Hebrew Text Versions" box;
-Check the "Display Briefer TWOT Entries" box when building reports on Hebrew texts.

Running a report on a single verse (Isa 7:14), with the above suggestions utilized, rendered a report fairly quickly - but it included more than 1100 words and over 100,000 characters. So, each additional verse and version used for the reporting adds tons of additional data.

Hope that helps some - otherwise, it may be a technical bug problem...

DeMody
05-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will shorten my range and exclude multiple translations. My computer runs an AMD 754 mobile chip (Turion ML- something) and I know it has enough power to crunch through.

I'll report back my findings. Once the report is generated, where do I go to find it?

Steve Watkins
05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
. Once the report is generated, where do I go to find it?

It should pop up in a seperate Editor window

DeMody
05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, there is no pop up window. And something new has happened, BW7 crashes and asks me to revert back to an earlier version. I am going to uninstall BW and reinstall and hope this fixes this issue. I'll try to update my results.

Steve Watkins
05-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, there is no pop up window. And something new has happened, BW7 crashes and asks me to revert back to an earlier version. I am going to uninstall BW and reinstall and hope this fixes this issue. I'll try to update my results.

Yeah, sounds like a bug of some kind. Hope reinstalling works it out!