PDA

View Full Version : Modules activation problems

inkubus
05-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi,

I bought Stevenson module but I'm not able to unlock it, I do everything as I should but after I insert the unlock code I get an error saying it cannot find "stevenson.chm" file, I push OK and it says: "The database was successfully unlocked" :( I installed all the modules from modules CD (v.7 cd 6) and no luck, it doesn't even try to grabb it from the bibleworks webpage. P.S. Is not the only module with problems (on my end at least)

ingosorke
05-03-2007, 02:47 PM
I had a computer that wouldn't let me add modules, although BW acted like everything was installed fine.

Try holding the Shift key down when starting BW as Administrator (right-click on program icon).

At the Trouble-Shooting Options menu, selected Delete the BW700.INI file (you will lose your settings, but settings like version order can be saved easily), Start with Compact UI, and Delete the BWEDIT.INI file and then click: Perform the selected options and run BibleWorks again.

Then try installing the modules.

Worked in Windows XP for me; if you're running Vista I'm not sure.

Hope it helps,

Ingo

inkubus
05-04-2007, 05:07 AM
Thank you for your advice, but the problem is the same. I run Windows XP. When I try to unlock some databases like: STEV, ZERW, APNT, LSJM and JM I get the same error that it can't find the "*.chm", don't even try to download it from internet and after that it says: "The database was unlocked succesfully" :( Is there any place I can download the CHM files manually? This is really annoying, I bought the modules some months ago and I can't use them...Or can you send me at least the "stevenson.chm" and "jm.chm"? Thank you very much.

Adelphos
05-04-2007, 09:30 AM
This is really annoying, I bought the modules some months ago and I can't use them...

Are you sure you are using Module CD, Revision M02?

Here's the blurb from BW --

Module CD, Revision M02 for BibleWorks 7.
Required for any or all of APNT, CNTTS, LSJM, STEV, SWAN, VGNT, WEIN, ZERW. This item cannot yet be ordered. Available on or before September 1, 2007. Note: APNT, LSJM, STEV, VGNT, and ZERW are now available by download.

Just a thought.

Michael Hanel
05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Thank you for your advice, but the problem is the same. I run Windows XP. When I try to unlock some databases like: STEV, ZERW, APNT, LSJM and JM I get the same error that it can't find the "*.chm", don't even try to download it from internet and after that it says: "The database was unlocked succesfully" :( Is there any place I can download the CHM files manually? This is really annoying, I bought the modules some months ago and I can't use them...Or can you send me at least the "stevenson.chm" and "jm.chm"? Thank you very much.

If you haven't already, I would contact BW support directly (http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html) for better guidance.

inkubus
05-05-2007, 09:17 AM
No, I don't. I have the CD module that came with the BibleWorks 7.0 when I bought it.
"This item requires BibleWorks 7 and is currently available by download only, with download instructions furnished upon ordering. Not yet available by CD; will require Module CD, Revision M02 (order separately when available) or later."

I didn't recieve any download instructions after ordering, only the unlock code.

terogs
05-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Here are the instructions I received when I purchased the new LSJM module, which like ZERW is available for download only. I imagine the instructions would be the same.

"To install and unlock this module you must, in order:
1. Connect to the Internet. Download and install both the latest BibleWorks 7 executable (click Help | BibleWorks on the Internet | Check for Updates) and font files.

2. After installing the latest executable and font files, restart your computer. (Restarting is necessary to install the new fonts.)

3. Run BibleWorks. Click File | Unlock Database and enter your BibleWorks Serial Number (from the Serial Number card in your BibleWorks box) and the module unlock code, which is ____________ At this point the needed files will be downloaded to your computer.

4. Upon completion of step 3, restart BibleWorks, check again for updates (as in step 1), and install any new updates presented for this module.

Should you have any problems installing or unlocking this module, don't hesitate to contact us at service@bibleworks.com or (757) 627-7100."

Hope that helps,

Tom

inkubus
05-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I recieved the same info but I still get that problem. I attach a screenshot. It doesn't download anything.

Dale A. Brueggemann
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
I bought Stevenson module but I'm not able to unlock it,....Is not the only module with problems (on my end at least)

I see a string of postings where you're struggling with this problem, which must be extremely frustrating. I hesitate to ask the obvious question, but sometimes they need to be asked. Have you been in contact with BW themselves, or just tried to solve it through the user forum feedback you're getting?

inkubus
05-10-2007, 06:28 AM
I searched all over my computer that *.chm file and is not to be found :(
I duble- and triple-checked and so on. After I insert my activation code it says it can't find that file and doesn't download it or try to and after that is says that the module was unlocked...I contacted BW support, they told me the same thing I recieved after my purcese and NO LUCK! This is very very frustrating to pay for something and cannot be used. I really have no idea why there's no place to download it manually because anyways it cannot be used without unlocking it :(

Adelphos
05-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I contacted BW support, they told me the same thing I recieved after my purcese and NO LUCK! This is very very frustrating to pay for something and cannot be used.:(

You said that you don't have Module CD, Revision M02. This is required, according to BW. Therefore, if you don't have this module, and if this module is required, why would you expect it to work?

inkubus
05-10-2007, 12:41 PM
You said that you don't have Module CD, Revision M02. This is required, according to BW. Therefore, if you don't have this module, and if this module is required, why would you expect it to work?

Because IT'S SOLD ON INTERNET and it's stated: "available for download"

Adelphos
05-10-2007, 12:49 PM

Here are the instructions when purchasing the Stevenson module from the BW forum --

"Grammar of Palestinian Jewish Aramaic
by W.B. Stevenson
This item requires BibleWorks 7 and is currently available by download only, with download instructions furnished upon ordering. Not yet available by CD; will require Module CD, Revision M02 (order separately when available) or later"

I believe you have your answer as to why you can't get it work. However, if they have not made this module available yet, then it does seem incongruous to offer those modules that require this one. Perhaps BW support can tell you if they have made a work-around so that this module is not required, if it's not yet available.

Adamsen
05-10-2007, 01:33 PM

When you order a module available for download, you will get an unlock code that you have to enter in BW, by choosing The Unlock database in the File menu. Then, select the right Database to Unlock and enter your BW serial number and the product unlock code. Click on the Unloack button. As explained in the Unlocking a BibleWorks database window.

When BW accepts your serial number and the unlock code, it - normally - begins to download the necessary files and installs them.

If this fails for whatever reason, please, contact the BibleWorks support people. They are very helpful. If they cannot help you, they will ask the programmers to take a look on the problem.

If it does not work, it normally helps if you save your configuration files and system info, but the support people will guide you about that, I am sure. Please, make sure that you follow all the instructions carefully and in the right order.

Hope this helps,

Georg S. Adamsen

inkubus
05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Thank you very much pasquale for all your effort.
I did all you said step by step, everything looks ok:

first file (_updstat.txt) shows:

-----------------------------------------------------
- Results of Application of Patch File -
File Patches Applied ......................... ( 6)
Files Modified .................. ( 0)
Files Renamed. .................. ( 0)
Files Added ..................... ( 6)
Files Deleted ................... ( 0)
Temporary Files Processed........ ( 0)
File Patches Skipped: New Files Up-To-Date.... ( 2)
File Patches Ignored: Old Files Missing....... ( 0)
Old Files Invalid....... ( 0)
Total File Patches Processed ................. ( 8)

in *.rtf.gz file I read:
Congratulations! You have entered a valid unlock code for the #01 module. However the module files have not yet been copied to your hard drive. Please close BibleWorks, insert the CD labeled "Module disc" and click "Install Module," then select the appropriate module for installation.
BibleWorks Serial Number: #02
#01 Unlock Code: #03

in the \init\ directory I got:

bdag.reg
bdf.reg
begheb.reg
cb.reg
croy.reg
ednt.reg
esnt.reg
halot.reg
jm.reg
lsjm.reg
pem.reg
preu.reg
qsm.reg
stevenson.reg
tdnt.reg
vgnt.reg
waltke.reg
zerwick.reg

so the modules are unlocked but no files (modules with problems: STEV, VGNT, APNT, LSJM and JM)

One thing I do not understand: STEV for example need module CD version 0.2 but CD version 0.2 isn't yet available for purchasing, so WHY sell something that doesn't work??

Adamsen
05-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Did you also contact the support people? If not, why not do it?

Georg

Steve Watkins
05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
so the modules are unlocked but no files (modules with problems: STEV, VGNT, APNT, LSJM and JM)

One thing I do not understand: STEV for example need module CD version 0.2 but CD version 0.2 isn't yet available for purchasing, so WHY sell something that doesn't work??

Yeah, as far as I understand it, certain modules that are only available for download, but require the M02 Module CD (which is not available for purchase yet...), will work independantly when you download them, until the Module CD is released.

So, it seems like you're doing everything right, and going on the info given on the website - since the M02 Module CD is not available for purchase, and since the Modules are, via download, then they should work when you download them. When I downloaded the Zerwick and LSJM Modules, for example, they worked just fine even though I don't have the M02 CD, which it says they require...

I'd say it was a file-unlocking problem in your OS (do you happen to use Vista?) - but you said it wouldn't even download the files. So, I don't know. Sounds like a tech-support issue, because you're doing everything the way its designed to be done and its still not working.

inkubus
05-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Thank you guys for all your help. I did everything as it should be done (I use XP SP2, BW executable 7.0.018x.5). My BW installation is updated to very this day. I have contacted the support team, I wait for a reply with the modules as attachement. I still don't have any clue.

Adelphos
05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Does this mean that you do not have to have the CD module to unlock and use downloadable modules that otherwise say the CD is required?

Or are the revelant files included in the download purchase?

This thread intimates that the whole process is kind of confusing.

Steve Watkins
05-11-2007, 02:37 AM
Does this mean that you do not have to have the CD module to unlock and use downloadable modules that otherwise say the CD is required?

Or are the revelant files included in the download purchase?

This thread intimates that the whole process is kind of confusing.

It is kind of confusing. Here's what I think it all means... The module CD that is stated necessary for these modules is itself not yet available for purchase. Therefore, certain of the modules that will require it when they are released on CD are temporarily available for download, and so do not require the Module CD to install and operate. This was the case in my experience with the Zerwick and LSJM modules. Both state that they are only available for download (not yet for CD purchase), and that they require the M02 Module CD - which you can't buy yet. So I bought Zerwick and LSJM anyway - via download - and installed them, and they work just fine. Haven't tried Stevenson, though - so I can't verify the problem in this thread. But so far as I understand it, no one has the M02 Module CD yet, but many are using modules that require it, because they've bought and downloaded them prior to their CD release.

inkubus
05-11-2007, 03:07 AM
It is kind of confusing. Here's what I think it all means... The module CD that is stated necessary for these modules is itself not yet available for purchase. Therefore, certain of the modules that will require it when they are released on CD are temporarily available for download, and so do not require the Module CD to install and operate. This was the case in my experience with the Zerwick and LSJM modules. Both state that they are only available for download (not yet for CD purchase), and that they require the M02 Module CD - which you can't buy yet. So I bought Zerwick and LSJM anyway - via download - and installed them, and they work just fine. Haven't tried Stevenson, though - so I can't verify the problem in this thread. But so far as I understand it, no one has the M02 Module CD yet, but many are using modules that require it, because they've bought and downloaded them prior to their CD release.

Yes, you're right, this is what Mark (BW support staff) told me:
"Some of our module databases were released after the module disk was pressed. If that is the case with your particular module, you will not need to insert the module disk, but once the module unlock code has been successfully entered the database/s should begin downloading automatically and once they are finished there will be a screen that you have successfully unlocked the module with the option to print your unlock code or copy it to the clipboard."

But this doesn't happen :(

inkubus
05-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Seems like nobody has a working solution. I really don't know why modules that don't work are sold...I'll wait until the Module CD 02 will be released, in the meanwhile I'll study the printed edition of Stevenson I bought yesterday with $11 :)

Michael Hanel
05-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Seems like nobody has a working solution. I really don't know why modules that don't work are sold...I'll wait until the Module CD 02 will be released, in the meanwhile I'll study the printed edition of Stevenson I bought yesterday with $11 :)

Well that's not quite the case. Unfortunately your problem seems to be some sort of freak thing that no one can figure out. I've purchased download-able modules and never had any problems at all and they work fine. That's why it's so odd why it's not working for you. It's a lot harder to diagnose a problem you've never experienced.