PDA

View Full Version : Simple Search

MBD
04-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I can do the normal stuff with BW 7 with Hebrew and Greek, but sometimes the simple stuff eludes me. A student came into my office this morning and is doing a paper on the city of Dan. So I said I would quickly print out a list of all the references to Dan in the Bible. Should be easy. I set the search version for the NRS and typed in Dan in the upper left box. I had set the search parameters to all. And got no such word in this search version What was I doing wrong? I know that it is easy if you have the word in your browse window, but surely I can search for a word unrelated to the browse window. Also if I did get a list of all the passages in the NRS with "DAN", how would I print out that list. I had to laugh, I ended up photocopying all the passages in Lisowsky. How far we have come!
Michael

Steve Watkins
04-26-2007, 12:56 PM
In the NRS, I get 58 hits over 53 verses in 0.14 seconds.

I'm not sure what happened when you ran the search, but I suspect that you simply typed, "dan" into the command line without initiating the search with a period (".dan").

Simply typing "dan" would be the way in which you would type in a book and chapter reference to be displayed in the browse window (i.e. typing "dan 1:1" will display daniel 1:1 in the browse window...) - but since you only typed "dan" and no chapter reference, it probably gave you an error stating that no such reference exists in the current search version (meaning a scripture passage reference, not a word reference).

So, to search for the word "Dan", preface it with the period in the command line. Should work fine.

To print the list, simply right-click inside the search window (the left-hand window, where the list is displayed), and select "copy list to editor". You can choose to copy the references only (select the "Search Window Verse List" botton on the left), or the text of the verses in the list ("text of verses in verse list" - and make sure to choose which versions you do or don't want displayed by using the "versions" box at the bottom) Then go to the editor tab in the analysis window (right-hand window), and choose print.

terogs
04-26-2007, 01:02 PM
68 hits in 61 verses in the NAU. I wonder what the difference is.

Steve Watkins
04-26-2007, 01:30 PM
68 hits in 61 verses in the NAU. I wonder what the difference is.

Several references where NRS has "Danites" rather than the NAU "sons of Dan", so NAU registers more hits on the word "Dan"

MGVH
04-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Looking for Dan in the Bible will generate 50+ hits, but that includes a lot of references to the person and tribe of Dan...
You said you were looking for references to the city of Dan. Here's a better way: If you have downloaded the Bible Geocoding Addin for BW7, you can call it up from your Resources listing, then choose Bible Atlas- From A to F, find Dan, and you have the following references:
Gen 14:14, Josh 19:47, Judg 18:29, Judg 20:1, 1 Sam 3:20, 2 Sam 3:10, 2 Sam 17:11, 2 Sam 24:2, 2 Sam 24:6, 2 Sam 24:15, 1 Kgs 4:25, 1 Kgs 12:29, 1 Kgs 12:30, 1 Kgs 15:20, 2 Kgs 10:29, 1 Chr 21:2, 2 Chr 16:4, 2 Chr 30:5, Jer 4:15, Jer 8:16
Called Laish: Judg 18:7, Judg 18:14, Judg 18:27, Judg 18:29
Called Leshem: Josh 19:47

You could probably do a similar thing using one of the Bible dictionaries. (BTW, for what I think is the latest and most complete listing of Bible mapping resources, including the Bible Geocoding both as an independent resource and as one integrated into BW, I've posted it all here (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2007/04/of-making-of-maps-there-is-no-end.html).)

SCSaunders
04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
, but I suspect that you simply typed, "dan" into the command line without initiating the search with a period (".dan").
I'm betting this will solve the riddle. I've skipped the "." many'a times.