PDA

View Full Version : inability to access dictionaries

Andrew Fincke
04-24-2007, 01:22 PM
When I click RESOURCES and BIBLE DICTIONARIES I get a balloon saying "You do not have the proper databases installed to run this option". Same when I click RESOURCES and GREEK/HEBREW LEXICONS. I inserted CD number 1 and did a change configuration installation with most of the dictionaries checked, but that didn't help. I don't have this problem with BW6, which is also installed.
Andrew

Steve Watkins
04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Hmm. I can't duplicate your problem. Everything is running fine on my machine.

Are you up to date on the Executable updates?

If so, maybe reinitializing your INI file will help. You'll have to reset all of your configuration options, but it may help with your problem

Andrew Fincke
04-24-2007, 04:05 PM
How do I reinitialize my .ini file?

Steve Watkins
04-24-2007, 04:11 PM
How do I reinitialize my .ini file?

Oh, sorry! Go to the Tools menu, select Options at the bottom. Under the 'Option Flags' tab, select the 'Shutdown Options', and click on the 'Initialize INI File on Exit' checkbox.

Then shut BibleWorks down and restart it. This will clear the INI file that maintains all of your preferences and settings (no modules or files will be altered or removed). So, you'll have to reconfigure everything to the way you had it.

Sometimes this helps if things start acting buggy. But, it's no guarantee. Let me know if it does any good!

Andrew Fincke
04-24-2007, 08:35 PM
No, it didn't help.

MBushell
04-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Andrew,
That message means you are missing some files. There is a bug in the installation CD that allows you to uncheck some necessary files. I would recommend uninstalling. Then reinstall and do not uncheck any options in the setup window where you choose options to install. My guess is that this will fix the problem.
Mike

Harold6
04-25-2007, 12:55 AM
The problem might just be in the fact that you have both BW6 and BW7 installed on the same computer. BibleWorks recommends that you uninstall the previous version before you install the upgrade

Andrew Fincke
04-25-2007, 03:08 PM
:confused: :mad: The problem is not that I have BW6 and BW7 on the same computer, because I have both on the laptop; and the problem doesn't exist there. I doubt if not unchecking boxes will help, because I unchecked boxes when I installed to the laptop, and the problem doesn't exist there, as said. Do you mean just avoid custom install altogether? Or can I at least uncheck the map modules? The other problems I have are:
1) the coordination between BW7 and John Hudson's SBL 1.14 font is defective; and
2) When I go to exit BW7 I get the file save window, and I have to select SAVE (not CANCEL) YES (to continue closing) and NO repeated twice to affirm I don't want to save. That when I haven't worked with the editor and have - in fact - never worked with the editor.

MBushell
04-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Andrew,

The only advice I can offer is clear out BW and BW completely. That means uninstall, rebbot and delete the directories. The reinstall BW7 (not 6) and don't unselect any options in the custom install window. The maps are off by default I beileve but that shouldn't be a problem. You can add things but don't selete any. If you were having problems accessing a particular lexicon make sure it is checked in the install options. I strongly recommend installing all lexicons. They don't take up that much space.

Running 6 and 7 should be attempted only by compter savy people who are comfortable with dealing with computer problems. 6 and 7 share files and they can interact in unexpected ways. BW 6 for example will reinstall fonts if it detects that what are installed do not agree with the fonts in its directory. It will replace the 7 fonts and will also take over the COM server (which is responsible for pop ups in HTML Help files). You can alleviate this issue by copying all the BW7 fonts to the BW6 folder, but I still recommend not running 6 and 7 together. They were never designed to coexist. It doesn't matter that you have another installation working on your laptop. I have no way of knowing whether you selected the same instllation options for either 6 or 7. I think if you follow my suggestions above, it will work. Be sure to back up any files that you have edited or changed before doing this though!

I am sorry you are having problems but thousands of people have no problems at all.

Mike