PDA

View Full Version : Doubts about sounds in Vocabulary Flashcard module

Greg Crawford
04-23-2007, 12:28 PM
I have recently been exploring some of the aids within BW7. However, I have serious doubts about the sounds in the Flashcard Module. It seems that omicrons are being pronounced as omegas. My understanding is that omicrons are always short "o"s, not long "o"s. However, try out the sound on something like "nomos" and you have "noemoes". Am I out of touch, or did BW gets this wrong?

MGVH
04-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Realizing that the "Erasmian" system is a constructed pronunciation system designed to help in distinguishing between vowels, I would agree that the omicrons are pronounced with a longer o sound than I would expect. Eg, compare the initial sound of οφειλω with ωφελεω. They sound pretty much the same to me.
One can, of course, go through and create their own recordings...

Adelphos
04-23-2007, 06:36 PM
I have recently been exploring some of the aids within BW7. However, I have serious doubts about the sounds in the Flashcard Module. It seems that omicrons are being pronounced as omegas. My understanding is that omicrons are always short "o"s, not long "o"s. However, try out the sound on something like "nomos" and you have "noemoes". Am I out of touch, or did BW gets this wrong?

There are two pronunciation systems offered in BW 7, Erasmian and Modern Greek.

You probably have the pronunciation set to Modern Greek.

In native Greek, as well as in Koine Greek, the omicrons and the omegas ARE pronounced alike in most cases.

And it can be demonstated that Modern Greek pronunciation is virtually identical to Koine Greek pronunciation in New Testament times.

MGVH
04-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah, Adelphos, I initially thought that was the issue as well, but I checked, and it is the Erasmian system that is being referenced. There is a difference with the Modern (the af and ef sounds for au and eu; long epsilons and omicrons, etc.), but there is very little (I can't tell any) difference in the pronunciation of omicrons and omegas between the two.

Adelphos
04-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, Adelphos, I initially thought that was the issue as well, but I checked, and it is the Erasmian system that is being referenced. There is a difference with the Modern (the af and ef sounds for au and eu; long epsilons and omicrons, etc.), but there is very little (I can't tell any) difference in the pronunciation of omicrons and omegas between the two.

I haven't even listened to the Erasmian pronunciation, but one thing I've noticed in the Modern Greek pronunciation is that there are numerous places where the pronunciation is NOT truly Modern Greek, such as in au and eu, as well as the omicron in a number of places, and other variations as well.

It would have been better, IMO, to get a native Greek to do the pronunciations, if possible.

By the way, if you can't find a native Greek, I am told by native Greeks that my own pronunciation is excellent, so if the BW folks would like, I would be happy to do a new set of pronunciations, as time permits. At the very least, I can pronounce the words correctly, which is NOT the case in a number of places in the current sound scheme.

Adelphos
04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
I haven't even listened to the Erasmian pronunciation, but one thing I've noticed in the Modern Greek pronunciation is that there are numerous places where the pronunciation is NOT truly Modern Greek, such as in au and eu, as well as the omicron in a number of places, and other variations as well.

Actually, my apologies to the pronouncer of modern Greek in BW. The television was on when I listened to a few of his pronunciations a little while ago, and I didn't hear him on au and eu and a couple of other places because his voice is softer in many of those places.

However, after having turned the television off and listened to his pronunciations again, I went through probably the first 100 or so and did not find a single inaccuracy.

Thus, from what I've seen, his pronunciation can be trusted for Modern Greek.

Of course, a true native Greek pronouncer would make a lot of difference, for it is almost impossible for an Anglo to capture the full flavor of pronunciation.

But what is there now is good.

Of course, I will still be happy to produce my own sound files for BW if the need or desire ever arises. -:)