PDA

View Full Version : bibleworks 7 very slow in vista

qohelet
04-20-2007, 08:41 AM
i don't understand why BW7 loads very slow in my vista compared to my other apps... it would take more than 1 minute just to load...

anyone have the same experience?

terogs
04-20-2007, 09:08 AM
You might want to repost this comment to the General BibleWorks Discussion. You're likely to get more comments.

I'm still using XP Pro so can't comment on problems with Vista.

MBushell
04-20-2007, 05:32 PM
On my Vista system the load time is about 7 seconds the first time it is run. However, I have had a ton of problems with file io speed in Vista. Unzipping a zip file with a dozen kilobyte files takes about 60 seconds. Sometimes rebooting helps. Vista has serious file io problems. Just google "vista file speed". Microsoft has not promised any help before the first service pack. They have a patch that may help some people but they have made it almost impossible for private individuals to get. Bottom line: stay away from Vista if you can avoid it. File io and system security will drive you bananas.

Mike

Steve Watkins
04-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Bottom line: stay away from Vista if you can avoid it.

Yeah, gotta concur here. Sound advice. I've heard similar things from several programmers. Vista may look slick, but I'm sticking with XP for a while, because it works just fine. I don't have the time (or knowledge!) to struggle through file system problems with my OS. Good to hear it from a programmer who knows something about such things - thanks Mike!

Michael Hanel
04-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah, gotta concur here. Sound advice. I've heard similar things from several programmers. Vista may look slick, but I'm sticking with XP for a while, because it works just fine. I don't have the time (or knowledge!) to struggle through file system problems with my OS. Good to hear it from a programmer who knows something about such things - thanks Mike!

Perhaps I'm too pessimistic but I think part of the reason you don't hear more negative press (although have you heard anything really GOOD about Vista other than it's new and might look prettier?) is that a new operating system sells new machines. The computing industry may not like the next upgrade of Vista, but it's going to require a lot of new stuff just to get it to work. I was a bit sad to learn that Microsoft will be cutting off XP sales by 2008 even though I knew it was inevitable. (Although it is somewhat comforting to read about Dell bringing back XP to new computers (http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/66023/DELL_will_continue_to_sell_XP_loaded_computers) even if it is Dell ;))

Steve Watkins
04-20-2007, 05:57 PM
I was a bit sad to learn that Microsoft will be cutting off XP sales by 2008 even though I knew it was inevitable. (Although it is somewhat comforting to read about Dell bringing back XP to new computers (http://www.ideastorm.com/article/show/66023/DELL_will_continue_to_sell_XP_loaded_computers) even if it is Dell ;))

Hopefully Microsoft will have Vista patched up with service packs and all by the time XP stops shipping. I hadn't heard that Dell was bringing XP back on some new computers... that kinda says a LOT. And I happen to like my little Dell 600m! ;) It may be small and a bit bland, but it's been faithful and reliable.

Michael Hanel
04-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Hopefully Microsoft will have Vista patched up with service packs and all by the time XP stops shipping. I hadn't heard that Dell was bringing XP back on some new computers... that kinda says a LOT. And I happen to like my little Dell 600m! ;) It may be small and a bit bland, but it's been faithful and reliable.

I've had one good Dell and one bad Dell. The bad Dell has been extremely frustrating to say the least, the good Dell has been wonderful. Upgraded the hard drive this year on my own and I'm hoping I can make it last for a few more years. Anyway, now I'm thoroughly off-topic, but it's Mike B.'s fault so I think it's okay ;)

MBushell
04-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Sorry for the off topic. But I have permission :-)
I dual boot Vista and XP and every time I go back to XP I am amazed at how more responsive it is.

Adelphos
04-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Sorry for the off topic. But I have permission :-)
I dual boot Vista and XP and every time I go back to XP I am amazed at how more responsive it is.

Thanks for the warning about Vista, though. I believe I'll stay with XP at least until a service pack or two comes out for Vista.

Now then, since you apparently have some free time on your hands :rolleyes: , how about implementing a feature request that some of us have asked for, and which shouldn't be too difficult to implent (I don't think it would be too difficult, anyway).

To wit: how about a CL ability to change tabs, such as t3 for tab 3, t1 for tab 1, and so forth.

Seeing as how tomorrow is Sunday, we can wait until the first of the week for it. :rolleyes:

qohelet
04-21-2007, 08:42 AM
i don't understand because my other apps run extremely fast in vista.. only bibleworks loads very very slow about 45 seconds or so... especially when i update it... is it vista or is it bibleworks????

Dan Phillips
04-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, for whatever it's worth, I'm running Vista Home Premium on a Gateway convertible laptop I just got. The OS itself is fine, I have no problems whatever with BW. I did have a nasty prob with the pen cursor in Notepad and Journal, which Gateway eventually resolved with a patch.

From my limited reading, I'd probably not install Vista on an existing machine. But my clean install is just dandy--with allowance for adjusting to its different ways. (And the security nagging can be disabled.)

Michael Hanel
04-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Now then, since you apparently have some free time on your hands :rolleyes: , how about implementing a feature request that some of us have asked for, and which shouldn't be too difficult to implent (I don't think it would be too difficult, anyway).

To wit: how about a CL ability to change tabs, such as t3 for tab 3, t1 for tab 1, and so forth.

Seeing as how tomorrow is Sunday, we can wait until the first of the week for it. :rolleyes:

Maybe we all just have to quit our day jobs to get all of these BibleWorks-do tasks done :) I'd try to learn computer programming, but I have hard enough time keeping the Greek, Hebrew, German, French, Latin going.

gelavalon
05-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I have been using BW7 with Vista on my laptop for about a month and it loads fine. I haven't noticed any additional lag time. However, in utiziling Update I encountered some kind of "hang" where BW would no longer recognize the dictionaries or grammars that were loaded and I had to reinstall BW.

Eagle
05-10-2007, 04:31 PM
For me, BibleWorks takes that long (about 45 seconds) to load in XP Pro, on both of my computers (one a Pentium 4 3.6 GHz with 2 GB RAM, one a Core Duo laptop with 1.5 GB). It is really annoying.

It is clearly a BibleWorks issue, but I have posted about it before, to no avail.

Chris

Adelphos
05-11-2007, 05:59 PM
For me, BibleWorks takes that long (about 45 seconds) to load in XP Pro, on both of my computers (one a Pentium 4 3.6 GHz with 2 GB RAM, one a Core Duo laptop with 1.5 GB). It is really annoying.

It is clearly a BibleWorks issue, but I have posted about it before, to no avail.

BW takes about 12 seconds to load on the first start-up for me, and about 3 or 4 seconds upon succeeding start-ups, and I'm running XP Pro, 2 GB RAM, Duel Core processor, et cetera. I also have the full program installed on my HD, with all databases, and all the latest updates.

Oops... XP Media Center Edition SP2.

Eagle
05-11-2007, 09:55 PM
BW takes about 12 seconds to load on the first start-up for me, and about 3 or 4 seconds upon succeeding start-ups, and I'm running XP Pro, 2 GB RAM, Duel Core processor, et cetera. I also have the full program installed on my HD, with all databases, and all the latest updates.

Oops... XP Media Center Edition SP2.

Yep, it's frustrating...

Chris

Adelphos
05-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Yep, it's frustrating...

Chris

Well, actually, I think the load speeds for BW are pretty good, especially considering all the fonts and so forth. I have other programs on my computer that take longer to load than BW, such as Libronix, and a couple of others.

If it really takes 45 seconds for BW to load on your machine, I'd say you have a machine-specific, or os-specific problem.

vr8ce
05-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Chris
I haven't seen your earlier posts, Chris, so forgive me if I duplicate questions, but do you have network drive mapped that you don't have access to? If so, BW takes forever to open. I have a drive mapped for a client I'm working with, and if I open BW when I'm not on the VPN, BW takes 10-15 times as long (literally) to open and close. If I drop the mapping, BW goes back to starting/closing briskly (15 seconds or so first time, 5 or so after that).

I never have remembered to ask Mike why BW cares about a network drive that's not in the path, especially on closing, but it does appear to be a BW problem (no other app I have cares about that network drive, since it's not in the path).

Vince

Eagle
05-14-2007, 11:01 AM
I haven't seen your earlier posts, Chris, so forgive me if I duplicate questions, but do you have network drive mapped that you don't have access to? If so, BW takes forever to open. I have a drive mapped for a client I'm working with, and if I open BW when I'm not on the VPN, BW takes 10-15 times as long (literally) to open and close. If I drop the mapping, BW goes back to starting/closing briskly (15 seconds or so first time, 5 or so after that).

I never have remembered to ask Mike why BW cares about a network drive that's not in the path, especially on closing, but it does appear to be a BW problem (no other app I have cares about that network drive, since it's not in the path).

Vince

You know, that's very interesting. I do have a VPN mapped for an old job on my desktop. I never even use it anymore. If I delete it, maybe it will speed up.

On the other hand, I don't seem to have the VPN installed on this laptop, so that may not be it. Thanks for the idea anyway.

Chris

Eagle
05-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Well, actually, I think the load speeds for BW are pretty good, especially considering all the fonts and so forth. I have other programs on my computer that take longer to load than BW, such as Libronix, and a couple of others.

If it really takes 45 seconds for BW to load on your machine, I'd say you have a machine-specific, or os-specific problem.

Clearly there is something different about my setup (though I don't seem to be the only one). At the very least, it is something about the way that BW interacts with the environment, since most software is perfectly fast on my machine.

btw, when BW starts up on my machine, it initially opens two windows in the taskbar, and then one disappears when the main window (finally) shows up. Is that normal?

Chris

Adelphos
05-14-2007, 11:09 AM
btw, when BW starts up on my machine, it initially opens two windows in the taskbar, and then one disappears when the main window (finally) shows up. Is that normal?

No, that's not normal. I suspect with all the tweaking of BW attempting Vista compatability that there are a few issues still to be worked out, which of course still affect XP as well. In the meantime, you might try what Mike Bushell suggested, i.e., defrag your HD, etc., and see if that helps.

Well... five minutes after the above was written, I opened BW just to make sure, and lo and behold, I also get two windows in the taskbar, albeit only for a split second, right before -- or right as -- BW is opening.

Steve Watkins
05-16-2007, 09:37 AM
lo and behold, I also get two windows in the taskbar, albeit only for a split second, right before -- or right as -- BW is opening.

Same result here. I think it's normal. The splash seems to be one of them, the program itself the other. That seems strange though...