PDA

View Full Version : Qumran database questions

ingosorke
04-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Quick Qumran Question:

1QHa 5:25 (td[w $yxwr abc) in BW7 QSM shows the text that is actually 1QHa 5:14 in Martinez’ The Dead Sea Scrolls. Versification mismatch?

Needless to say, 1QHa 5:25 in my DSS print editions is different from 1QHa 5:25 in BW7 (Abegg).
(I'm scared to check my other 171 entries in my Appendix . . .)

Another example: 1QHa 25:8 BW7 (Abegg) = 1QHa 25:6 Martinez.

Guess I didn't realize the versification varies so much between different DSS editions, or am I missing something else?

And 1QHa 9:12 highlights hknwcrl when I do the following QSM search:
xwr@n??p* (to find all pl forms of xwr in QSM). Why would it mark a word that's not the search term?

Any insights on that? Thanks a bunch,

Ingo

Mark Eddy
04-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Quick Qumran Question:

Guess I didn't realize the versification varies so much between different DSS editions, or am I missing something else?

And 1QHa 9:12 highlights hknwcrl when I do the following QSM search:
xwr@n??p* (to find all pl forms of xwr in QSM). Why would it mark a word that's not the search term?

Any insights on that? Thanks a bunch,

Ingo

I don't have a hard copy of DSS, so I can't help on the first question.
But with regard to the second, my guess is that the highlighting is shifted because of the words in brackets that preceed it. BW either doesn't handle square brackets or ".." correctly. So it either counts ".." as a word or it counts htnę╬$t as two words. BW "knows" that xwr is the sixth word in this verse, so it highlights what it thinks is the sixth word, either counting the bracketted word as two words or counting ".." as a word. I think it's a long-standing bug, so it should be reported to technical support for a future fix.
Mark Eddy

ingosorke
04-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks, Mark.

Still interested in a response on the first issue:

Versification between Abegg and Martinez don't match.

Ingo