PDA

View Full Version : VDC Question...

Dogfish Jones
05-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Last year I created a text file for the Heidelberg Catechism for use in 5.0. The problem was that I couldn't get it to work in a manner similar to the Westminster - specifically, I couldn't get the bible references to appear in the auto-info window as links, similar to how the NAS or TSK cross references work.

I'm wondering if, now that I have 6.0, what needs to be done is adding cross reference codes per pgs 310-311 of the manual will add this functionality, or if that feature only works for bible versions.

Included below are the first 5 lines of the file.

Thanks.

HEI 1:1 What is your only comfort, in life and in death? A. That I am not my own (1) but belong body and soul, in life and in death (2) not to myself but to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ (3), who at the cost of his own blood (4) has fully paid for all my sins and has completely freed me from the dominion of the devil(5); that he protects me so well (6) that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head (7); indeed, that everything must fit his purpose for my salvation (8). Therefore, by his Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life (9), and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him. (10) (1)1 Cor 6:19-20 (2)Rom 14:7-9 (3)1 Cor 3:23; Tit 2:14 (4)1 Pet 1:18,19; 1 John 1:7-9;22 (5)John 8:34-36; Heb 2:14,15; 1 John 3:1-11 (6)John 6:39,40; 10:27-30; 2 Thess 3:3; 1 Pet 1:5 (7)Matt 10:29-31; Luke 21:16-18 (8)Rom 8:28 (9)Rom 8:15,16; 2 Cor 1:21,22; 5:5; Eph 1:13-14 (10)Rom 8:1-17
HEI 1:2 How many things are necessary for you to know, that in this comfort you may live and die happily? A. Three things:(1) First, the greatness of my sin and misery.(2) Second, how I am redeemed from all my sins and misery.(3) Third, how I am to be thankful to God for such redemption.(4) (1) Luke 24:46-47; I Cor. 6:11; Titus 3:3-7 (2) John 9:41; 15:22 (3) John 17:3 (4) Eph. 5:8-11; I Peter 2:9-12; Rom. 6:11-14; 7:24-25; Gal. 3:13; Col. 3:17
HEI 1:3 Where do you learn of your sin and its wretched consequences? A. From the Law of God.(1) (1) Rom. 3:20; 7:7
HEI 1:4 What does the Law of God require of us? A. Christ teaches us in a summary in Matthew 22:37-40: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (1) (1) Luke 10:27; Deut. 6:5; Gal. 5:14
HEI 1:5 Can you keep all this perfectly? A. No,(1) for I am prone by nature to hate God and my neighbor.(2) (1) Rom. 3:10-12, 23; I John 1:8, 10 (2) Rom. 8:7; Eph. 2:3

vr8ce
05-21-2004, 02:02 PM
What do you mean by "links"? The notes in NAU aren't links, i.e. they're not green and underlined like the scripture references in BDAG, e.g. (and even the auto-info version of the built-in BDAG weren't links until just a few revisions ago).

To get a cross-reference to display in auto-info, add <Rx> before or after the word (why NAU goes before when everyone else goes behind is beyond me), then add { <p><rsup>x</rsup> 1 Co 5:15 } at the end of the verse. The x is obviously a-z, whatever letter you want; the <p> and <rsup> directives aren't strictly required, but they make the note start on a new line and print as a superscript (the "raw form" allegedly displayed at the bottom of 311 is in fact *not* what results from exporting NAU; do a real export to see what it should look like).

Vince

Last year I created a text file for the Heidelberg Catechism for use in 5.0. The problem was that I couldn't get it to work in a manner similar to the Westminster - specifically, I couldn't get the bible references to appear in the auto-info window as links, similar to how the NAS or TSK cross references work.

Dogfish Jones
05-21-2004, 04:16 PM
What do you mean by "links"? The notes in NAU aren't links, i.e. they're not green and underlined like the scripture references in BDAG, e.g. (and even the auto-info version of the built-in BDAG weren't links until just a few revisions ago).

To get a cross-reference to display in auto-info, add <Rx> before or after the word (why NAU goes before when everyone else goes behind is beyond me), then add { <p><rsup>x</rsup> 1 Co 5:15 } at the end of the verse. The x is obviously a-z, whatever letter you want; the <p> and <rsup> directives aren't strictly required, but they make the note start on a new line and print as a superscript (the "raw form" allegedly displayed at the bottom of 311 is in fact *not* what results from exporting NAU; do a real export to see what it should look like).

VinceOk, but I don't want a note. I want cross references that appear on the right-hand side of the auto-info window - the same way they list for the WSC or the NAS/TSK scripture references.

I'm not even sure if this functionality is available when you create a database with content "WCF Only." It wasn't in 5.0, so mostly what I'm asking is if its available for 6.0.

I thought about exporting the WCS as an example to work off of, but it doesn't include the cross-references in the text file, so I haven't been able to figure out how it works.

Sorry if "links" was the wrong word, but technically that *is* how the cross-references work - you click on the reference, and it appears in the auto-info window. Sounds like a link to me, even if it isn't green and underlined.

vr8ce
05-25-2004, 12:00 PM
Ah, OK, I see what you mean. I was thinking of the scripture references in the BDAG.

Well, you don't want a note, but I think you do want what I told you. :) The <Rx> aren't notes, they're references (the notes in NAU have numbers, not letters). And the "things" (technical term) that show up in the little TSK region for the NAU are the same references as are in the auto-info window.

Whether that is automated or not, i.e. does any reference that shows up in auto-info also automatically get put in that area, I don't know, but it's easy enough to find out. Try it! :)

I didn't know there even was a WCF only on the VDC Content drop down, nor do I know what it does (the Help file for the VDC doesn't say anything about it). Do you?

Vince

Ok, but I don't want a note. I want cross references that appear on the right-hand side of the auto-info window - the same way they list for the WSC or the NAS/TSK scripture references.
Sorry if "links" was the wrong word, but technically that *is* how the cross-references work - you click on the reference, and it appears in the auto-info window. Sounds like a link to me, even if it isn't green and underlined.

Ben Spackman
06-02-2004, 07:53 PM
I discovered that you can make links (like the NET note links) by inserting into your note the following. <link b="reference">text</> For example, if you wanted to link to Genesis 3:2, but only have the text read "v.2" you would insert <link b="Gen 3:2">v. 2</>. This is great!

The dilemma is, what if I want to link to both biblical and nonbiblical texts in the same text? there's no way for it to remember which one you're in, since it automatically looks up the text of the link in the last-searched version.

Also, maybe someone else would know, how would one go about converting a large number of references to links, short of doing them all manually? A script?A macro? Slave labor (e.g. grad students?) I only know the third option, since I am one:D

Suggestions?

Dogfish Jones
06-02-2004, 09:16 PM
ok, I guess I really goofed by using the term "links" in my original post, especially since 6.0 has actually implemented true links in the AI window.

What I'm really looking for is getting the Heidelberg to have cross-references appear in the right-hand side of the AI window in a manner similar to the WCS, NAS or TSK.

Thanks for the info regarding inserting links in notes though, Ben. That will definitely prove helpful in the future.