PDA

View Full Version : Is an Upgrade from v6 to v7 seamless?

ericjdaniels
04-19-2007, 08:43 AM
I am considering upgrading from BW6. The price is less, but is the upgrade process seamless? Meaning, are there problems? Do you get an actual BW7 disc? I ask because I tend to clean install my laptop every so often and it would make for a longer process if I had to first install 6, then the 7 upgrade disc every time. Thanks so much for the help. Eric

SCSaunders
04-19-2007, 09:09 AM
I went from v6 to v7 and don't remember having any problems (but at my age, I don't remember what I had for breakfast).

BW7 comes with this tidbit: "BibleWorks 7 Installation Instructions - Important: If you have an earlier version of BibleWorks installed on this computer, it is best to uninstall the previous version before installing BibleWorks 7. ..."

So, to the best of my recollection, the answer to your question is - I don't think so (but I don't think, so .... take it with a grain of salt).

ericjdaniels
04-19-2007, 09:12 AM
So based on that, it seems like when you pay the upgrade price you actually get a full install disc? Is this true? I wonder if I should upgrade now or wait until the next update (BW8?). I assume the upgrade deals will still be offered, and money is tight. Any suggestions? Thanks!!! Eric

SCSaunders
04-19-2007, 09:22 AM
So based on that, it seems like when you pay the upgrade price you actually get a full install disc? Is this true? Yep.
I wonder if I should upgrade now or wait until the next update (BW8?).You may need to consult the Urim and Thummin on that.

ericjdaniels
04-19-2007, 09:24 AM
:)

Thanks for the help.

Eric

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-19-2007, 10:14 AM
I wonder if I should upgrade now or wait until the next update (BW8?).

I would say upgrade now, for the following reasons:

I think the version 7 upgrade was one of the most substantial and useful ever. I felt the upgrade price gave real value for price.
Version 7 hasn't been out all that long; therefore, I wouldn't think version 8 is coming really soon.
I would think BibleWorks would continue their generous upgrade pricing options when it comes time to make the move from 7 to 8.

Michael Hanel
04-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Upgrading will also allow you to use the custom HTML modules that have been made by users and there are some GREAT ones. If you're into text critic, there's a bunch of wonderful manuscript modules. If you like great commentaries, Keil and Delitzsch just came out. All of these would be major money on the table, but luckily for BW7 users they've been free. And since BW7 has been out check out some of the new things that have been added to current users for FREE (not all of them may be of interest to you, but I bet some are):

# Charles OT Pseudepigrapha
# The Van Dyke Arabic Bible
# Hone NT Apocrypha
# M. R. James NT Apocrypha
# Schlachter 2000 Bible (German)
# Complete Jewish Bible
# Turkish Bible
# ESV, 2007 edition
# QSM version 2.8 update [unlock required]
# Korean Bible
# Chinese Bibles
# update to Gesenius grammar
# update to Robertson's Greek grammar
# update to Philo
# update to Targum databases
# update to Croatian and Slovak Bibles

In other words, the value for BW7 has gotten better not worse!

terogs
04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Go ahead and upgrade.

I've been using BibleWorks since v. 4 and have never regretted upgrading to the newer versions. The upgrade from 6 to 7 is especially worth it because of the new interface and bundled tools!

Tom

ericjdaniels
04-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Great feedback All. Thanks for the suggestions. It seems like it makes sense...I'll just have to eat one less meal a day for awhile!!

Thanks!

Eric

Michael Hanel
04-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Great feedback All. Thanks for the suggestions. It seems like it makes sense...I'll just have to eat one less meal a day for awhile!!

Thanks!

Eric

I don't think you'll regret it in the long run. I didn't even mention that the Editor in BW7 is so much more reliable and functional. That has been one of the biggest upgrade kickers for me that I use just about every day.