PDA

View Full Version : Bible dictionary

redmd
04-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I am new to BW have looked for a Bible Dictionary; is there one and will it help you pronounce the words? TIA:)

ingosorke
04-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Welcome!

Under "Resources", go to "Bible Dictionaries . . . "
Under "Dictionaries" you then have the following options:

Fausset Dictionary
ISBE Encyclopedia
Easton Dictionary

They do not include audio for pronunciation help, however.
The vocabulary files in Bibleworks ("Tools" -- "Vocabulary Flashcard Module") offer Greek and Hebrew pronunciation.

Hope this gets you started!

Ingo

Gontroppo
04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
It is a pity that many books about the bible and many bible dictionaries, do not give the standard pronunciation[s] of common bible words.

I hear people reading to congregations stumbling over words that everyone in a former generation knew from Sunday School.

It is ironic that some well-read folk, who don't get out much, sometimes have really crazy pronunciations of words, because the books give no guide.

One little tip: did you know that all bible proper names that begin with CH should be pronounced KH, or less correctly, but acceptably K?

I've heard many folk, including some very well-known preachers, mispronouncing names like Chaldees, Chilion, etc. This is why the NIV/TNIV and some other versions print some of these names with an initial K.

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-18-2007, 08:59 AM
And that doesn't even count those who would pronounce ga.r as "yap." ;)

MGVH
04-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Well, you can use an online site like:
http://netministries.org/bbasics/bbwords.htm
I haven't check out all the pronunciations, but they seem good for ones I've checked.

Now who is going to find a way to mash this up and integrate it into BibleWorks...??!!

Steve Watkins
04-18-2007, 01:17 PM

that was pretty funny...:D

Dan Phillips
04-18-2007, 07:39 PM

Wait -- what are you saying??
:eek:

frdee
04-24-2007, 12:29 AM
@MGVH
The very first word is Aaron - the recommended pronunciation is "EHR-uhn". A little further, Abednego = "uh-BEHD-nee-go."Sorry, too American for me!

Well, you can use an online site like:
http://netministries.org/bbasics/bbwords.htm
I haven't check out all the pronunciations, but they seem good for ones I've checked.

Now who is going to find a way to mash this up and integrate it into BibleWorks...??!!