PDA

View Full Version : Keil and Delitzsch for BW available

Attie Bogaards
04-13-2007, 06:31 AM
The commentary of Keil and Delitzsch for BW is available at the following address:

www.enigstetroos.org/usermodules.htm (http://www.enigstetroos.org/usermodules.htm)

This is the result of the hard work and great effort of mr Willem Swanepoel of Krugersdorp in Sout Africa.

Enjoy it!

In Christ,
Attie Bogaards

Adelphos
04-13-2007, 07:56 AM
The commentary of Keil and Delitzsch for BW is available at the following address...

WOW! What a fantastic job!

Thanks so much.

Michael Hanel
04-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I posted a notice (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/2007/04/new-module-keil-and-delitzsch-ot.html) on the BibleWorks Blog. Is it okay if we host a copy of the file too?

Attie Bogaards
04-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Dear Michael,

I will appreciate it if you will place it on the Blog for download, notice.

Attie Bogaards

Steve Watkins
04-13-2007, 02:18 PM
This is a wonderful addition, thank you VERY much!

Adelphos
04-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Errata --

Job Introduction, first reference to Heb 12 incorrectly displays Heb 1:12.

Ben Spackman
04-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I hate to seem ungrateful, but would it be possible to recompile this with different fonts, particularly the Hebrew, and make it a little bigger? I've been using it in E-sword, and the fonts have always driven me crazy.

Glad to have it in BW though. Many thanks for your efforts!

Adelphos
04-13-2007, 05:49 PM
I hate to seem ungrateful, but would it be possible to recompile this with different fonts, particularly the Hebrew, and make it a little bigger? I've been using it in E-sword, and the fonts have always driven me crazy.

You can change the font and its size in E-sword by looking under the options tab.

There is also a way to change the font size in the .chm files (I believe), but I don't remember how.

FWIW, I like the fonts themselves, and I imagine it would be a ton of work to change them.

qohelet
04-14-2007, 03:41 AM
I love this commentary so much!!! now i can used it in BW7!!!

MEJ Buijs
04-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Mr. Swanepoel, mr. Bogaards - let me assure you your hard work
has not gone unnoticed. Rather puts to shame all the lazy sods
like myself who've so far mostly been enjoying the fruit of others'
labours. You will yet shame all of us into coming up with our own
bits to share around!

Delitzsch by the way reminded me of that other great modern
commentary, the International Critical Commentary, and browsing
around a bit I saw it's available these days for logos. Is it just me,
or is there something rather too crass about charging $1,600 for
a work most of whose contributors have been dead a good hundred
years?

Makes for quite a contrast with all those who like you have been
working on their modules tirelessly and free for all to share.

In vriendschap en genegenheid,

- MEJ Buijs

paul
04-15-2007, 04:56 PM
i've installed K-D to the C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 7\databases location, but i get the error message "can not be displayed"
what have i not done or done wrong? thank you, paul

David O'Dowd
04-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I run BW 7 on XP Pro and have noticed that if I extract some of ZIP files of user created databases to the BW "databases" folder the content will not display.

If instead I open the zip file in a new window by double-clicking on it in Explore (the Windows file manager) and then simply select, as with kd.zip, the three files, then right click and then drag and copy them to the BW "databases" folder the database program is now visible from within BW.

Not sure why the difference, but hope that works for you.

Michael Hanel
04-15-2007, 05:56 PM
i've installed K-D to the C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 7\databases location, but i get the error message "can not be displayed"
what have i not done or done wrong? thank you, paul

Did you try right clicking on the keil_and_delitzsch.chm file and make sure it is "unlocked"? This seems to have been a common problem due to security features.

paul
04-15-2007, 06:44 PM
thank you David and Michael for your advice. i have tried both sets of advice. the databases folder has all three KD files in it.
Michael, i assume you mean the .chd file. i don't have a .chm file. but nevertheless, right clicking does not give me an option for unlocking. ?
i'm using XP Home. when i click on the KD link in the right BW7 window, it opens a browser-like window that says "cannot be displayed"
thanks for any suggestions.

Michael Hanel
04-15-2007, 06:46 PM
thank you David and Michael for your advice. i have tried both sets of advice. the databases folder has all three KD files in it.
Michael, i assume you mean the .chd file. i don't have a .chm file. but nevertheless, right clicking does not give me an option for unlocking. ?
i'm using XP Home. when i click on the KD link in the right BW7 window, it opens a browser-like window that says "cannot be displayed"
thanks for any suggestions.

if you don't have a .chm file something is wrong. That is the HTML help file that is the meat of the program. the other two files are supplementary for BW indexing. Type out what the contents of the zip file are and file size.

paul
04-15-2007, 07:11 PM
keil and delitzsch.chd 1kb
keil and del html help file 14,007kb
keil and del .sdx 2,111 kb

is the .chm file the "html help file?"

thank you!

Michael Hanel
04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
keil and delitzsch.chd 1kb
keil and del html help file 14,007kb
keil and del .sdx 2,111 kb

is the .chm file the "html help file?"

thank you!

Yes it is. Try right clicking that for the unblock/unlock check box.

paul
04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
yes, that is the .chm file i see by looking for properties!

paul
04-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Michael, when i right click on the file and "open" it, i successfully get KD!
but when i then opened BW and clicked on link in right panel, i still received the cannot be displayed warning. do i need to restart the computer for this to work? thank you, paul

Michael Hanel
04-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Michael, when i right click on the file and "open" it, i successfully get KD!
but when i then opened BW and clicked on link in right panel, i still received the cannot be displayed warning. do i need to restart the computer for this to work? thank you, paul

Right click the HTML help file, select properties. a pop up comes up. on the lower portion of that under Attributes there may be a check box that says unblock/unlock or something like that. If you don't see anything like it that when you select properties then I am troubleshooting the wrong option and it must be something else that's causing your problem.

paul
04-15-2007, 07:33 PM
it needed unblocking because the security dept didn't know where it came from. the security dept doesn't understand that i trust my bible people, i'm not out on u tube or something. thank you!

Michael Hanel
04-15-2007, 07:41 PM
it needed unblocking because the security dept didn't know where it came from. the security dept doesn't understand that i trust my bible people, i'm not out on u tube or something. thank you!

Glad that solved your woes. You are not the first to trip up on this issue. It is sneaky.

Willem Swanepoel
04-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Hi everyone,
Thank you very much for the possitive feedback! It makes the effort all the more worthwhile.

I have looked into changing the font size. I can easily make a global change to say 14pt. I am just not sure it improves the general look of it. I will let myself be guided by you guys in this.

Please let me know if you find any other incorrect scripture pop-ups (like the one in Job Introduction). I will issue an update at a later stage.

Regards,
Willem Swanepoel

PS. I can easily change the current:

Contents, Design, and Plan of the Book of Genesis
The first book of Moses, which has the superscription בראשׁיח in the original, Γένεσις Κόσμον in the Cod. Alex. of the lxx, and is called liber creationis by the Rabbins, has received the name of

To:

Contents, Design, and Plan of the Book of Genesis

The first book of Moses, which has the superscription בראשׁיחin the original, ΓένεσιςΚόσμον in the Cod. Alex. of the lxx, and is called liber creationis by the Rabbins, has received the name of

Would the latter, which makes the Hebrew more readabe, be acceptable?

calvary
04-18-2007, 02:13 AM
Thank you Attie.....:)

Dave

Michael Hanel
04-18-2007, 10:35 AM

The latter is definitely better from here. If it's an easy change, go for it. It will prevent excess squinting by many!

Stefan Green
04-20-2007, 03:08 AM
Agree
The size of the font is better in the second alternative.
Stefan

David Kummerow
04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Personally, I think the second option is too big. The first one is fine, but perhaps 13pt might be better?

Alan Sommer
04-24-2007, 04:33 PM
I just wanted to add my thanks for the hard work in making K-D available. What a blessing for the rest of us! (I also like the larger font)

Alan

Adamsen
04-25-2007, 03:20 AM
I just wanted to add my thanks for the hard work in making K-D available. What a blessing for the rest of us! (I also like the larger font)

Alan

I am also thankful for this resource.

All the best,

Georg

gcalton
04-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I am not sure how to put this in BW could someone please help me

vr8ce
04-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Would the latter, which makes the Hebrew more readable, be acceptable?
I think the latter is definitely preferable; that's about the size I keep Hebrew in Bibleworks itself.

I'll echo all of the other "THANK YOU"s. This is something I've wanted in BW for years.

Vince

vr8ce
04-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I've been playing with this for a few minutes, and while it seems to works fine if I open it from the Tools/Commentary menu, if I open it by clicking on an entry in the Resource Summary window, I've twice gotten a BW error (the "Revert to Previous version", etc. with Shutdown dialog) when I close the K&D window. I've accessed it a few times from Resource Summary without errors, but I've had it choke twice already, and I've probably only seen that window three times in the whole time I've been running BW7.

I'm running 7.0.018i.2 on XPSP2. Has anyone else seen a problem?

Thanks,

Vince

Steve Watkins
04-25-2007, 01:47 PM
I am not sure how to put this in BW could someone please help me

All you need to do is unzip the files and place them in the Databases folder in your BibleWorks path. (Probably C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 7\Databases)

Shut BibleWorks down before you do this. After the unzipped files are in the Databases folder, start BibleWorks up. You should have a "Commentary" selection under your "Resources" menu, with Keil and Delitzsch in it. The commentary will also be integrated into the Resource Summary window.

Steve Watkins
04-25-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm running 7.0.018i.2 on XPSP2. Has anyone else seen a problem?

No problems here, but you should update to the latest executable. As of this morning (4/25/07), it is 7.0.018x.2. Yours would appear to be fairly old.

Steve Watkins
04-25-2007, 01:52 PM

Gotta concur with the consensus here - the larger Hebrew font is much better. Thanks!

Adelphos
04-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Hi everyone,
Thank you very much for the possitive feedback! It makes the effort all the more worthwhile.

Willem,

Once again, let me thank you for your hard work on this.

In addition to changing the font to whatever size you decide on, you should know that the first portion of K&D is missing, i.e., the "General Introduction To The Five Books Of Moses"

I haven't seen this included in the other online versions I've seen, either, but it is in the print edition.

It is about 10 pages long, perhaps only four or five in .CHM format. In any case, let me know if you would like me to send this to you so you can include it in your next release.

Willem Swanepoel
05-02-2007, 04:49 AM
Hi Scott,
If you can scan those pages for me, I will gladly include them in a later update of keil and Delitzsch. You are welcome to send them as images, I will do an OCR on them.

Please emial to wjswanepoel@gmail.com

Warm regards,
Willem Swanepoel

Adelphos
05-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Scott,
If you can scan those pages for me, I will gladly include them in a later update of keil and Delitzsch. You are welcome to send them as images, I will do an OCR on them.

I'll do better than that. I've got them in PDF format (in addition to my print edition), and they are not images, so I'll convert them over to HTML format and send them to you. It will take me a few days, as I've got other things on my plate at the moment, and there are four or five introductions which are not included in the current online edition. So I'll reformat these four or five intros and then send them to you all at once. Probably next week, but if I get the time, later this week.

MBushell
05-07-2007, 07:36 PM
If you are running under Vista and don't see any text in the Keil and Delitzsch module, close BW and find the K&D file in the databases folder. Right click on it and at the bottom of the menu you will see an option to unlock the file. Vista automatically locks downloaded files. I really don't like Vista.

Mike

Steve Watkins
05-07-2007, 11:29 PM
I really don't like Vista.

Mike

Huh - we were all set to launch the Mike Bushell Vista Fan Club, too. Bummer. :cool:

SCSaunders
06-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Thank you Willem, Attie and Michael.

Just down-loaded and placed in my database file.

Amazing what you folks have done!

David Kummerow
07-25-2007, 12:31 AM
I'll do better than that. I've got them in PDF format (in addition to my print edition), and they are not images, so I'll convert them over to HTML format and send them to you. It will take me a few days, as I've got other things on my plate at the moment, and there are four or five introductions which are not included in the current online edition. So I'll reformat these four or five intros and then send them to you all at once. Probably next week, but if I get the time, later this week.
Just wondering if these extra pages have been added to the file yet?

Thanks,
David Kummerow.

Willem Swanepoel
07-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Hi,
I am currently busy adding the additional pages and will be releasing an update as soon as I can.

Regards,
Willem Swanepoel

David Kummerow
07-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi,
I am currently busy adding the additional pages and will be releasing an update as soon as I can.

Regards,
Willem Swanepoel
Fantastic, and thanks for your work. Take your time, though. My question wasn't an attempt to try and hurry you up or anything.

Thanks again,
David Kummerow.