PDA

View Full Version : BW crashes when attempting update

MEJ Buijs
03-23-2007, 07:34 PM
At the moment I'm running on 7.0.018i.3 and whenever I go to Help | BibleWorks on the Internet | Check for Updates... an error message pops up and BW crashes. Ive tried going back to 18g, but this doesnt seem to solve the problem.

Any ideas on what to do, other than re-installing BW altogether? With getting all the wonderful user-created versions and modules back it'd be something of a chore, I'm afraid.

Philip Brown
03-24-2007, 11:07 AM
I reverted back to 18a before updating to 18j (the current iteration) and all seems to be working properly.

MEJ Buijs
03-25-2007, 07:55 PM
It would only let me revert to 18g or 18i, neither of which particularly helped. Then I tried to use the "repair" function, but having done that BW wouldn't even start any more to begin with!

Anyways, after a fresh install I directly updated to 18j no problem, and things seem to be working fine now. Best thing is, having left all the user-made content in the old directories, it's all still there for use immediately. Splendid.

Mark Eddy
03-26-2007, 03:56 PM
I have been having crash problems as well. It helped me to delete the BW700.ini file in the main BibleWorks 7 folder and then re-named an older BW700_1.ini file that I had saved. I lost a lot of my settings, but at least I got BW to boot up. If you don't have a saved BW700.ini file that works, I think you can just rename your BW700.ini file, so that a file with this name is no longer in the file, and then try to launch BW, and BW will open by recreating the default .ini file. You will, of course lose all your settings. But you could copy and paste individual lines from your saved .ini file into the default. I suspect that a line or two in your settings is causing the crash. But it would take a lot of time to figure out which ones.
Mark Eddy