PDA

View Full Version : BW 7.0: Arabic and NT Apocrypha

MBushell
03-19-2007, 04:26 PM
We just posted the following new databases. They are free for the downloading for all BibleWorks 7.0 users.

1. The Van Dyke Arabic Bible. Copyright (c) 1998-2005, Arabic Bible Outreach Ministry, P.O. Box 486, Dracut, MA 01826. This is available in two versions, "AVX" for Windows XP and "AVD" for Windows Vista. Neither Windows XP nor Vista handle Arabic correctly, though Vista is by far the better of the two. Because the two versions sort Arabic words differently, the same version database cannot be used on both systems. Version 7.0.018h or later of the program is necessary. This is a "preview" version because of the number of changes we had to make to support Arabic. See the previous executable post. After you have AVX/AVD installed take a look at the version info for details on how to use the version.

2. The William Hone translation of the New Testament Apocrypha. The version ID is HON.

3. The Apocryphal New Testament translated by Montague Rhodes James. It is availabe as an HTML Help module. Look under Resources | Miscellaneous. Some of the texts have been extracted and compiled as a BibleWorks version with the ID "JAM". This text has been newly scanned and double proofed by a company under contract to us so it should be in very good shape.

4. You will also need to get the latest Book Names list, posted separately at the same time. These add book names for the NT Apocrypha.

Thanks for using BibleWorks. We are thankful that the Lord has blessed us sufficiently to enable us to provide these to our users without additional charge. Enjoy!

God bless,
Mike Bushell for the BibleWorks
Programming and Support Staff

Michael Hanel
03-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Wow, more additions to BW7, awesome! :)

Things look pretty good on first glance. Although some work may need to be done later to line up the verse-by-verse divisions if that's possible.

examples: 1 and 2 Clement seem to use a completely different verse numbering scheme in HON, same with Hermas, etc. Not sure if you can correct the numbering scheme or else create a verse map file for those....

I don't know Arabic, but it looks good.

Adelphos
03-19-2007, 07:17 PM
We just posted the following new databases. They are free for the downloading for all BibleWorks 7.0 users.

1. The Van Dyke Arabic Bible...

I have downloaded these versions, yet they show up NOWHERE -- not in Choose Display Versions, not in Choose Search Version... NOWHERE.

How, therefore, are they accessed?

Michael Hanel
03-19-2007, 07:23 PM
I have downloaded these versions, yet they show up NOWHERE -- not in Choose Display Versions, not in Choose Search Version... NOWHERE.

How, therefore, are they accessed?

Did you also download the new EXE? They won't be accessible I imagine without that.

Adelphos
03-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Did you also download the new EXE? They won't be accessible I imagine without that.

No, not at first. But I have now, and that fixed the problem. Also, the new EXE worked for me without a hitch.

jdarlack
03-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Excellent addition Mike! You guys never cease to amaze me.

Everything worked just fine (though I had to modify my *.bna files and some of the modules I've prepared for myself). Oh, the pain of progress!

I agree with Michael Hanel about the versification.
. . . Although some work may need to be done later to line up the verse-by-verse divisions if that's possible.

examples: 1 and 2 Clement seem to use a completely different verse numbering scheme in HON, same with Hermas, etc. Not sure if you can correct the numbering scheme or else create a verse map file for those. . . . It would be helpful for consistency across the board so that at least HON and JAM lined up with each other and other versions such as the APF. It would also be great if the Gospel of Thomas files could be read in parallel (I've posted a G. Thomas file in the past (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/version/gthomas.zip) with multiple translations, so I'm partial to the book name "Tho." ;) )

Chris Cook
03-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Just loaded all the latest updates and a new warning comes up when I launch BW7.0:

"Unable to load the version file avd.dbu. To use this version you must have the Windows support for right-to-left languages loaded, and have an Arabic keyboard activated. This can be done by double-clicking on the "Regional and Languages" applet in the Windows Control Panel."

I don't ever plan on using the Arabic files. What do I have to do to not get this warning everytime I want to use BW?

MBushell
03-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Chris, you can either install the appropriate language tools (60 seconds and a reboot) or go to the BibleWorks databases folder and remove all AVX.* and AVD.* file. Actually all you need to remove are the AVX.DBU and AVD.DBU files, but if you want to clean it out delete them all.

Mike

Philip Brown
03-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi, Mike,

I emailed you a bug report on this. Was too difficult to use this forum to report it. But you said you wanted notification here.

With 18i.3 Num. 13:29 in WTT showing some Hebrew text in English letters and placing the references in the middle of the first line

Thanks.

calvary
03-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Hmm... Unfortunately, this update roached by BW setup . BW crashes every time I try to start it up and I can't seem to reinstall an old patch either... Bummer.
Dave

Michael Hanel
03-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Hmm... Unfortunately, this update roached by BW setup . BW crashes every time I try to start it up and I can't seem to reinstall an old patch either... Bummer.
Dave

I've had this same problem. The only way around it so far is to restore a previous checkpoint. Hold down shift as you double-click BibleWorks and choose an older restore point.

calvary
03-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Thank you Michael for the tip.

Dave

Gig
03-24-2007, 06:54 PM
The updater sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. When it doesn't, as today when I tried to download the Hone et al., I got an error about the patch size and a dialog box advising me to restart Windows (!) This sort of thing has been happening a lot lately--the updater seems not to work more than it works. I also get a confusing list of every patch ever offered, it seems, including prior versions of the executable. What's going on?

Michael Hanel
03-24-2007, 07:02 PM
also get a confusing list of every patch ever offered, it seems, including prior versions of the executable. What's going on?

Not sure on your other issues, but this can be toggled in the Updater under Options: Show Downloaded Patches.

kmejrup
07-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Dear BW-users
Does anyone know if it is posible to get acces to a greek version of the NT apocryphas (actually: the acts of Paul) I managed to downlowd the english translation database, however I am still wondering if a greek version is exsistent?

Best regards
Kristian (DK)