PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks Maps - Corrections?

MGVH
02-19-2007, 05:33 PM
I've done a little editing in my BibleWorks maps module, so this may be my problem, but I think Jericho is quite a bit off in placement. It now appears to be rather close to Jerusalem just off to the east rather than farther east and just north of the Dead Sea.
It's properties now locate it at: 31.800000 N and 35.300000 E
If Google Earth is accurate (and it appears so), you can locate the tell exactly at: 31.870728 N and 35.443865 E
These coordinates do set Jericho correctly north of the Dead Sea.

If this mislocation is not the result of some previous bad editing I did, then it should be noted as a needed correction. Perhaps this thread can be used to list other corrections people find.

BTW, if you haven't tried out Google Earth (http://earth.google.com/) (free download), it is way cool. Type in 31.870728 N 35.443865 E in the search and zoom in to see the Jericho tell. Or check out Capernaum at 32.880918 N 35.575591 E

MarkAllison
02-21-2007, 07:59 AM
I've played around with Google Earth a little, but not much. It would be pretty cool to post a list of the major archaeological sites, unless this can be found elsewhere on the net.

Mark Allison

MGVH
02-21-2007, 12:05 PM
A couple ways this can be accomplished.
1) Using the BW Maps Module, go to edit mode, click on a site, and it will give you latitude and longitude coordinates. Type these in on Google Earth search, and it will bring right to the place.

2) As I locate the sites in Google Earth, I'm marking them. The sites can then be saved as .kmz files. I've attached a ZIP with 7 sites so located. After extracting from the zip, double-clicking should bring you to the spot in GoogleEarth.

MarkAllison
02-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the tip. The .kmz files worked great too!

Mark Allison

MTan
03-28-2007, 07:09 PM
The locations for Jericho have been updated... Look for it in a coming patch!

Michael

MGVH
03-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Over at OpenBible.info (specifically, go to: HERE (http://www.openbible.info/geo/)), a GoogleEarth file linked to every location in the Bible has been created. It is really a great resource. If you don't want to download/install GoogleEarth (but why wouldn't you?), there are also preview links grouped by biblical books to GoogleMaps online. The only thing that needs more work is that all the Jerusalem sites are given a single coordinate. The Google Maps are of high enough resolution that those locations could be split up. Each location is also linked to its biblical reference, and that reference is a clickable link to the ESV Bible site. So, you have the option of searching either by biblical book or by specific place or by clicking around on the map.

I also want to highlight another GoogleEarth mashup provided by HERE (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/515491/page/) at the GoogleEarth Community board. It provides a similar collection of links to biblical sites, but instead of linking to the biblical references, brief descriptions are provided.

I've also been playing around with GoogleEarth overlays. If you go HERE (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/839060/page/), you will find some overlays of ancient trade routes I've created.

Adelphos
03-28-2007, 09:37 PM
The locations for Jericho have been updated... Look for it in a coming patch!

The update crashes when trying to apply the map patch.

Stefan Green
03-29-2007, 07:17 AM
The update crashes when trying to apply the map patch.

The update crashes also on my computer.
Stefan Green

terogs
03-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Mine, too, and I didn't download the Arabic Bibles, just the update to the executable.

Adelphos
03-29-2007, 07:49 PM
The map exe download has been fixed, apparently, however...

This has been reported numerous times in the past, and still is not fixed; i.e., the Journeys of Peter map gives an error message upon loading, stating that _test.lab cannot be found.

MTan
03-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Whoops! Sorry about that. It should be fixed in the next maps update today. Thanks.

Michael

Matt Harmon
03-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Michael,

I know I have requested this before, but just wanted to mention it to get it on the radar. I would greatly appreciate the maps module having a "roads" overlay. This would be immensely helpful in understanding travel in the ancient world. I know during beta we talked about this, but I just wanted to request this option again.

Thanks for a terrific tool.

Adelphos
03-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Whoops! Sorry about that. It should be fixed in the next maps update today.

Much obliged. The fix is in!

Now how about taking a shot at the NOT operator searches in Strong's, which have been broken for quite awhile now. ;)

MBushell
03-31-2007, 12:55 AM
The Jericho problem has been fixed and posted. Thanks,
Mike