PDA

View Full Version : Greek/Hebrew fonts in Blogger blogs?



Dan Phillips
02-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Shortest version: how to have accented, breathitized, subscripted Greek in a Blogger blog?

Longer: I'm starting a new blog (http://knowgreek.blogspot.com/) in which I'd like to use Greek. Best I can figure so far is from the Unbound Bible (http://unbound.biola.edu/), which however is breathless and unaccented... and WH.

Is it possible to copy Greek NT passages with accents and all, and have them show properly on everyone's pc? And if so, can you explain it in simple terms?

I tried using the BW7 unicode export option, but even within BW7 itself there were a lot of little square boxes.

Michael Hanel
02-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Shortest version: how to have accented, breathitized, subscripted Greek in a Blogger blog?

Longer: I'm starting a new blog (http://knowgreek.blogspot.com/) in which I'd like to use Greek. Best I can figure so far is from the Unbound Bible (http://unbound.biola.edu/), which however is breathless and unaccented... and WH.

Is it possible to copy Greek NT passages with accents and all, and have them show properly on everyone's pc? And if so, can you explain it in simple terms?

I tried using the BW7 unicode export option, but even within BW7 itself there were a lot of little square boxes.

What export font are you using? The Unicode export option should work properly unless you are using a font that doesn't support all of the characters. Otherwise I'm not sure.

Dan Phillips
02-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Michael.

What I'm using is BWgrkl, with unicode checked. It goes into BW7 with some boxes (i.e. accented letters), and looking lame. It copies to Blogger simply as...uh. Okay, this is weird. Within BW7, it has a bunch of boxes. But in Blogger on Firefox, it looks perfect. Check this out (http://knowgreek.blogspot.com/2007/02/first-and-hopefully-lamest-post.html), if you don't mind.

On my pc, Maxthon (IE-based) shows with boxes, Firefox shows perfectly.

Any clue what any of that is about?

Michael Hanel
02-18-2007, 08:43 PM
You will want to go to the Fonts Options and then click the radio button "Export Fonts" In that configuration you will want to choose a font other than Bwgrkl, something like Palatino Linotype which supports Unicode and then make sure the Unicode is checked. Then hit OK.

Now it will export font into Unicode compatible format. You can change the font to other unicode-based fonts and they will show up fine, only the font face will change.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that the Export to Unicode option does not work in all applications. For instance, it will not copy correctly to Excel, Notepad, Firefox. It exports simply as the BwGrkl font and corresponding characters. I'm not sure technically why it does this, but it does.

Hope something in there helped...

Michael Hanel
02-18-2007, 08:47 PM
On my pc, Maxthon (IE-based) shows with boxes, Firefox shows perfectly.

Any clue what any of that is about?

That issue is not related to BibleWorks, that would be whether or not your browser views Unicode fonts. It would appear your Maxthon browser has issues with viewing a webpage with precombined diacritics. Somewhere in the browser there should be a way to fix that. Does the same problem occur in other webpages with Greek fonts like that? Web browsers have gradually become better at working with Unicode but I guess not perfect.

Dan Phillips
02-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Michael, thanks. It was your answer that pointed me in the right direction. I set to export in Palatino Linotype with Unicode enabled. Can't go straight to Blogger, but copy to BW user notes, then copy thence and paste into Blogger.

I learned that Opera, Firefox, and any browser based on IE7 can read it. IE6 sees some letters as boxes. I've had a very nice response to the new blog.

Now one problem remains: Hebrew. When I do the same with Hebrew, it shows boxes even in the BW user notes. In Blogger, it's not right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Michael Hanel
02-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Now one problem remains: Hebrew. When I do the same with Hebrew, it shows boxes even in the BW user notes. In Blogger, it's not right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Change your export font to SBL Hebrew (Unicode enabled), hit OK, restart BW and try pasting to the Editor again. Should work. Now whether that works well in Blogger or not, I do not know. Unicode is a dreamland and someday we'll be there, but we aren't yet. Palatino Linotype is a nice font (in my opinion) for reading Greek, but it apparently doesn't support all the character of Hebrew yet. (I'm assuming that this will fix your problem anyway. If not, I'll save the soapbox for another day :) )

Dan Phillips
02-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks Michael. This gives me progress, but not success. I'd tried that font, but not closed and reopened BW. Now it does successfully paste into User Notes...but it has boxes in IE7, and is just plain strange in Firefox.

Tried the close/reopen with Palatino L, no joy.

Michael Hanel
02-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Hmm, odd. Someone else might have an idea. My guess is that it would be a Web browser issue, it might be reading the Unicode characters, but it is reading them from a different Unicode font package which does not have all of the Hebrew characters correct. If that's the case maybe someone more into HTML and web stuff could explain how you get a browser to select the right font. It also might be complicated by the right-to-left thing. Perhaps someone else will have an idea. I try to stick to my Greek ;)