PDA

View Full Version : Cannot install BW7 data on 2nd drive

johns
02-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Hello, I decided to ask for help on this issue before I waste any more time. I spent almost 10 hours attempting to install BW7 on my laptop computer which has a limited amount of free space.

I was able to sucessfully install BW7 with a default configuration, but this does not leave me enough free space to install other programs I need to have on there.

By editing BW7.INI and BW7DIR.INI files in my Windows directory, I was able to move the entire "database" directory to a portable USB drive, which allows me to use the program even with limited space on drive C:

Everything seemed fine until I tried to do the same thing with the next largest directory, the "videos" directory. Even though there is a line for the file path to the videos directory in both of the config files, the program upon startup still insists that they be in the installation directory.

My memory is fuzzy, but it seems to me that in the past, with prior BW versions, I was able to view the help and training videos right off a CD. But there does not seem to be an option like that with BW7. Am I missing something here? Which CD would I put in the drive to use the videos? And how do I get rid of the error messages upon startup if the video files are not int the drive C: install directory?

Making matters even worse, I had the bright idea of updating the program. I thought maybe this was a bug, and has already been fixed :) .

Unfortunately, updating really made matters worse. I still cannot get it to run ... and the updated program seems to have delete the ".ini" files in the Windows directory. It also created some new ".ini" files in the installation directory, but they have different names with what appears to be version numbers in the filename.

At this point I cannot even tell which files it is using for configuration, and even if I did, it seems to ignore them anyway and expect the "videos" files to only be under the drive C: installation directory.

Is there any way I can move this large batch of files to other media? They take up almost a gigabyte of space, but the program will not let me move them!!!

Please help,
John

johns
02-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Well dont all jump at once! I know you are all very eager to help with this problem, but please wait in line :)

Actually if memory serves me correctly, I have submitted questions before on previous versions ... I guess I should have known not to expect any help.

I guess I will have to revert back to BW6. I cannot believe the program is so sophisticated as to have these configuration files, yet the help system ignores the configuration and is hard-coded to look only on the "C" drive.

So much for upgrades being better ... I have hundreds of dollars invested in this program ... did each update ... 4,5,6, and 7 ... and purchased additonal titles too. And I cannot get it to run without tying up gigabytes of hard drive space on my main drive for the movie files.

Maybe I should go back to version 4, seems like I kinda liked that version :D

Michael Hanel
02-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Try contacting tech support directly, you might have more success. I would help, but don't know anything about this particular issue.

http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html (http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html)