PDA

View Full Version : Help with Command line search

ericjdaniels
02-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I hate to ask what will probably seem like a basic question to many of you but... Whenever I try to do a command line search for a Hebrew form with any pronoun, I can't get the code right.

For instance, I am trying to search for any form of!yIa; with a pronominal suffix. So I search in WTM using the code .!yIa;@Pd+S???*

But this turns up forms with AND without pronominal suffixes. I have also tried to use placeholders for the question marks, that doesn't work either.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much for the help! This driving me nuts. :confused:

ericjdaniels
02-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Forgot to mention I am using 6.0, bot sure if it matters though.

Glenn Weaver
02-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Hi Eric,

The problem with your search is the use of wildcards in the suffix codes. The ? means "any character" in the list of possible suffix codes, including the option for "no person", "no gender", "no number".

To find only the forms that have a suffix, use the braces {} to add multiple codes. Here is the search, using the WTM:
!ya@Pd+S{123}{mfbc}{spd}*

To obtain a list of words found in the search, you can use the Word List Manager. Set the WTT (not WTM) as the search version, and load the highlighted words from the last query. This will show all the forms found (hence the need to search the WTT in the Word List Manager).

Hope this helps.
Glenn

Philip Brown
02-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi, Eric,

The reason you are getting forms without pronominal suffixes is that the wildcard ? stands for any character. x is a character, and Sxxx means there is no suffix.

Here's the search you need: !yIa;@Pd+S nyIa;@Pd+Sxxx

Copy that apparent gibberish to the command line, with WTM and vowel-point sensitive searching ON.
Then click on the Common Search Utilities button (far right of command line) and choose Advanced Search Engine.
Double-click on the word box that has NOT on it.
Check the box that says "Suppress Highlighting" -- this turns off highlighting for the NOT box. If you leave it on, every word in every verse will be highlighted.

Hope that helps.

Glenn Weaver
02-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Isn't BibleWorks wonderful--you can perform the same search in multiple ways!

Thanks for the help, Philip. You mentioned some things I neglected to add, or even to explain as well.

Glenn

Philip Brown
02-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi, Glenn,

I like your way too!:) Bypasses the ASE/GSE.

Not sure why, but when I copied your search to the WTM, it would not work for me until I replaced the first curly brace with a ... curly brace! Then it worked fine.

Blessings!

Glenn Weaver
02-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi Philip,

The reason why my search wouldn't copy to the CL and run was that I replaced the curly brace with a curly brace after I copied it to the bulletin board. I removed the gibberish so that the search was more easily read, even though it could not be copied and pasted into the CL. I'm not sure why it works this way.

Glenn

ericjdaniels
02-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate it. That did the trick. I was wondering if that was the way, but wasn't sure how to even try it. Thanks SO much!!!

Many thanks.

MBushell
02-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Just as a reminder, you can save command line searches and post them. Just right click on the CL and it's the third item down. It saves the version and a few other critical parameters as well. Just drag it to the BW window to run it. It makes it easy to share or save CL searches.
Mike