PDA

View Full Version : BW7 Update 7.0.018a: New Checkpoint Feature

MBushell
02-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Update: BibleWorks Executable (7.018a)
Date: 02/12/07 at 11:53:25

This patch contains the latest BibleWorks 7.0 program executable. This version has a new checkpoint feature. The details are in the latest Help file which you should also download. Look under "checkpoints" in the index.

This feature causes the current executable, ini file and context file to be saved in a “checkpoint” each time the program exits. Checkpoint file names are based on version number so until the version number changes, the same checkpoint will be used and overwritten. What this does is make available the last successfully run configuration in case there are problems. A maximum of 5 checkpoints are maintained and the oldest deleted to make space for new ones.

If the program gets in a situation where it crashes on startup the checkpoint menu can be accessed by holding down SHIFT+CTRL when starting the program. The user can then revert to an older version. Also, if BibleWorks crashes, the crash window will offer reverting to an earlier version of BibleWorks as an option. The checkpoint menu is also available under the FILE menu.

The user can also save an unlimited number of manual checkpoints as described in the manual.

Later today I will post a new version so you can see if a new checkpoint is created and you should be able to switch back and forth between the two executables with ease. Check it out and let me know what you think. This should make it possible to check very easily if a problem has been introduced in a recent patch. It is also useful for experimentation. You can play around with settings and easily revert back to an old configuration.

If you have problems with this update please post a reply to this message on the BibleWorks Forum in the Program and Database Updates section. If you post a response elsewhere we may not see it. Please do not use this section to post messages about anything but this update.

Thanks!

pastor-steve
04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
BW Team,

You have outdone yourselves! I just tried to load BibleWorks after an update and it crashed. But this isn't a complaint. Instead of having to go and find my CDs, reload and then download all of the updates again, all I had to do was to revert to a saved checkpoint!

I was working on my Good Friday service for tomorrow and instead of wasting two hours, I'm back in business after a couple of minutes.

THANK YOU! This is an amazing feature and a true blessing to me.

Steve

P.S. ACK! I can't edit the subject line to fix the typo. Sorry for the extra "e" and missing space in "time saving."