PDA

View Full Version : BW 6 & 7: Vista and BibleWorks

MBushell
01-29-2007, 05:26 PM
As most of you know today is official release day for Vista, although it has been available for the last month to business customers. If you are upgrading to Vista or buying a new machine with Vista preinstalled, you will need to reinstall BibleWorks following the instructions located at this url:

http://www.bibleworks.com/vistafix/

Basically what you will do is install BibleWorks from your CDs and then before running BibleWorks apply the patch that can be downloaded at the above location. Please follow the instructions carefully.

Patches are being provided for BibleWorks 6 and 7. A Vista installation CD will be made available by the end of the summer. Until then this patch provides what you need to run BW 6 or 7 under Vista.

Versions of BibleWorks before 6.0 are not supported on Vista.

We have spent several weeks now with Vista and believe that BibleWorks now works well with the new Windows release. We cannot, however, recommend Vista yet to our users. It is not, in our opinion, ready for commercial release. The level of backwards compatibility is very low. You can expect to lose a lot of programs in the switch and many of the programs that work are going to have problems. The new security features are somewhat Draconian and very intrusive. Our recommendation is to wait until the first service pack is released later this year. Even then we recommend staying with XP as long as you can unless you have a specific reason to switch - or unless Microsoft reconsiders some of the more intrusive security features. I hope they do, for their sake as well as ours and yours.

We will be very interested to hear the opinions of those of you who do choose to update.

God bless,
Mike Bushell
BibleWorks, LLC

fljones3
01-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Good job as usual from Bibleworks. Your patch and procedure worked perfectly. I have not had any problems with the VISTA release. The RC1 beta version I did. All is working great.

Frank

Lane Douglas
02-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks much for the quick post of the Vista patch. Everything seems to be running great with one exception. Am running the 7.0.017v executable which is what the patch installed and am running VISTA ULTIMATE. When I go to the "Check For Updates..." option, I get the following:

http://www.cagministries.org/images/BW_Screen_Error.png

Any thoughts? Anyone else getting this?

Lane

qohelet
04-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks much for the quick post of the Vista patch. Everything seems to be running great with one exception. Am running the 7.0.017v executable which is what the patch installed and am running VISTA ULTIMATE. When I go to the "Check For Updates..." option, I get the following:

http://www.cagministries.org/images/BW_Screen_Error.png

Any thoughts? Anyone else getting this?

Lane

I always appreciated the efforts of Bibleworks team... you have indeed come a long way in helping people better understand God's word.. But i just hope that you can release a better patch than you posted above.. it seems that even if i applied the patch, Bibleworks is still very unstable in vista and not to mention that it's too slow.. i came accross several times with the picture above not only in getting updates but also when doing some basic stuff in Bibleworks...

Please do improve your patch so that it will work well in vista... Thank you!!!

Lane Douglas
04-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Qohelet...

I'm not sure how the BibleWorks team will respond, but just as an FYI, their advice that they gave me did the trick and my copy of BibleWorks is now running stable in Vista. The trick for me was to completely un-install the program. I then downloaded the patch to my desktop BUT DID NOTHING WITH IT YET. Then, I re-installed BibleWorks BUT DID NOT RUN IT OR OPEN IT. At this point, with both the patch downloaded and the program installed (but not having been run!!) I installed the patch. After that, BibleWorks opened just fine and has not had another error message when checking for updates or at any other time.

Hope this helps!

Lane

qohelet
04-23-2007, 03:56 AM
Qohelet...

I'm not sure how the BibleWorks team will respond, but just as an FYI, their advice that they gave me did the trick and my copy of BibleWorks is now running stable in Vista. The trick for me was to completely un-install the program. I then downloaded the patch to my desktop BUT DID NOTHING WITH IT YET. Then, I re-installed BibleWorks BUT DID NOT RUN IT OR OPEN IT. At this point, with both the patch downloaded and the program installed (but not having been run!!) I installed the patch. After that, BibleWorks opened just fine and has not had another error message when checking for updates or at any other time.

Hope this helps!

Lane

Hi Lane!!!

Thanks for yor advice but already did this.

qohelet
04-25-2007, 06:27 AM
ok.... i decided to just go back to xp because of Bibleworks 7.... :( I'm quite disappointed but i love and need bibleworks so much that i got not choice but to back to xp.... i will switch back again to xp if vista is stable enough and bibleworks vista patch will work well....

anyone knows when will bibleworks team going release a bibleworks installer for vista???

Steve Watkins
04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
i will switch back again to xp if vista is stable enough and bibleworks vista patch will work well....
anyone knows when will bibleworks team going release a bibleworks installer for vista???

I don't think the problem is with BW or the Vista Patch. It seems to be with the Vista OS itself. Note some of the earlier posts indicating serious file system problems with Vista, and that in the opinion of some, it is not even properly ready for commericial release yet. This is something being said by a wide spectrum of programmers and developers - not just the BibleWorks staff. The fact that a major hardware vendor like Dell has now gone back to offering XP on many of their new systems speaks pretty loudly about the problems with Vista, and the public demand for continued XP availability. A patch from BibleWorks can only go so far. It can't fix problems within the Vista architecture itself.

In short, I wouldn't be waiting for a different BW patch, but for a solid Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack to come out which will address some of the inherent flaws of the OS. Until then, stick with XP!!

MBushell
04-25-2007, 06:41 PM
We don't plan on a new CD set with a Vista installer until the end of the summer. That will not change anything however. The current installer followed by an application of the Vista patch accomplishes the same thing. We are aware that there are speed and stability problems under Vista for some people. We have fixed any problems that were reproducible and over which we had control. Users should be aware that Vista places severe stresses on older systems. If you are having speed problems go to the Control Panel and select System. Let us know what the Windows Experience Index is. This could explain slow loading. Also, BW opens and closes a lot of files on startup and if your disk is badly fragmented it could make a big difference. The bottom line though is that Vista is not ready for commercial use. Until Microsoft fixes a long list of outstanding and serious bugs, there is not a lot we can do. We tried to warn people when Vista was released. The warnings are still valid.

For what it is worth we do all development under Vista now and BW works just fine, with the caveat that there are still some security issues that prevent BW from interacting seamlesswith other programs, and the further caveat that disk perormance can degrage suddenly and without any obvious reason. If you don't have Vista we strongly recommend staying with XP until you have no choice. There is very little in Vista that for most people is more than eye candy.

Mike

Columcille
04-29-2007, 07:29 AM
I'd have to agree - stay away from Vista until SP1. As for BibleWorks, I've had no problems running it since the patch came out, but I have had numerous problems with Vista. I've been running it since their first public beta so I knew what I was getting into, but it's still got me annoyed. It seems no matter how hard I try to like Microsoft, they are working just as hard to make me not like them. :) Stick with XP for now, install the Google Toolbar for desktop search, and you'll be good to go.

Arimatea
07-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I installed BW7 on Vista Home, but it did not work, even not by using the Vista Fix. The problem is that i can not remove BW of my computer or re-instal. Any suggestions how to fix this problem? :)

Lane Douglas
07-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Arimatea...

It's hard to give you a solution without knowing all the specs of your computer. Un-installing a program should be as simple as going through the Control Panel and then using the Add/Remove Programs feature. This really hasn't changed much since XP.

If you are unable to un-install the program under this venue, my immediate question would be to ask whether you have Administrator privileges to the computer you are working on. If not, that could be an issue.

Here are a few recommendations:

1.) Make sure you are starting with a clean install of Vista. I've read everyone else's complaints about how bad Vista is and I have no idea what they are talking about. Vista has run great for me from it's inception. My guess is that the people having issues have done one of two things wrong: (A) they have ignored the hardware requirements for the OS, or (B) they did an upgrade over XP despite Microsoft's recommendations to do a clean install. I'd recommend re-installing Vista from scratch. Do a BOOT from the CD, choose to do a new install, delete the current partition information, create a new one, and install Vista on that. (BEWARE: This re-formats your hard drive essentially so backup whatever you need first.)

2.) Follow the BW instructions VERY carefully. I botched it the first time and had to start over. Install BW on your machine BUT DO NOT START THE PROGRAM. Install the patch first. NOW start the program. Should run fine.

Sorry if this does not help.

Lane

redlabour
07-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi,

i have installed BW7 today for the first Time and patched it after Installation before the first Start as described.

Vista Ultimate 64bit

After the first attempt BW tells me that there is no bw700.exe. Starting the Patch again it found the File but then it cant acces several other BW Files.

After Rebooting Vista it tells me again that there is no bw700.exe but i can see it at the Explorer.

Starting directly from Explorer with and without Admin there is still no success.

redlabour
07-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Want to reinstall it today - but uninstalling is impossible. *argh*

Any Suggestions?

Bill Moore
07-27-2007, 04:49 AM
Hi,

i have installed BW7 today for the first Time and patched it after Installation before the first Start as described.

Vista Ultimate 64bit

After the first attempt BW tells me that there is no bw700.exe. Starting the Patch again it found the File but then it cant acces several other BW Files.

After Rebooting Vista it tells me again that there is no bw700.exe but i can see it at the Explorer.

Starting directly from Explorer with and without Admin there is still no success.

I've run BW7 on 32-bit Vista Home Premium since February with few problems. Because of a problem I was having with the popup copy box, I uninstalled and reinstalled BW the other day with no problem.

SCSaunders
08-08-2007, 09:36 AM
I don't know if this will help VISTA folks, but I had to install BW7 on my new laptop this way Hard Drive Temporary Folder (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2177).

Maybe it will work for ya.

youth_guy_68
09-02-2007, 01:39 PM
I have Vista Home Premium - and followed instructions on my installation of BW7 on my laptop - and have had no problems at all. No problems with Vista or BW7. (knock on wood) Have been running smoothly for several months now. I update very regularly - perhaps that helps?

MBushell
09-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Make sure that you have the latest Vista patch, especially if you are on a non-English version of the OS. It was changed about a month ago to fix problems with German versions of Vista.

FYI all the patch does is change permissions on the BW folder so that the users can read AND write to the folder, and it also updates the executable. If you are saavy both of these things can be done manually. For some reason (supposedly security) Microsoft decided to prohibit applications from writing to their own folder in "Program Files". This is the main thing that has to be fixed.

Mike

MBushell
09-17-2007, 09:10 AM
We plan on a new set of CDs with a Vista-aware installer within the next 2 months. In the mean time the Vista patch, especially the latest one a month ago, seems to work fine for most people. Rumor has it that Service Pack 1 for Vista will be out in January, but I have no idea if it will help the wide spread problems. We do development under Vista and it works fine except for some annoying file problems (like taking 10 minutes to copy a small file). We run with UAC (User authorization control) turned off and recommend that unless you are in a business environment that prevents doing this. I think UAC was aimed at corporate customers anyway (which drives everything Microsoft does) not indivdual home users.

Mike

Steve Watkins
09-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Some people have also recommended turning off the Remote Differential Compression feature, which they say addresses the problem of taking an inordinate amount of time to copy files. Supposedly this feature attempts to "estimate" file transfer times more accurately prior to actually moving data, and may actually slow the transfer itself way down.

Clivepic
01-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Not sure who's out there who has tried running Bibleworks 6 [which I use now] on Vista 64 bit programme. If so does it work and do you need some kind of complicated workaround? Need to know as I am about to upgrade my system to high end spec for photography.

Hope there is someone out there who might have an answer.

Best Wishes

Clivepic

Tito
02-29-2008, 12:01 AM
On a new install of Vista on a machine that can easily run it, have followed the instructions to the letter multiple times - and variations on them as well - but cannot get Bibleworks to open.

After applying the Vista Patch and then the latest exe version upgrade it just shows me the splash screen (with the latest version number) and then hangs:
A Microsoft windows window comes on telling me:

BibleWorks 7.0 has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available....

That's it.

Have wasted a week already trying to install, uninstalling, reinstalling... can't affort more time... Can anyone offer me any help? Maybe it is one of the dlls that has to be re-registered...No idea.

Adelphos
02-29-2008, 07:39 PM
...Have wasted a week already trying to install, uninstalling, reinstalling... can't affort more time... Can anyone offer me any help? Maybe it is one of the dlls that has to be re-registered...No idea.

Tito, I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I hope those who are using Vista and who might know what's going on will chime in. I can't imagine a computer without BibleWorks!

But let's all nevertheless give a big HOORAY to MS for Vista!

I mean, after all, Homeland Security, NSA, CIA, China, Echelon, and a bunch of other "entities" sure do like it! :cool:

Bill Moore
03-01-2008, 08:51 AM
If I understood how to solve the problem, I would be more than happy to help. I just don't understand why it isn't working. I don't see how it's a Vista issue because I've been running BW7 on Vista Home Premium for a year with only a minor issue that's been resolved.

Perhaps if you provide what version of Vista are you using, that may give someone a clue. 32-bit or 64-bit? Home Basic or Home Premium? Ultimate? What are your computer specs? How much RAM do you have?

There's little more frustrating than spending money on computers and software and their not meshing. Hope you get an answer soon.

Bill

gelavalon
03-01-2008, 09:02 AM
On a new install of Vista on a machine that can easily run it, have followed the instructions to the letter multiple times - and variations on them as well - but cannot get Bibleworks to open.

After applying the Vista Patch and then the latest exe version upgrade it just shows me the splash screen (with the latest version number) and then hangs:
A Microsoft windows window comes on telling me:

BibleWorks 7.0 has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available....

That's it.

Have wasted a week already trying to install, uninstalling, reinstalling... can't affort more time... Can anyone offer me any help? Maybe it is one of the dlls that has to be re-registered...No idea.

Tito: I'm having the same problem. I have a Vista equipped laptop that BW7 is working fine on for a year. I have an HP with Vista 32bit Home Premium that had BW7 working fine until I had to do a system recovery on due to other issues with Vista. Now I get the same results as you. I've just redone another system recovery and have the same results with BW7. I can only get BW7 to start up if I delete the BW ini file. This isn't an answer; you're just not alone.

Bill Moore
03-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Tito: I'm having the same problem. I have a Vista equipped laptop that BW7 is working fine on for a year. I have an HP with Vista 32bit Home Premium that had BW7 working fine until I had to do a system recovery on due to other issues with Vista. Now I get the same results as you. I've just redone another system recovery and have the same results with BW7. I can only get BW7 to start up if I delete the BW ini file. This isn't an answer; you're just not alone.

Gary,

Did you reinstall BW7 or just do the system recovery. Obviously, something in the system recovery failed to replicate everything when BW was working well. Weird.

Bill

gelavalon
03-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Bill: I did a complete restore; did not load any other programs. I loaded BW, did not open, loaded the patch, and then opened the program. It will open the first time, but not after that unless I delete the ini file. I'm just not sure where the hang up is. Thanks

MBushell
03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi Clive,

If you are comfortable doing it, one thing you can try is right clicking on the BW directory in Windows Explorer, then choose Properties and then Security. Make sure you have read-write-modify permissions for the that directory. If not, then set them.

You can also contact BibleWorks Tech support at service@bibleworks.com or call at (757) 627-7100. We have a new installation CD set that is Vista specific but I don't believe is is back yet from the company that does our reproduction. That might fix it. But it would not really do anything more than set directory permissions. In any case I encourage you to contact the tech support guys. They'll get you going one way or another.

Mike

MBushell
03-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Clive,
One more thing. Start BW with the SHIFT key depressed. When the options window pops up check the options to delete BOTH the ini file and the context files, then choose the option to start BW with those changes. That might help.
Mike