PDA

View Full Version : Including Porter's Idioms

Gontroppo
01-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Any chance of including Porter's Idioms, now soon to be available in Logos, please?

Michael Hanel
01-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Any chance of including Porter's Idioms, now soon to be available in Logos, please?

Porter is okay, but wouldn't be highest on my list. I still think adding a big one like Smyth's Greek Grammar would be a solid addition because of its breadth. Smyth usually gets forgotten because people think it's just a "classical" grammar, but it is quite the tome and shouldn't be left by the way side.

The Moulton four-volume set is okay, but I think it probably costs more than it is worth. I use it semi-frequently at the library, but I have not yet decided it was worth the investment for my own use.

I guess it comes down to what types of grammars you're looking for and what you feel BW is missing. Porter is still new enough that he's not cited very often, whether that says something about his value or not is, I suppose, an individual question.

Dan Phillips
01-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Hadn't heard of it. How does it compare with Moule?

Michael Hanel
01-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Hadn't heard of it. How does it compare with Moule?

To which are you referring? Porter is much more concise. It is marketed as an intermediate grammar, but it has considerably less material than say Wallace. It has name recognition and it spells out Porter's take on verbal aspect to some extent, but nothing but a drop in an ocean compared to his big book on it. Smyth is much more encyclopedic. You can see a glimpse of it on Perseus (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0007).