PDA

View Full Version : Searching within results

WPGadsby
01-22-2007, 04:18 AM
Dear List,
I have a newbie question.
If I generate a list of verses doing a search, say, for two Greek lemmas, can I then search WITHIN that list of verses for the occurrences of particular words in another version? (Eg. I generate a list of all verses containing both epi and basileia, then want to search within that list of verses in NAU for the word "above.")
Anybody willing to help out a new chum?
Peter G
NSW, Australia

Michael Hanel
01-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Dear List,
I have a newbie question.
If I generate a list of verses doing a search, say, for two Greek lemmas, can I then search WITHIN that list of verses for the occurrences of particular words in another version? (Eg. I generate a list of all verses containing both epi and basileia, then want to search within that list of verses in NAU for the word "above.")
Anybody willing to help out a new chum?
Peter G
NSW, Australia

There are probably a couple of ways to do it. I can describe one.

First I selected BGM as the search version and searched for ".epi basileia" Then type in NAU in the command line again (by doing this you will lose all verses in the apocrypha that contain "epi basileia" because the NAU doesn't contain the apocryphal books.)
Then I opened the Verse List Manager (either from the Tools menu or from the icon on the bar).
In the Verse List Manager I selected Import: Entire Search Window
Now, open NAU and search for ".above"
Back to the Verse List Manager, make sure you click on the Secondary Window and then go again to Import: Entire Search Window.
Then I would probably go to the Selection menu and choose Select Verses Not Common to Both lists and finally in the Edit Menu, Delete Selected.

As a result I get 2 Kings 19:15 and Isa 37:16 as the two verses in the NAU which contain the word "above" and in which verses the Greek text also has the words "epi basileia"

That's one way of doing it. I am sure there might be others.

Glenn Weaver
01-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Here is another way to do the search. Search on both words using the BGM, then save the search results as a verse list. (You can use the Verse List Manager to do that, or choose File | Save Verse List to File.)

Then change your search version to NAU, and open the Graphical Search Engine. Double-click on the word box, and under Search Method choose the radio button for Verse list from disk, and select your verse list. This specifies that the search will only look in the verses contained in the verse list. Click OK to close the window.

Add a second word box and connect the word box to the merge box. Add your search word in the second word box, then run the search.

There are times where the approach using the Verse List Manager is what you need, and other times where the GSE approach works better. The GSE approach shows the highlighted search hits, while the VLM approach does not. But the VLM approach allows you to easily combine a number of search result lists.

Now that I have explained how to do that, the easiest way is probably to use the GSE with two BGM word boxes and 1 NAU word box in the same search. This will give you every verse that contains the Greek words plus the English word. This eliminates the second search step.

Glenn