PDA

View Full Version : Compiling a Greek vocab list by freqency and cannonical order

aaylnx
12-15-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm using BW 6 and I want to search a particular Greek NT book and create a list of Greek words that occur 10 times or less in the New Testament.

I am able to create a list ordered by frequency for particular books, but I can only stipulate the frequency for that book. In other words, I'm able to do a search on Matthew for words that occur 10 times or less, but only for those that occur 10 times or less in Matthew. I want to search Matthew for the words that occur 10 times or less in the entire Greek NT. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Adam

MGVH
12-15-2006, 04:32 PM
You can do the task fairly easily using Word List Manager.
Open Word List, and in the Main window, Generate Word List
Use BNM, Load words from a Bible version, use Mat 1:1 - Rev 22:21 as the range > Create list
This will create the list of words and their frequency in the whole NT. Click once on the first one (o at 19863 times), scroll down until you find the last word used 11 times (pseudoprofhths) and shift-click on it. This will highlight all the words used 11 or more times in the NT. Now use Edit > Delete Selected. Now you have a list of all the words 10 or less times in whole NT.

Now in Secondary List, Generate Word List
Use BNM, Load words from a Bible version, use Mat 1:1 - Mat 28:20 as the range > Create List
Now you have a list of all the words used in Matthew (and their frequency in Matthew, but that is not your interest)

Now click on Select > Select Words common to both lists

In your secondary window, you will now have highlighted all the words in Matthew that are used 10x or less in the NT.
Click on Select > Invert Selection
Click on Edit > Delete Selected

I end up with 810 words in Matthew used 10x or less in NT.

aaylnx
12-15-2006, 05:14 PM
I end up with 810 words in Matthew used 10x or less in NT.

Mark,

This is fantastic. Thanks so much for the reply. I get the same results, but it is worth noting that I needed to deselect "Keep morph codes" from "Other Options" which BW automatically selects for me when I try to generate a word list using the word list manager. If I don't do this, then I end up with many more words than the 810 you found. If you're using BW 7, maybe "Keep morph codes" isn't automatically selected.

Thanks again,

Adam York

aaylnx
12-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Mark (or anyone else),

One final question. Do you know of any way to take this final list of 810 words and then reorder them by their order of occurrence in Matthew? I don't see any way to resort the words by the order of their occurrence in the final list.

Thanks,

Adam York