PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help

Noops
12-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to creating custom modules and ran into the following error: "Could not find a properly coded bw.js file."

The error pops up when I hit the "Tag and Build Index" button in the "Create Module Index" window.

Anyone have any idea what this is all about?

Noops

Noops
12-16-2006, 11:44 AM
If anyone is interested, here's the answer to my question.

Apparently in order to tag the .htm files, one needs to have the bwjs.js file (included in the "Sample Help" folder in the BW directory) in the same directory as your .htm files.

The error I ran into ("Could not find a properly coded bw.js file.") should have read "Could not find a properly coded bwjs.js file". That's the first point of confusion.

The second, and this is especially misleading, is found in the "47 Custom Modules" file of the online help contents. Here's the process they outline for building a custom module in BW7:

1. Create your HTML files. Add <title> tags. Name your files for proper alphabetical order, and save your files in one folder, using .htm extension as the file name extension. Save all graphics or audiovisual files to be included in your custom module in the folder with your HTML files. Save a copy of your HTML files in a backup folder in a different directory.
2. Use the Build Module Index Tool to tag the Scripture references and create the Scripture index. Add the two lines of code to each of your tagged HTML files.
3. Modify the Project file template for your custom module. Save your Project file in your HTML file folder. Copy the "bwjs.js" file to your HTML file folder.
4. Modify the Table of Contents file template for your custom module. Save your Table of Contents file in your HTML file folder.
5. Use HTML Help Workshop to compile your custom HTML Help module.
6. Modify the CHD file template for your custom module.
7. Copy your compiled HTML Help file, CHD file, and SDX index file to the BibleWorks database directory. Restart BibleWorks.

Notice step 2 has you tagging your .htm files BEFORE you copy the bwjs.js file into the same directory with the HTML files you are trying to integrate into BW.

Don't do that. If you copy the bwjs.js file into the same directory as your HTML files before you try to tag them with the "Build Module Index" tool, you won't get the error I got.

Maybe this is common wisdom among the BW community, but it's not for this newbie. Hope this helps someone else.

Blessings,
Noops

Noops
12-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the help, pasquale. I'll check out the chm compiler/decompiler you mentioned.

Your offer to compile some of my html files is most generous, but for now, I think I'm on the right track again. I'll let you know if I get stuck again.

By the way, your English is much better than my Italian(?);)

Many blessings,
noops