PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew search problem

Larry
12-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I have BW5 (Yes, I know ... old). I am trying to use the ASE to do a search for the word minchah (from Gen 4:3) and the words "sin offering" in the NAU. However, the search tells me that minchah (cut and pasted) is not found in the OT.

When I try to search just for minchah from the command line, the "." gives me a capital A with a circumflex on it. So I can't even search for a Hebrew word from there.

Any help?

Dale A. Brueggemann
12-14-2006, 05:51 AM
Maybe you could use the strong's numbers. The Strong's number for minchah is 04503; here's some examples of Strong's searches for analogy:

§.man@444 will find all verses where "man" is used to translate "a;nqrwpoj".
§.man@!444 will find verses containing "man" when it does not translate "a;nqrwpoj".
§.!man@444 will find occurrences of "a;nqrwpoj" that have not been translated as "man" (e.g., any, anyone, child, enemy, everyone, fellow, friend, human, etc.).
§.man@- will find all the untagged occurrences of "man".
§.man@* will find all occurrences of "man" tagged with any Strong’s number.
§.*@444 will find all the different English words used to translate "a;nqrwpoj" (e.g., man, men, people, man's, human, mankind, others, etc.).
§.*@[1234567890]* will find all the words tagged with some Strong’s number.
§.*@- will find all the untagged words.
§.*@444 *@435 will find all verses with "a;nqrwpoj" AND "avnh,r".
§/*@444 *@435 will find all verses with "a;nqrwpoj" OR "avnh,r" (or both).
§(/*@444 *@435).!(.*@444 *@435) will find all verses with "a;nqrwpoj" OR "avnh,r" (but not both). Note that this is a XOR (exclusive OR) search.
§'lord of *@06635 (i.e., lord of hosts), will find all occurrences of the phrase "tAab'c. hw"hy>".
§'*@03068 of *@06635 (same as above) will also find all occurrences of the phrase "tAab'c. hw"hy>". But note that this search will find more verses because the English versions sometimes translate the Hebrew as "God of hosts". In other words, Strong’s number 03068 is translated as "lord", "lord’s", "god", "Jehovah", etc.

Looks like you might be wanting 'sin offering*@04503. However, you're unlikely to get any results, since the minchah isn't a sin offering; on the other hand 'grain offer*@04503 is likely to give you some results, or 'meal offer*@04503

Larry
12-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks Dale

I never thought of doing it with Strong's.

I am sure that minchah isn't translated as sin offering, but I am doing some study on offerings and sacrifices and trying to put all the pieces together. Plus, I am trying to figure out how to use the ASE better. I have never used it much.

Unfortunately, using Strong's won't help me accomplish that ...

Mark Eddy
12-14-2006, 04:15 PM
If you right click on the Hebrew minchah in the results window and choose "search on lemma" the word should appear on the command line. I believe (if I remember back to version 5) that if you now open the ASE you should have the word minchah in a WTM box. Now you can open another word box (W icon) and change it to your English version and type in the string "sin offering". Then you'll have to connect your new box to the "And" box which should be at the top of the ASE window.
I don't remember if BW5 allowed strings in a word box, or if you would have to make two separate word boxes for the words "sin" and "offering". In any case, this should narrow down your search for you.
I hope this helps.
Mark Eddy

Charlie
12-15-2006, 09:37 AM
When I try to search...from the command line, the "." gives me a capital A with a circumflex on it. So I can't even search for a Hebrew word from there.
Any help?

If you see Å, Æ, or ¾ on the Command Line when you type a period, forward slash, or apostrophe, you have the Command Line in what is called "Reveal Text Mode." You can toggle this mode on and off with your PageDown key on your keyboard. Thankfully that keyboard short cut was removed in BibleWorks 7.

Mark's response above is all you need regarding searches. The copy and paste method you were trying didn't work because you were copying both consonants and vowels, but by default vowel-point-sensitive searching is turned off.

I hope that helps.

Larry
12-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks all. I solved the problem with a restart, so perhaps it was what Charlie mentioned.

In BW5, there is no "search on lemma" function that I can find in right click. There is a "search on root," which doesn't put the word in the command line, or an "append to command line" which does put the word in the command line.