PDA

View Full Version : Where Greek Conjunction de=Waw+patach

Jonhenry
12-12-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to match all the instances where the Greek particle conjunction de has been used to translate waw+patach (in general, looking for the waw-consecutive, or whatever you prefer to call it). I tried using the parallel BHS/LXX tool, but alas, I cannot get a vowel-point sensitive search to run on it. I ended up with 2244 instances of all sorts.

Is there another way to find what I'm looking for? (I'm sure there must be.)

Thanks!

Jon Henry

Mark Eddy
12-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Your query is perfect for the Graphic Search Engine. Be sure that you have checked the "General Hebrew Option" called "Search on Hebrew versions is vowel point sensitive". You'll find it by clickiing on the wrench icon and looking in the "Option Flags" tab.
With WTT as the search version type on the command line .*w: then click on the "common search utilities" icon to the right of the command line, and choose "Graphic Search Engine." You should see two boxes with WTT as the search version. On the tool bar of the Graphic Search Engine click on the "W" button. It will open a third window. Click on the "Set Word Connect Mode" button (it shows two boxes being connected by a diagonal line). Then connect your new box to the "And" box at the top of the query. Then double click on the new box with an empty command line and at the top you'll find the "Version" line. Change the version by the drop-down list to BLM, and type de on "Word" line. Then click "OK" at the bottom, and click the green "go" button at the top of the Graphic Search Engine. You'll get a list of 1242 verses which contain both a waw consecutive in Hebrew and de in Greek. The problem then will be to see if the de translates the waw consecutive or some other word in the verse. There is no way automatically to come up with a list that simply has all the places where de translates the waw, because BW searches by verses, not by words, and word order in Greek and Hebrew aren't always the same anyway. But the list you get this way will supply you with plenty of instances of what you're seeking. You can export the list to the verse list manager and edit it to delete verses where the de doesn't translate the waw consecutive.
I hope this gives you some ideas.
In Christ,
Mark Eddy