PDA

View Full Version : When will Bibleworks support Mac?

countach
12-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Given that Bibleworks kinda sorta works with the Wine/Crossover library, when is Bibleworks going to support the Mac?

At the moment I've got bw6 working, but I can't get updates to work because of some stupid error message to do with lacking internet explorer (which I'm sure is bogus since bibleworks doesn't really rely on it).

Surely it wouldn't be an inordinate amount of work for Bibleworks LLC to take the Wine/Crossover libraries, figure out the minor glitches and put their stamp of approval on it? I realise test/release cycles are not trivial, but at least removing some of the worst sillyness like that above from the code would save a lot of Mac owners a lot of time and grief.

(BTW, don't tell me to run parallels or something, that's not a road I want to go down.)

Dale A. Brueggemann
12-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Given that Bibleworks kinda sorta works with the Wine/Crossover library, when is Bibleworks going to support the Mac?

I think BibleWorks has answered this before, indicating that they do not want to compete with their good friends at Accordance--and perhaps vice versa. So I think the answer is, not gonna happen.

At the moment I've got bw6 working, but I can't get updates to work because of some stupid error message to do with lacking internet explorer (which I'm sure is bogus since bibleworks doesn't really rely on it).

Actually BW does rely on Explorer. Some of the files are HTML, e.g., Waltke-O'Conner Hebrew grammar, and so forth.

Columcille
12-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Internet Explorer provides an internet connection framework used by BibleWorks (and many other programs) to connect to the internet. But you can install IE6 under Wine so you should be able to get it to work.

countach
12-09-2006, 05:48 AM
I think BibleWorks has answered this before, indicating that they do not want to compete with their good friends at Accordance--and perhaps vice versa. So I think the answer is, not gonna happen.

???

I'm a bibleworks customer already, but now using a Mac, bibleworks is crippleware.

Actually BW does rely on Explorer. Some of the files are HTML, e.g., Waltke-O'Conner Hebrew grammar, and so forth.It shouldn't be using it for downloading updates.

countach
12-09-2006, 05:49 AM
Internet Explorer provides an internet connection framework used by BibleWorks (and many other programs) to connect to the internet.

Speaking as a computer programmer, that sounds like baloney.

But you can install IE6 under Wine so you should be able to get it to work.

I can't get it to install or to work.

Columcille
12-13-2006, 06:45 AM
Speaking as a computer programmer, that sounds like baloney.

Speaking as a computer programmer, it's not. This is one reason (though not the only) you cannot uninstall IE from Windows, methods included in IE are shared throughout the OS. I've not dug into the API so I don't know just how much is contained in IE, but I know it handles quite a bit (my assumption is that at the least the HTTP protocol is accessed solely through IE methods, other protocols may be as well). And when I play with Linux and want to install BibleWorks under Wine, one thing I have to install is ie6 in order to get BibleWorks to load updates. I'll try and look up the other necessary items, there were several things that were needed. But ie6's purpose in all of that is to provide a basic internet connection framework.