PDA

View Full Version : BGT Septuagint

MBD
11-28-2006, 06:46 PM
I am teaching a graduate course on the minor prophets; almost all my students use BW 6; since we are concentrating on text criticism, most print out the BW versions of our passage in BGT, Vulg, WTT, and TAR. I generally prepare the Greek using J. Ziegler's Critical Edition of Duodecim Prophetae. To my surprise, when I discussed a passage recently in class from the LXX, the students did not know what I was talking about. Then I realized that very frequently the BW BGT varies from the critical edition represented by Ziegler. Where is BW getting its BGT text? It is not Rahlfs, which is an option, so what is the source of the BGT?
Michael Dick

Michael Hanel
11-28-2006, 07:04 PM
I am teaching a graduate course on the minor prophets; almost all my students use BW 6; since we are concentrating on text criticism, most print out the BW versions of our passage in BGT, Vulg, WTT, and TAR. I generally prepare the Greek using J. Ziegler's Critical Edition of Duodecim Prophetae. To my surprise, when I discussed a passage recently in class from the LXX, the students did not know what I was talking about. Then I realized that very frequently the BW BGT varies from the critical edition represented by Ziegler. Where is BW getting its BGT text? It is not Rahlfs, which is an option, so what is the source of the BGT?
Michael Dick

According to BW documentation (which is available by putting the mouse over the VERSION NAME and making sure the Word analysis window is open)

BGT

This database is a combination of the BNT and LXT databases. This allows people who want to work with both versions at once to easily do combined searches.

BNT - Novum Testamentum Graece, Nestle-Aland 27h Edition. Copyright (c) 1993 Deutsch Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart.

LXT - LXX Septuaginta (LXT) (Old Greek Jewish Scriptures) edited by Alfred Rahlfs, Copyright © 1935 by the Württembergische Bibelanstalt / Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft (German Bible Society), Stuttgart. Used by permission. The LXX MRT (machine readable text) was prepared by the TLG (Thesaurus Linguae Graecae) Project directed by Theodore F. Brünner at University of California, Irvine. Further verification and adaptation towards conformity with the individual Goettingen editions that have appeared since 1935 (9th Edition reprint in 1971) is in process by the CATSS Project, University of Pennsylvania.

The various LXX OT Apocryphal/Deutero-Canonical books are included. Now included are the substantial text variations and multiple text types (assuming Codex Vaticanus as standard) from the Theodotian revision, Codex Alexandrinus, and Codex Sinaiticus. But not yet included are the textual variants as encoded from the apparatuses of the best available editions (especially Goettingen, Cambridge), and reformatted for computer by the Philadelphia team of the in-process CATSS Project under the direction of R. Kraft.