PDA

View Full Version : Typing Unicode

MBD
11-26-2006, 07:37 AM
I have a few questions centered around the issue of typing unicode in a document (Word) or in BW 7 notes.

Let's try Word first, I usually type unicode (transliterated semitic languages ---Hebrew and Accadian) by doing INSERT SYMBOL. The glory of unicode is also its problem. There are so many characters! I often have to spend several minutes looking for my character. I do have a set of transliterated semitic fonts which makes that easier, but they are not unicode and some are proprietary. (If you ever want a GIGANTIC problem, use a proprietary font and then try to convert to a PDF or to send the document to somebody.) Can I make a subset of say the Arial Unicode fonts in Word so when I hit INSERT SYMBOL, only this subset would appear?

In BW 7 when I want to type a unicode semitic font into User Notes what do I do? What is the easies way to type semitic transltierated fonts into Notes?

Charlie
12-15-2006, 11:29 AM
You need to use a Unicode keyboard driver that allows easy access to the characters you wish to use. That will require you to understand a bit about Unicode and how it differs from the previous font standard. You can start by reading this FAQ (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610).

If you just want to type in transliterated Hebrew you can use the Bwtransh.ttf font that comes with BibleWorks and is used to display the BHT transliterated Hebrew text. Here is Gen 1:1 in this non-Unicode font:

BHT Gnesis 1:1 Br봚t Br lhm t hamayim wt hrec

If this font is installed on your system the verse above should look like this screenshot:

Andrew Fincke
12-15-2006, 02:29 PM
I installed BibleWorks 7 and am unable to unlock QEM, which I had with BibleWorks 6. I keep getting a message that I have mistyped the number, althought he system knows I have the module. Further, I want to reduce the number of windows to three: a results window, a display window (WTT on top of LXT on top of Targum) and a small window at bottom left for word definitions. Also a small pane at bottom right - the command line. I want no English or English helps. How do I do that? How do I install the Israeli keyboard?
Andrew

Andrew Fincke
12-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Dear Mike,
I just selected Hebrew text and tried to paste it into my Word document. It came out backwards. That is, after the word-wrap, the wrong clause appeared at the right of the next line. The continuation of the first line was left-justified, it's continuation was in line 3, and the continuation of that was in line two at the right. I'm going to order Logos and return BW7.
Andrew Fincke

Philip Brown
12-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi, Andrew,

1. If you have a question that is not directly relevant to a given thread, start a new topic. In this thread, you asked quite a number of questions that have nothing to do with typing unicode.

2. If you just installed BW 7 and expected it to work like BW 6, you are setting yourself up for a lot of frustration. BW 7 has significant interface changes, concerning which most of us old timers squawked about initially and have since come to appreciate. However, the few who did not become 7 interface users found that it is possible to mimic a BW 6 configuration.

3. Read the help and watch the videos. The provided help is extensive and documents virtually every feature of the program.

Regarding some of your specifics ...
No English texts or helps ... on the command line type d c wtt lxt and the abbreviation for whatever targum you want to use.

Version display order is controlled by View | Version Display Order

Work with View | Screen Layout to achieve the type of screen layout you desire.

Blessings