PDA

View Full Version : Problem Copying text.

boeinguy2
11-14-2006, 11:43 AM
I have a problem copying text. Usually it affects copying to Word, from NAU. It occurs in two forms.

The first is that I will copy a passage, the first verse copies , the rest will be Genesis 1:1 repeated.

The second is that at least one verse will repeat. Such as copying I Peter 3:13-22, with the result that Vs 15 appears twice, but not verse 16, the rest of the verses are okay.

The problem cannot be repeated from one session to the next, it appears to be random.

I use Bibleworks 6.0.:confused:

Mark Eddy
11-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't think your problem is random. It may have something to do with the verse mapping files. In your example, 1Pe 3:15 in some versions contains the words "in meekness and in fear" while in other versions these words are in verse 16. So if you are trying to copy multiple versions, some of them will copy the first mapped verse twice and skip the second (I think, though I don't have 6.0 any more). If you copy each version individually, you shouldn't ever have this problem. I don't know if this is fixable or not.
Mark Eddy

boeinguy2
11-16-2006, 04:58 PM
It seems that I may have seen it when copying multiple versions. However, I usually copy NAU, such as the I Peter example. I would not see this 'Cross venue' chest within a version would I?

Mark Eddy
11-17-2006, 10:55 PM
If your search version and display versions are different, it may add to your problem. But I'm not using 6.0 any more, so I can't try it out.
Mark Eddy

Andrew Fincke
11-18-2006, 12:46 PM
I am at SBL and trying to decide whether to upgrade from BibleWorks 6 to Bibleworks 7. In Bibleworks 6 Hebrew text copied does not integrate correctly, wrap correctly. Is the problem solved in Bibleworks 7?
Andrew Fincke

Michael Hanel
11-18-2006, 05:53 PM
I am at SBL and trying to decide whether to upgrade from BibleWorks 6 to Bibleworks 7. In Bibleworks 6 Hebrew text copied does not integrate correctly, wrap correctly. Is the problem solved in Bibleworks 7?
Andrew Fincke

If you're at SBL go to the BibleWorks booth and ask for a demonstration!

Mark Eddy
11-18-2006, 05:53 PM
If you can describe your problem copying Hebrew text into Word and then define "correctly" we might be able to answer your question. I just copied an entire Hebrew verse from BW into the middle of a line of English text in Word, and the Hebrew text finishes the English line and put the two last words of the verse onto the next line, which is the way Hebrew text displays in lexicons. So that's "correct" from my perspective.
Mark Eddy

Andrew Fincke
11-19-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm at SBL in Washington and want to know if there are problems with copying Hebrew text from Bible Works 7 into a Word 2003 document. The exhibitors have Bible Works 7 (of course!) and Word 2000. When copying Hebrew text into a Word 2000 document the wrapping is incorrect. Word 2003 is an improvement over Word 2000, and I want to know if the interface with BibleWorks is better. Also, can you enter Hebrew text in BibleWorks 7 using an Israeli Hebrew keyboard?
Andrew

Andrew Fincke
11-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Dear Mark,
I didn't see your reply when I posted the most recent message. It sounds correct as you describe it. However, after the last two words on the second line, where does the continuation in English come? Hopefully at the beginning (left) of the line, in which the two Hebrew words are at the right end - assuming the continuation in English is longer than a line. Also (less important), how does the screen presentation compare to the printout? That is, is the correct line-spacing maintained 1) on the screen? 2) (more important) on the print output? Can you answer the question about the Israeli keyboard? In Word (and Logos) and Dagesh (Hebrew word procesor) the Israeli keyboard is standard.
Andrew

Mark Eddy
11-20-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm using Word 2003 on my laptop, and just to show you how Hebrew copies I inserted the first part of Exodus 13:17 in single spaced English verses of Isaiah 64. Here's how it looks:
8 And now, O LORD, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You are our potter; and all of us are the work of Your hand. #r<a, %r<D< ~yhil{a/ ~x'n"-al{w> ~['h'-ta, h[or>P; xL;v;B. yhiy>w: ~yTiv.liP. 9 Do not be exceedingly angry, O LORD, and do not remember iniquity forever. Indeed, please look; all of us are Your people!
I see a problem in that the first word of Exo 13:17 is yhiy>w: , which I would expect to be the farthest right word on the first line of Hebrew. For some reason ~yTiv.liP., which should follow #r<a, is placed ahead of it, and what should be the second line of Hebrew ended up on the first line. When I pasted the entire Hebrew verse there was a line break at the end, so I couldn't see where the next English verse would continue. In both cases the first line of Hebrew text displays as the second line after it is pasted into Word. If you show this to the BW guys at SBL I'm sure they can take it back to the programmers to look into it.
When I insert an entire Hebrew verse into an English paragraph, MS Word wants to make the entire paragraph right justified. If I switch it back to left justified, then it also left justifies the Hebrew, which I don't want.
I can get it to work correctly, but I have to cut and paste a few words first.
Concerning other Hebrew keyboards, I know that others have used an Israeli keyboard, but I have never tried it myself. So I can't say how well it works.
I don't print Hebrew very often. But it appears that what I see on the screen is what I get on paper.
I hope this helps.
Mark Eddy

MBushell
11-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Hi Andrew and Mark,

There are a lot of issues with copying Hebrew from BibleWorks and there may be issues which we need to address. I spoke with Andrew at SBL and if I understand his problem it has to do only with copying Unicode from BibleWorks to another application. There was indeed an issue of copying a single all-Hebrew phrase from the Analysis Window and inserting it in an English string of characters. I just posted a fix for this which I hope addresses the issue. Look for 7.0.015x or later.

The problem was that BibleWorks was adding a carriage return after the copied phrase, and Word interpreted this to mean that the phrase needed to go at the beginning of the current paragraph. The rules which Word follows for inserting RTL text into English text are complicated and I am still not clear about what Word will do in all circumstance. In any case with the update if you copy a pure Hebrew phrase from BibleWorks and paste it as Unicode into the middle of a Word English phrase, it should work properly, including wrapping. Please note that you MUST be sure that the source string is all Hebrew, inclusing no English text or carriage returns. In that case you will get the carriage return plus an extra one at the end, which is I think what people want most of the time.

Please note also that when copying Hebrew from BibleWorks in non-Unicode (the Bwhebb font) t Word, all bets are off. Word cannot wrap such text properly and the text will be treated just like English text. Mark's example was, I think, non-Unicode so it has limitations and may have to be cleaned up by the user after the transfer - and if you insert words befor the insterted phrase wrapping may mess up the Hebrew word order. For this reason if you export a lot of Hebrew to Word docs, unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise, use Unicode. I think the current executable works well with Unicode Hebrew (with the fix that I just made) but if there are remaining problems let me know and we will fix them. Very specific and detailed examples are always helpful.

Andrew, the Israeli keyboard is on our list and we'll get to it as soon as we can.

God bless,
Mike

MBushell
11-21-2006, 12:06 PM
The executable that I promised (15x) is ready but the company that we use to host our updates is not receiving uploads. The post should appear as soon as they get the problem fixed.

Thanks,
Mike

MBushell
11-21-2006, 07:13 PM
It seems that I may have seen it when copying multiple versions. However, I usually copy NAU, such as the I Peter example. I would not see this 'Cross venue' chest within a version would I?

Do you have the latest updates? We fixed a problem like this some time ago.

Mike