PDA

View Full Version : Making a vocab list for a NT book?

Whitefort
10-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Hi.

I suspect that BW7 can probably do this, but I'm not sure, and I certainly don't know how... but...

Suppose I want to make a word list for a particular NT book (say Galatians). I know BW can do this. But can I get it to make the list excluding any word that occurs more than, say, 30 times in the NT?

If this can be done, I'd appreciate any tips on how to go about it.

Many thanks,

John Scott

Adelphos
10-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Suppose I want to make a word list for a particular NT book (say Galatians). I know BW can do this. But can I get it to make the list excluding any word that occurs more than, say, 30 times in the NT?

Open the WLM (Word List Manager) -- Tools|Word List Manager

Click on Load Or Generate Word List

Type Gal in the Verse Range field.

In the Version list box select the Version you want, then click on Create List.

The results should be sorted by frequency by default. Now just select each word that occurs more than 30 times by clicking on each word. After you've selected all the words, choose Edit|Delete

Whitefort
10-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks, but that's not quite what I intended - this method (if I've understood you correctly) uses counts based entirely on the book selected - so yes, I can use it to remove words that occur more than 30 times in Galatians. But what I'm actually aiming to do is make a Galatians vocab list which excludes words occurring more than 30 times in the rest of the NT.

I thought perhaps BW have a means of doing this. It's not a big deal if it doesn't, but it would have been nice!

Thanks!

John

jfidel
10-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi John,

Go to tool/vocabulary flashcard module. In that module go to file/open and select gntvoc.vrc. You should have 5393 words in the left window.

Now go to tools/filter and check the following boxes:

Filter by frequencey range and in the box from 30 to 19863.

Next Includeonly words in this verse range and type Gal in the box.

Hit apply, close the dialog and you should have 237 words.

Does this get you what you want?

John Fidel

Whitefort
10-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks, John!

This method filtered out the words I wanted to include, but you've put me on the right path, and I'm very grateful.

If I follow your method, but setting the frequency filter at 1 - 30, this seems to give me every word in the book which occurs less than 30 times in the rest of the NT. I've just tried it with Philemon, and it appears to work very well.

The idea behind all this is as follows. My greek vocab pretty much includes all the words that occur 30 times or more in the NT, and I thought it would be helpful to make occasional word lists so that when I'm away from Bibleworks I could read from my (paper) Greek testament without having to look up the lexicon quite so often. This provides a fast and easy way to make and print such a list for any NT book.

I'm very grateful for your help (and I continue to be amazed at the power of this software!)

John Scott

euaggelion
10-30-2006, 11:52 AM
If you goto 'Study Guides' in the Help menu. Right at the bottom right there's an option of a help guide to 'Make a Lexicon for a Passage'. Within that study guide there's a vidoe which gives you all the info you need on how to use the wordlist manager to get words for one particular book and then to filter them based on data from the whole NT.

That should sort you out real good.

Whitefort
10-31-2006, 07:30 AM
Euaggelion,

Arg! - I can't believe I didn't see that. I glanced at the study guide page before posting my request, and somehow managed to miss it. :eek:

Time to get a new pair of glasses, I think!

Many thanks!

John

euaggelion
11-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi John,

you've probably done all you wanted to by now,
but I've just discovered the Vocab List function at www.zhubert.com (http://www.zhubert.com)
you select the book or passage and it gives you a multitude of different options for wordlists based on frequence.

Simon P.