PDA

View Full Version : Augustine's Works Module by Pasquale

jdarlack
10-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Pasquale has put together a CHM module that contains the public domain text of Augustine's works as found on the Christian Classics Ethereal Library (http://www.ccel.org) site. The module is tagged to work with BibleWorks, so that if the editor cites any verse of Scripture, a link will be displayed in your Resource Summary Window. All of the following texts are included: Volume I. Prolegomena: St. Augustine's Life and Work, Confessions, Letters Volume II. The City of God, Christian Doctrine Volume III. On the Holy Trinity, Doctrinal Treatises, Moral Treatises Volume IV. The Anti-Manichaean Writings, The Anti-Donatist Writings Volume V. Anti-Pelagian Writings Volume VI. Sermon on the Mount, Harmony of the Gospels, Homilies on the Gospels Volume VII. Homilies on the Gospel of John, Homilies on the First Epistle of John, Soliloquies Volume VIII. Expositions on the PsalmsDownload Augustine's Works for BibleWorks! (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/module/augustine.zip) (18.6 MB)

Adelphos
10-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Pasquale has put together a CHM module that contains the public domain text of Augustine's works...

Simply outstanding!

I wonder if Pasquale knew he was PREDESTINATED to make Augustine's works available for BibleWorks? :cool:

Jonhenry
10-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all your hard work!

I'm not sure exactly how or when I will use Augustine's works in my line of work (not being a church historian), but I'm sure the time will come for a pithy quote (e.g. "As St. Augustine said it best centuries ago, '[insert quote that I found because the verses are hyperlinked],' and who can argue with that?").

Dale A. Brueggemann
10-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Pasquale has put together a CHM module that contains the public domain text of Augustine's works as found on the Christian Classics Ethereal Library (http://www.ccel.org) site.

This is fantastic, not only for its availablity within BW, but for its functionality with the Scripture links. Love it

MarkAllison
10-25-2006, 12:27 PM
I can't wait to use this module, but I'm a newbie and can't figure out where to place the individual files. Can anyone give me some help?

Thanks,

Mark Allison

Comet
10-25-2006, 01:15 PM
I believe you place these files the "databases" folder under your bibleworks installation folder. On windows it would be something like:

c:\program files\BibleWorks 7\databases

I also add my kudos. Very nice contribution!

BigJayOneill
10-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Simply outstanding!

I wonder if Pasquale knew he was PREDESTINATED to make Augustine's works available for BibleWorks? :cool:

That is some good theological humor!

dfborn
11-12-2006, 12:06 AM
I have been trying to using the Augustine's Works module and I am encountering an error. I downloaded the file and unzipped it to the "c:\program files\bibleworks 7\databases" folder; however, whenever I try to open the module it will not run properly. The module opens with the sidebar and menu correctly, but the text of the module is not displayed. It tells me that "navigation to the webpage was cancelled." Any tips?

Eric
11-12-2006, 02:42 AM
If you go to the files that you just unzipped and right-click on them and choose, "properties." At the bottom of the dialog you will probably see that windows blocked them because they came from another computer.. Just choose the box to unblock them and you should be set to go.

dfborn
11-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks Eric! The module works perfect now.

SWBradford
12-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Not following how this is added through the version compiler. Not working here. What am I doing wrong ?

SWBradford
12-14-2006, 08:41 PM
In Create Module Index, I get Could not find a properly coded bw.js file.

????

Christopher
12-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Greetings! I am excited that I could add this module to my new BW7. This is the first exegetical program I've owned, and I'm still in the early stages of learning how to utilize it. I've added the files for this module and can access it through the menu: "Resources: St. Augustine's Works" - but what I don't understand is how I can search it, as it doesn't appear in my versions list (at least that I can see). What if I wanted to search it for references to a particular Bible passage - how would I do that? :confused: Sorry for the newbie question...

Christopher
12-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Greetings! I am excited that I could add this module to my new BW7. This is the first exegetical program I've owned, and I'm still in the early stages of learning how to utilize it. I've added the files for this module and can access it through the menu: "Resources: St. Augustine's Works" - but what I don't understand is how I can search it, as it doesn't appear in my versions list (at least that I can see). What if I wanted to search it for references to a particular Bible passage - how would I do that? :confused: Sorry for the newbie question...

I think I've answered my own question, sort of: references show up in the summary window under "resource summary" on the right. I'd still like to know how to do it the other way, and get all the references to a verse range, if possible, so if anybody can tell me how to do that, I'd be obliged.

p4r
12-18-2006, 05:17 AM
This is an outsatanding contribution- thnak you!
Anyone fancy doing the same for Edwards? :D

Michael Hanel
12-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Who is Edwards and where are its works in Public Domain?

Thanks
Pasquale

Jonathan Edwards is an early American pastor/etc. I'm not sure of all his works, but I know some are on CCEL : http://www.ccel.org/e/edwards/

graham
12-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey guys, I'm still using BW6. How would I install this file, it's not a .ddf and .txt set up. thanks.

Bennett B. Wethered
12-19-2006, 02:05 PM
I love all these 'public domain' userdb add-ons. However, it may be that's been too long since I've downloaded and added one via the VDB, as I'm having trouble.

Having downloaded the whole file, going first to Program Files/BibleWorks 7/userdb, the zip file known as Augustine.zip is then unzipped, and takes up residence in Program Files/unzipped. When I go to install it by way of the VDF, the VDF box first asks for a DDF file, when I click Open, it opens the userdb file, and there is no Augustine.ddf file there. The Database Raw Text File, c:\unzipped\augustine\augustine_idx.txt, is there, and does what it's supposed to do. When I check the contents of the C:\unzipped\augustine file, I find it has augustine.chd, augustine.chm, augustine.sdx, and the aforementioned augustine_idx.txt, but no ddf file. I have taken Eric's suggestion, unblocking all of the above files. - However, I'm puzzled. The VDF seems to assume (I suppose rightly) that there should be a DDF file, so as to open and add the Augustine file in a usable way. Having fully downloaded the file, I don't seem to have a DDF file. Help! :confused: Please, brethren, show me what to do, or provide a 'fix.' ;)

Michael Hanel
12-19-2006, 02:18 PM
There are two types of user add on files. Jim Darlack is working on a post to explain this better on the BibleWorks blog. A quick review is this.

Versions ~ these are add ons that are run through the version database compiler. These contain a text file and ddf.

Help module add ons ~ these are HTML help files which have Scripture indices that can make their references show up in the Resource Summary window (very helpful!!). These files, the .chm, .chd and .sdx you copy or unzip directly into your BW\databases\ directory. The next time you start BW, they will be ready to be used.

graham
12-19-2006, 07:06 PM
so I've copied everything into the databases file folder, but nothing shows up in BW. I can click on the file in the folder and it will run, but again, no integration. Thanks for whatever help you can be.

Michael Hanel
12-19-2006, 07:22 PM
so I've copied everything into the databases file folder, but nothing shows up in BW. I can click on the file in the folder and it will run, but again, no integration. Thanks for whatever help you can be.

It's been a while, but I believe that is because BW6 does not support integration of these HTML Help Custom modules. You can use them outside the program because HTML help runs by itself, but they will not integrate into BW unless you're running BW7.

graham
12-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks so much Michael

Mark Eddy
12-23-2006, 06:01 PM
When I click on a reference from Augustine, the Internet Explorer tries to go online and find it there rather than on my computer. I'm sure the Augustine files are on my hard drive. Why would BW or IE think that I'm searching the internet? Is there a setting in BW or IE that I can change so that I can see the Augustine file on my computer and not try to go online?
Mark Eddy

Mark Eddy
11-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Actually in BibleWorks 9 you do not need the separate Augustine module. BW9 come with Schaff's "Early Church Fathers," which includes Augustine's writings. You will find it under "Resources" in the drop-down list for "Backgrounds."
Mark Eddy