PDA

View Full Version : concordance searches

Allen Minton
10-19-2006, 01:17 PM
is there a way to find the various Hebrew or Greek words translated into a particular English word within a particular version. EX: What Greek words are translated "suffer" in the KJV?
If there si a way, can anyone help me?

Allen

millenia05@earthlink.net
10-19-2006, 03:02 PM
This will not be as simple a solution as you would like but here it is.

With the KJV showing by the command line, type in ".suffer *" (minus the quotes). This will get you all the places where suffer is used and you will have to check each and or all to see what Strongs and or Hebrew/Greek is used. Note: with the Strongs number button on in the button bar you will not be able to get the Strongs numbers to highlight when you run the cursor over the word in question (suffer).

JohnB

Allen Minton
10-20-2006, 08:51 AM
You're right, it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks much for the help. If there is another way to just see the Hebrew/Greek words instead of all the places it is used I would sure like to know it. Thank you very much for your help.

Allen

hudsonhauck
01-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Logos has this feature, and I was looking for it in Bibleworks as well.

This is difficult because it requires a separate map for each word to indicate what was translated into this word. Something like a "Reverse Strong's Numbers." The Logos feature uses the ESV Reverse Interlinear Bible.

If you search by Strong's numbers you can find the different ways one Greek word is translated into English word. Greek --> English is possible by Strong's numbers.

To find English --> Greek, it would be different for every translation.

I think that this would be a great feature, too, though! I was just looking for this same information yesterday!

Mark Eddy
01-30-2007, 11:44 PM
What you are asking is virtually impossible, because even so-called "word-for-word" translations do not always translate a single Greek or Hebrew word with a single English word. Sometimes a word translates a phrase, or a phrase translates a word, or sometimes the translators just throw in a word to make better sense in the second language, but the word really has no basis in the original text. Then there is the problem that some words may have a precise meaning in one language but the word used to translate it might have a variety of meanings in its language.
To use your example, "suffer" in English might mean "feal pain" but in the KJV is also mean "allow" (as in "suffer the little children to come to me"). Of what use would it be to see that the Greek word from which this translation stems is totally different from a passage talking about "suffering death"?
You need to know more than just the raw Greek or Hebrew words that have been translated by "suffer" in English. You need the context, so that you know which kind of "suffering" was meant. And for that, you need the verse references to check them out.
Perhaps what would help you more is the Louw-Nida lexicon, which groups words by semantic domains, rather than by individual words. Then you can see synonyms in Greek (no corresponding work for Hebrew), which are translated by synonyms in English.
I'm curious why you just wanted the list of words? What use would you make of it?
God bless!
Mark Eddy