PDA

View Full Version : Making a list with Strong's #

Randy
10-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the work you fellows do. In reading the forum it is easy to see how often people need help. And this forum is quick to come to their aid. That takes a lot of work and patience. So, thank you all.

Is there any way to make a list of possible translations from a given English word. For example: If I do a general search on the word, "defile" in the KJV, BW will give me several hits. There might be several Strong's numbers in both Hebrew and Greek used to translate this word.

Is it possible to make a quick and easy list of the various renderings or even of the various Strong's numbers of a given English word without going down one at a time and stripping them out of a long list of search results? If there is an easy way to do this, it escapes me. Please can someone help?

Sincerely,
Randy Vaughn

Randy
10-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Since nobody has responded to my request, let me see if I can be more lucid.

I am looking for a way to do the opposite of what the WML does for a listing of a Strong's number search. If I search for <.*@####> I can take the results of that number and compile a list with WML of all the English words translated from that number.

I am looking for a way to take a given English word, e.g. <.defil*@*> and have the WML or some other BW feature to make a list of all the different Strong's numbers of that English word in any given English version. Basically then, WML will give me all the words of a given number. Can it give me all the numbers of a given word?

Thanks.

Michael Hanel
10-14-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm sorry I'm not more help, but I don't ever really use Strong's #'s. But I know it's been talked about in the past, so what you might want to try doing is searching the Forums (that's an option on the blue menu bar which is toward the top of the webpage in the forums)

Randy
10-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks Michael,

I found some helpful things in the history of the forum. It seems there is no way to do that yet. I don't always work with Strong's #s either. But I was trying to find a way to get a generally complete list of variations for a given English word. I thought Strong's might be the smoothest way to do it. However, some have said it is in the works, and I know I can always do it the hard way. Oh, well. BW is still a great program.

Randy.:)

Michael Hanel
10-15-2006, 04:12 PM
I do not know whether this will get you the info you're looking for, but you might want to try www.zhubert.com. I saw it has search feature by Strong's # and that might be helpful for you.

WBryant
10-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Randy
I am not exactly sure of your question. But if your question is all the English words used for a specific Hebrew or Greek word--Then could you not just search on the word in Greek or Hebrew, then take that list of references, convert the list to whichever English version you were interested in, then use some combination of word list and verse list manager to elimate the possiblitiies one by one.

This may not be the easiest way, but it seems to be a way.

manthano
10-17-2006, 12:05 AM
This isn't exactly a BW solution, but there is a book that does exactly what you are trying to do. It's The New Strong's Complete Dictionary of Bible Words. ISBN: 078511470. Here's an Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Strongs-Complete-Dictionary-Bible-Words/dp/0785211470/sr=8-1/qid=1161057116/ref=sr_1_1/002-3654999-4196009?ie=UTF8&s=books). It appears to be around $10. It has three sections: English, Hebrew, and Greek. In the English section it lists a word then all the Hebrew and Greek words which have been translated by that word with the Strong's #.