PDA

View Full Version : How to access a lemma in HALOT in Logos

MBD
10-05-2006, 06:58 AM
This is an old question, but I am an old user who quickly forgets. I have two versions of HALOT, hardcopy, and the Brill electronic version which works through Logos. I have followed instructions so that I can get to HALOT in Logos from BW 7. But it gets me to the introductory page. Is there a way that I can, e.g., right click on a Hebrew word in BW and access the lemma for that word in HALOT (on Logos) and not just the introductory page?

If there is a way, could somebody write up the exact programming script I need.

I wish there were a way for those of us who have bought Brill's HALOT CD to get a steep discount on the BW version. I have already paid royalties twice!
Michael

Michael Burer
10-05-2006, 09:35 AM
I wish there were a way for those of us who have bought Brill's HALOT CD to get a steep discount on the BW version. I have already paid royalties twice!

Not to get off on a tangent which confuses the thread, but think about this from the standpoint of the author and/or publisher. Would you expect to get a discount on a second printed copy of HALOT if you decided you needed another copy? Why should the software version be any different? The publisher (and then in turn the author through their contract) is due their fair share on every unit they sell; in fact, in most cases the publisher demands it, which explains the constraints on many third-party software companies which produce electronic versions of printed texts (like BW and Logos) in selling these texts.

MBD
10-05-2006, 10:36 AM
OK to be fair, I would gladly return my Brill-Logos CD for a more usable BW version. I only need one easily accessed copy.

Michael Hanel
10-05-2006, 10:58 AM
I think we all agree on the idea of "paying for the same thing twice" kinda stinks, so I won't blame anyone for that.

I only have HALOT via BW7, so I can't really speak to how it would work to link it to your other HALOT, but this thread (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158) should have the right information in theory.

frdee
10-05-2006, 03:19 PM
It's currently not possible to get to the HALOT entries in Logos software through the external links manager. It has something to do with whatever BW sends or what Logos receives.

Damian

bcblackwell
01-03-2007, 07:10 AM
I got the BDAG search to work. So I tried setting up the HALOT search, and I'm getting an odd output from BW7. Here's the external link code:
//
// External Link #1
//
[Logos Halot - test]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=<dummy>|lang=he|scheme=beta|res=HAL
Parameters = NULL
MenuLocation = Browse Window Hebrew
TextType = Hebrew Morphology
MapToVersion = WTT
Lookup = Lemma
MenuText = _Logos Halot - test
Enabled = 1

and the results (with different TextType/Lookup combinations and with different words--yqb, lqk, etc.):
Lemma/Hebrew Morph: L)HSRE:F)TBEMEHECS:FY:MMDUHECR)SE:FCSI)BHCR)SEME)N :FGLO)DISALDXNIROBLI
Lemma/Hebrew Text: L)HSRE:F)TBEMEHECS:FY:MMDUHECR)SE:FCSI)BHCR)SEME)N :FGLO)DISALDXNIROBLI
Form/Hebrew Text: <dummy>
Form/Hebrew Morph: <dummy>

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I realize that with Logos, I may not get it to map correctly. But I'd like to figure out how to get the correct output from BW.

Ben

btw, a partial work around is to look up verse references in HALOT using external links.

Eagle
01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I sympathize. For what it's worth, you could certainly sell either of your previous versions for a pretty good price.
Chris