PDA

View Full Version : Copying Unicode Greek into Word

jltstigall
10-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Whenever I copy Greek into a Word doc (word, clause, sentence, etc.) three (annoying) things happen: (1) a "hard return" is inserted after the copied text; (2) in prepositional phases where the final vowel drops, there is no space between words (e.g., μετ᾽αὐτῶν); (3) the font changes to Times New Roman 10 after the copied text, (yes, my default is TNR 12). Am I missing a setting, is this a problem with my machine, or are these bugs?

P.S. Issues 1 and 3 occur when I paste English text into Word.

Running:
BW7
XP Pro
Word 2003

MGVH
10-03-2006, 01:21 PM
TimesNewRoman is not a fully compliant Unicode font in the Greek character range, so that might be part of the problem.
I like the free Cardo font, but there are a number of other good Greek Unicode font sets. I have links from this page (http://www.gettysburgseminary.org/mhoffman/greek/fonts.htm).

jltstigall
10-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks Mark. I am, however, using Gentium for my Unicode font (with Keyman by Tavultesoft and the Greek Classical keyboard), so I have that set as my export font in BW.

Another issue I noticed today with copying has to do with "chapter separators" in the "Copy Center Format Options" box. When I change the separator to "." the title of the work/chapter and the reference is superscripted. (Oddly, if I insert ".:" the text is fine.) Is this another glitch? If I am copying references from the Apostolic Fathers, Philo, or Josephus, the proper formatting is with a ".".

David Kummerow
10-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Whenever I copy Greek into a Word doc (word, clause, sentence, etc.) three (annoying) things happen: (1) a "hard return" is inserted after the copied text; (2) in prepositional phases where the final vowel drops, there is no space between words (e.g., μετ᾽αὐτῶν); (3) the font changes to Times New Roman 10 after the copied text, (yes, my default is TNR 12). Am I missing a setting, is this a problem with my machine, or are these bugs?

Hi,

To let you know, I have the same problems 1) and 2). Problem 3) doesn't occur for me. Perhaps this is because I'm using Minion Pro for both my Greek and English export font in BW as well as my default font in Word.

I also have problems with Hebrew as mentioned here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475#2) and reproduced below:

"I often paste Hebrew text in and amongst English text. However, when the Hebrew is pasted from BW, it always wants to be right-justified rather simply be pasted into the English sentence itself. For example, I could write the following

The clause
after which I want to paste Hebrew text, say, the beginning of Gen 1:1. When this is pasted, it ends up like this:

בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים The clause

It should read:

The clause בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים
To overcome the problem, I paste the Hebrew text into a new, separate line in the Word document after which I select it and cut-and-paste it into the desired place."

Better, though, would be the option of being able to say whether you want the text to be right-aligned and with a carriage return after it or not.

Regards,
David Kummerow.