PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Grammatical Commentary

MortenJensen
09-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi
I've got a suggestion to make: BW should consinder including a grammatical commentary in the right hand pane window. I only know of Hanna's A Grammatical Aid to the Greek New Testament that covers the entire NT, but something like that. It would be a great help to have that along with the word analysis.
Thanks for considering this.
Morten

MortenJensen
09-26-2006, 03:54 AM
Hi again
Let me just add that it would also be of great help if Metzger's textual commentary already included likewise was accesable directly from the text - i.e. syncronized with the text on display so yo would not have to browse through it as a regular book.

Would it not be possible to implement that rather easily?

Morten

Michael Hanel
09-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Hi again
Let me just add that it would also be of great help if Metzger's textual commentary already included likewise was accesable directly from the text - i.e. syncronized with the text on display so yo would not have to browse through it as a regular book.

Would it not be possible to implement that rather easily?

Morten

I guess I might not understand you, but Metzger is linked to the Bible verses it refers to via the Resource Summary Window.... Do you mean something different?

MortenJensen
09-27-2006, 03:36 AM
Well, maybe I haven't found the right way of using Metzger yet. I always go to "Resource Summary", "References" and then Metzger. From there, I have to browse through the book.
I am thinking of a way to have it instant available - in a sense like it was toggled along with the text you are looking at.
Is that already possible?
Morten

Adelphos
09-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Well, maybe I haven't found the right way...

If I randomly select, say, John 1:18, and then hover over the word Theos, in the Resource Summary Window, all of the following are linked DIRECTLY to this verse --

Friberg lexicon, Barclay-Newman lexicon, Louw-Nida lexicon, Bauer-Danker lexicon, Liddell-Scott lexicon, Thayer lexicon, Lust-Eynikel-Hauspie lexicon, Gingrich lexicon, Harris TWOT, Davis Grammer, Burton Grammar, Conybeare Grammar, MacDonald Grammar, Robertson Grammar, BibleWorks Paradigms, Matthew Henry Commentary, Leedy NT Diagrams, Metzger Textual Commentary --

not including add-on modules.

In other words, BW already does what you want.

Glenn Weaver
09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Morten,

In your steps to using Metzger you mention that you select "Resource Summary" then "Resources" to open Metzger. You can open Metzger (or other resource) that way, but it won't open to where you want it to open.

Instead, open Metzger from the "Summary" tab. This way Metzger will open to the place you choose. If you display John 1:18, then scroll down the "Summary" tab to the entry for Metzger, you will see two entries for John 1:18. You will have to choose the entry you wish to see. Because there are often multiple entries of any given verse, it is impossible for the program to open the resource to the exactly verse you want to see.

You can keep Metzger open as you scroll through the Bible text, and select whichever entry from the "Summary" tab that you wish to view. If you are using Metzger a lot, you can move Metzger to the top of the "Summary" window using the buttons at the bottom of the "Resource" tab. (You will need to have a recent program update to do this. If not, then the buttons to move Metzger will not appear. If not, this is a good reason to get the free update!)

Glenn

MortenJensen
09-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks to both of you! It demonstrates once again how powerful BW is.

That sorted out, what do you think of my suggestion to top the resources already embedded in BW with a grammatical commentary?

I hope that would be possible.

Morten

Adelphos
09-28-2006, 10:28 AM
That sorted out, what do you think of my suggestion to top the resources already embedded in BW with a grammatical commentary?

Are the five grammars I already listed, each of which is synchronized to the current verse, not what you would consider a grammatical commentary?

Michael Hanel
09-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Are the five grammars I already listed, each of which is synchronized to the current verse, not what you would consider a grammatical commentary?

From his description, it sounds like the key word would be "embedded" -- that he's looking for a commentary to be like another "version" in the browse window. Would that be accurate?

Adelphos
09-28-2006, 03:32 PM
From his description, it sounds like the key word would be "embedded" -- that he's looking for a commentary to be like another "version" in the browse window. Would that be accurate?

Michael, you're working too hard ;)

In his first post he stated --

"I've got a suggestion to make: BW should consinder including a grammatical commentary IN THE RIGHT HAND PANE WINDOW."

BTW, re your response to hd space in another post, I guess it's a good thing I now have a 250G drive, huh? :rolleyes: Not to mention backups.

MortenJensen
01-10-2007, 03:02 AM
Hi all
Exuce me for bringing this up again. I actually think my suggestion could be something of a scoop for BW - a selling point.

My case is that, yes, we have many grammatical tools embedded in BW but they all go from the subject matter to the text - none goes the other way around.

What we need more is a GRAMMATICAL COMMENTARY that goes through each verse (more or less) in a consecutive manner explaining difficult grammatical constructions.

Right now you are lucky if a difficult construct happens to be explained as an example in one of the grammars.

One such book that does that is Hanna's book, A Grammatical Aid to the Greek New Testament.

Let me give an example: the construction in Luke 8:27
evxelqo,nti de. auvtw/| evpi. th.n gh/n u`ph,nthsen avnh,r tij evk th/j po,lewj e;cwn daimo,nia
is easily analyzed when speaking of paradigms (using BW of cause...) - but what kind of construction is "evxelqo,nti de. auvtw"? It is something as peculiar as a dative absolute. I was able to find that out using BW's Summary tab (the Greek enchiridion) - but a consecutive grammatical commentary as Hanna's would explain this along with many other constructions not explained otherwise.

I hope I make myself clear. I think this a lacuna in all bible software I know of - and would it not be great if BW was the first to cover it?

Morten

Michael Hanel
01-10-2007, 11:52 AM
I've never really checked out the Hanna book out until now. It reminds me a lot of the Grammatical Analysis (http://www.amazon.com/Grammatical-Analysis-Greek-New-Testament/dp/8876535888/sr=8-1/qid=1168447416/ref=sr_1_1/103-6643274-2645415?ie=UTF8&s=books) book keyed to Zerwick (which I have found to be of so-so value). This book defiinitely seems like a helpful volume however. Essentially it is an abridgment of grammatical notes found in the big reference grammars. It is very streamlined and focuses on comments which "call for particular clarification and are discussed in the eight reference grammars on which I have drawn."

So while some of this information is already contained with the grammars included in BW, this would be a nice addition because it is efficient and rather user-friendly.

Also perhaps of interest, are two books: A Cumulative Index to New Testament Greek Grammars by Timothy Owings and A Cumulative Index to the Grammar and Syntax of Biblical Hebrew, by Frederic Clarke Putnam. Both of these provide models of how BW can aim to give a quick glance of what grammars comment on which passages.

MortenJensen
01-12-2007, 03:17 AM
Thanks for your reply, Michael.

In my opinion, the book by Hanna is something quite different from the Zerwick book.

The cumulative index you mention is new to me. Unfortunately, it cannot be found at any webstore! The only place I can locate is (of cause) at Tyndale house, www.tyncat.com (http://www.tyncat.com). They have everything.

Is it not a proper book but rather an off-print or so?

Morten

jakemccarty
01-12-2007, 08:20 AM
I would not recommend A Cumulative Index to the Grammar and Syntax of Biblical Hebrew, by Frederic Clarke Putnam.

But....

The new JM grammar has just been published. I think Bibleworks would do well to integrate a third solid Hebrew grammar (IBHS and GKC are the other two) into their platform.

Michael Hanel
01-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for your reply, Michael.

In my opinion, the book by Hanna is something quite different from the Zerwick book.

The cumulative index you mention is new to me. Unfortunately, it cannot be found at any webstore! The only place I can locate is (of cause) at Tyndale house, www.tyncat.com (http://www.tyncat.com). They have everything.

Is it not a proper book but rather an off-print or so?

Morten

The cumulative index books are indices to the grammar books. So you can look up Gen 4:1 and it lists the diff grammars' page/or section # that talk about said passage. It doesn't have any content, it's just an index, but it is a way to quickly see if any of the standard grammars treat a specific verse without opening up 5 different books.

Author: Owings, Timothy.
Title: A cumulative index to New Testament Greek grammars / Timothy
Owings.
Publisher: Grand Rapids, Mich. : Baker Book House, c1983.