PDA

View Full Version : Parallel window syncing problem

CMBessette
09-20-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm using BW 6 w/ all the updates. There is a problem with the parallel versions syncing when I enter a new Bible reference. I describe how to reproduce the problem here:

1. Open a parallel window containing WTT/NKJ ("p wtt nkj")
2. Add the command-line box to the NKJ side (w/ right-click)
3. Now enter "joh 1:5" as the new reference in the command-line (note: we're going from Hebrew to Greek)
4. You will note that the NKJ side switches to John 1, the WTT does not change
5. Now enter "5" in the command-line (i.e., referencing verse 5)
6. You will note that the WTT side now switches to the John 1:5 reference in the Greek

My question: Why do I have to enter the verse number (a second time) for it to sync? Shouldn't the WTT side switch to the GNT the first time I enter a reference?

Thanks!

CMBessette
09-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Anyone? :confused:

Glenn Weaver
09-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi Casey,

This works the same way in BW7 also. The way it works can be advantageous--it allows you to view two different passages without the two passages synchronizing. For example, you can view Genesis in Hebrew and John 1 in Greek. You can synchronize the two windows by pressing the synchronization button (a button with 4 connected boxes).

I do not believe that this is a bug--in fact, the "bug", if any, is that it synchronizes at all when entering a verse using the attached command line! The drop-down passage select buttons at the top of the parallel windows do not synchronize the verses.

Hope this helps.
Glenn

CMBessette
09-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks for your reply!

A question then: Is there a way to have synced parallel windows that stay synced all the time, regardless of which one I move? It would help if the Sync button were not a button but a switch--to keep syncing on or off. Basically what I want is a multiple-version mode that's parallel, showing more than one verse at a time. It would make it easier for following along in class in Hebrew/English, seeing the entire context of the passage, and changing references quickly without having to resync everything.

It would also be nice if the verse numbers matched up automatically, especially since the Hebrew verses normally take more space than the English. It's hard to follow when you're at verse 4 in the Hebrew and next to that verse (in the parallel English side) you're at verse 10.

Perhaps these are things version 7 is capable of . . but they nevertheless seem rather basic to me, and I wish BW 6 could do these things.

Suggestions?

Glenn Weaver
09-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi Casey,

There are a few things you can do. Perhaps one of them will best suit the way you use the Parallel Windows.

There is a shortcut key to synchronize the Parallel Windows--with your cursor in the window that contains the verse you want to view, press the 's' key on your keyboard. This will synchronize all the windows to your main window. This is the same function as the synchronization button.

If you want to scroll through the text with all windows scroll together, do the following: place your cursor in a Parallel Window and press the 'Ctl-Shift-UP' arrow. This changes the default function of simply moving the cursor through the text to actually scrolling the text when you press the up or down arrows on your keyboard. Now, when you press the up or down arrows on the keyboard, your parallel windows will scroll in synchronization.

You may want to periodically synchronize the windows if the display does not line up. The Parallel Windows do not automatically line up the text when scrolling, nor does it put space between verses to make sure that the verses always line up.

For more information on this in BW6, you can look at your BW6 manual on pp. 65, 390-91.

Hope this helps.
Glenn

CMBessette
09-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Very, very helpful! Thank you very much! :D