PDA

View Full Version : Using Exegetical Software in the Classroom - A Panel Discussion

Joe Fleener
05-04-2004, 08:42 PM
This seminar is a "work-in-progress".

We are now considering holding three "Focus Groups" for the purpose of discussing some of the issues and concerns that professors have with integrating Exegetical Software into language instruction. Some of the questions/concerns are (but not limited to):

1. How do you ensure students are learning the language and not just the software?

2. Pedagogically, how does your teaching change with a classroom full of laptops?

3. Whose responsibility is it to teach the students how to properly use these new tools (i.e. language instructor, librarian, etc)?

If you have any other suggestion on topics/questions please pass them my way.

Again if you would be interested in attending this please let me know. I will be sending out more "official" information soon.

For His Glory,

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

"Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary located in Lansdale, PA (~45 minutes north of Philadelphia) is considering hosting a professor's conference in July.

The conference would be geared for those professors who have often thought, "I would like to use BibleWorks (or Accordance, etc.) in my instruction, but how?"

The conference would consist of a panel of 4 or 5 professors who have already been using such software in their teaching. Each panel member would briefly demonstrate how they currently use the software in the classroom. This would be followed by facilitator lead Q&A between the panel members and those in attendance.

Please email me and let me know... (fleener@rcn.com)
1. Would you be interested in attending such a conference?
2. Do you have suggestions for panel members who currently use exegetical software in the classroom? (Preferably in the Philadelphia area.) "

For His Glory,

Joe Fleener
Director of Library Services
Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary
1380 S. Valley Forge Road
Lansdale, PA 19446
215-368-7538 x. 137

Charlie
05-19-2004, 02:27 PM
This topic has frequently come up in conversations I have had with instructors over the years. Are there others out there who would be interested in discussing issues related to using exetical software in the classroom? If so, let's begin such a discussion here in this thread. There is a good chance we may host a discussion on this topic at the SBL annual meeting this fall. Your feedback would be helpful.

So, how have you seen BibleWorks used (successfully, or not) in the classroom?

Charlie

Philip Brown
05-19-2004, 10:49 PM
I have used BibleWorks for two years now in teaching Greek I & II, and Hebrew I.

My use of the program has involved the following:
1. Demonstration of how to use BW generally
2. Demonstration of how to accomplish specific assignments (word studies, subject studies, searching for grammatical constructions)
3. To supplement lectures on lexical semantics

My use of BW would be greater if all the classrooms I use had a dedicated video project and the program on the school server with adequate server connection.

I have also demoed BW to a Graduate Hebrew class while at Bob Jones Seminary.

I had my Hebrew I students work through adapted parts of Futato's BW tutorials and found them quite helpful in exposing the student to a substantial range of BW's functionality. I wish there was something comparable for Greek.

Joe Fleener
05-25-2004, 08:03 AM
This seminar is a "work-in-progress".

We are now considering holding three "Focus Groups" for the purpose of discussing some of the issues and concerns that professors have with integrating Exegetical Software into language instruction. Some of the questions/concerns are (but not limited to):

1. How do you ensure students are learning the language and not just the software?

2. Pedagogically, how does your teaching change with a classroom full of laptops?

3. Whose responsibility is it to teach the students how to properly use these new tools (i.e. language instructor, librarian, etc)?

If you have any other suggestion on topics/questions please pass them my way.

Again if you would be interested in attending this please let me know. I will be sending out more "official" information soon.

For His Glory,

Joe Fleener
06-02-2004, 09:30 AM
You can download a PDF flyer for this seminar @ http://users.rcn.com/fleener/Flyer.pdf

-- It was too large to upload (24k)

Please feel free to print, copy and distribute this to anyone who might be interested.

For His glory,

Joe Fleener

Exegetical Software in Classroom Instruction

A Professors’ Forum

With the growth and development of electronic tools (such as BibleWorks, Accordance, Logos, etc.) professors are rethinking pedagogy.

Ø How do we make use of these “new” tools in the classroom?

Ø How can these “new” tools help me prepare for teaching?

Ø How do we instruct our students so that these “new” tools are a help and not a hindrance to their language development?

Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary will be hosting a one day “Professors’ Forum” to discuss many of these questions. Please join us for a time of networking and focused discussion centered on this very important topic.

1380 S. Valley Forge Road Lansdale, PA 19446

Date: Friday, July 9th

Schedule:

Ø Refreshments: 8:30am - 9am

Ø Opening Forum: 9am - 9:50am

Ø Focus Group #1: 10am - 10:50am

Ø Focus Group #2: 11am - 11:50am

Ø Lunch 12 – 1pm

Ø Focus Group #3: 1:10pm - 2pm

Ø Closing Forum: 2pm - 3pm

Cost: There is no fee to attend. However, lunch will be provided on location for $8.00.

RSVP: Please call Joe Fleener @ 215-368-7538 x. 137 for more information and/or to register by Friday, July 2nd.

Joe Fleener
06-18-2004, 10:43 AM
This seminar is coming up quick. Things are coming along well and there is a similar seminar being planed to be held @ SBL this year.

If you live anywhere close to the Philly area please join us for the day.

For His Glory,

Charlie
07-06-2004, 10:38 AM
The professor's roundtable explained here is happening this week. Are any of you planning to attend?

Joe Fleener
07-09-2004, 09:15 PM
We had an excellent day @ our Professor's Forum.

One item that came out of this was the desire to start a discussion group via the web for the specific purpose of interacting over Technology in the classroom.

"This group developed out of a Professor's Forum held @ Calvary Baptist Theological Seminary on July 9, 2004.

Several of us gather together for the purpose of discussing issues related to integrating the use of Exegetical Software in Classroom Instruction. Asking how has/is technology changing pedagogy within Theological Education.

Most (but not necessarily all) of us are educators at theological institutions. This discussion group is designed for all those interested to share ideas specific to integrating technology into theological education."

Post message: pedagogytechnology@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: pedagogytechnology-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: pedagogytechnology-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner: pedagogytechnology-owner@yahoogroups.com

This will allow us to share information via an online group discussion. You can each join and choose how you want to receive emails (either immediately as they are posted or as an end of the day summary email).

As we send message to the group every member of the group will see the message and have the oppotunity to respond. You can send attachements to the group via email. The attachments will not be stored on the Yahoo Groups site, but each regestered member will receive the attachment.

Please let me know if you have any questions. The real value of this group will be found in the discussion and interation.

For God's glory,

Joe Fleener

BibleWorks - Philadelphia Regional Trainer

Joe Fleener
11-06-2004, 08:41 PM
If you are planning to be in San Antonio, please plan on attending our panel discussion!

----------------------------------------------------

Panel Discussion: Exegetical Software in the Classroom

The Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting (http://www.sbl-site.org/congresses/Congresses_AnnualMeeting.aspx) Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center Room #210A San Antonio, TX
Friday, November 19, 2004

1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Attendance is free and no registration is necessary. This discussion is an offering of The Society of Biblical Literature (SBL) 2004 Annual Meeting. You must be registered for the SBL annual meeting in order to participate in the discussion. To register for the annual meeting click here (http://www.sbl-site.org/congresses/Congresses_AnnualMeeting.aspx).

The purpose and direction of this panel discussion has been set by a group of educators from theological institutions in the Philadelphia area who met in July 2004 to start an on going discussion that would help those involved make more effective use of computer tools in their teaching. If you would like to join those involved in the July 2004 meeting in an online discussion click here (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pedagogytechnology/). This online group is also the best place to go with any suggestions or questions you have regarding the SBL panel discussion.

Format:
Each member of a panel will give a brief presentation on his/her use of exegetical software as a tool for instruction. This presentation will be followed by moderated questions and answers.

Some questions panelists will discuss include:
1. How do you ensure students are learning Greek or Hebrew and not just the software?
3. Whose responsibility (e.g. Greek/Hebrew prof, librarian, etc.) is it to teach the students the proper use of these new tools?
4. How can we use the tools to aid in retention of the languages?
5. Can these tools help in non-language courses, and if so, how?
6. How do these tools fit into our "outcome based" educational assessments?
7. What does a sustainable skill set include?

Panel Coordinator:
Joseph Fleener
Lansdale, Pa.

Panel Members:
Rodney J. Decker
Assoc. Professor of New Testament
Baptist Bible Seminary
Clarks Summit, Pa.

Tom Finley
Professor of Old Testament and Semitics